Page 12 of 75 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: 4th & 5th June 2016 Boinger Bash --- Event and Payment Details

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post

It could well have been a Cornish mole, it had six toes, webbed feet and I baited the trap with a pasty.
    So when will you be releasing Nick, Mick??
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by NewPaul View Post
    Nearly there Tone So, are you gonna get some private time with that lovely New 300S today ? I'm off today so will spend a couple hours at my newly found 60 yard range and get a bit more acquainted with my new HW95K
    How did it go with your 95 then, Pauly Boy?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

NewPaul is offline Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    How did it go with your 95 then, Pauly Boy?
    Very well today. I took it up there last Saturday and it was scatter gunning a bit but I had tried various brands of pellets through so I left a little disappointed. It also hadn't been used much, or for a long time by the previous owner. So, today, I cleaned the barrel and stuck to RWS Superdomes and it was shooting as accurately as I was able to so I'm happy now. Just need a TbT with some Bum Slide now and I reckon I've got a cracker

I'll tell you all about my new range in 38 sleeps

Did you get some plinking in with the New 'un today ?
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

He's probably in bed with a certain Feinwerkbau........
    Well, having spent a little quality time with her this afternoon, I would say that there is a very strong likelihood of the above happening. I absolutely love this rifle to bits. I drooled over them as a starry eyed teenager, thinking they would always be out of my reach. Then other things happen and things go on the back burner.

The longing never went away and having a few goes with Mark's re-ignited that burning desire to own one.

So, again, many thanks to RustyBuzz, Tinbum and Blackrider. My dream finally came true and I now own and love this masterpiece of precision shooting engineering.

Well, having spent a little quality time with her this afternoon, I would say that there is a very strong likelihood of the above happening. I absolutely love this rifle to bits. I drooled over them as a starry eyed teenager, thinking they would always be out of my reach. Then other things happen and things go on the back burner.

The longing never went away and having a few goes with Mark's re-ignited that burning desire to own one.

So, again, many thanks to RustyBuzz, Tinbum and Blackrider. My dream finally came true and I now own and love this masterpiece of precision shooting engineering.
    Excellent Tony, you sound made up mate
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

Very well today. I took it up there last Saturday and it was scatter gunning a bit but I had tried various brands of pellets through so I left a little disappointed. It also hadn't been used much, or for a long time by the previous owner. So, today, I cleaned the barrel and stuck to RWS Superdomes and it was shooting as accurately as I was able to so I'm happy now. Just need a TbT with some Bum Slide now and I reckon I've got a cracker

I'll tell you all about my new range in 38 sleeps

Did you get some plinking in with the New 'un today ?
    Nice one, Little Paul, and so glad you had a good session.

Most .22 HWs do seem to like the 'Domes.

Did I get a plink in, or what? Indeedy!

Richard told me that it would need zeroing, which it did. Once sighted in, well......unbelievable! Okay, okay, at the short 10 yards I was shooting at, all of my HWs will put pellet after pellet down the same hole, and you'd be gobsmacked if this match rifle couldn't achieve that. No disappointment in that area. Shot after shot down the same hole. Ten shot groups only slightly larger than a single pellet hole and that was in "plinking mode", just running lead through it and getting to know it. It's the ease with which it does this that is so impressive and addictive.

Recoilless-ish it may be, but unlike a pneumatic which I find "dead and boring", this thing has character. You're aware that something's going on, you feel a little "something" through the stock, but there is no sight picture movement and it is just so easy. It has the feel of a Swiss-made expensive watch, an emotion that is further amplified by the ratchet as you cock the sidelever, like winding a precision mechanical watch.

The finish and detailing is beautiful.

And the thing is so rock steady on aim.

Oh, and yes, the trigger is to die for!! Light, yet positive and crisp. A proper demonstration of precision engineering. I think I've seen it quoted before that if they were to build them like this these days, they would have to ask £1500 plus. I can believe it!

Wished I'd chased my dream and bought one years ago.

And I'll say this quietly, as I don't want to upset any of my HWs, this rifle has leapfrogged every other one of my guns to my personal #1 spot.

Well you've got her now mate is that whole performance as factory built without post tuning ?

I can only guess that the innards are standard, Paul.

Bear in mind that these are low-powered, heavyweight match rifles for short range paper shooting so, theoretically, get it out of the box and go shooting comps. No tuning required. Beautifully engineered things, made to tight tolerances; the piston employs steel / iron piston rings as opposed to leather or synthetic. The Owners Manual (easily found on a Google search) states no lubing required . The pressures involved for making this power are much lower than for guns expected to shoot at 10+ and all that weight, even if the gun didn't have the sliding sledge arrangement, would soak up loads of recoil.

Even without the sledge, I guess that if you took a 77/97/TX, reduced the stroke drastically, lightened the piston and set it up to shoot at a lowly 6ft.lbs would be fantastic. Bear in mind that when people short stroke them but want full power, they have to use lots of spring. At 6ft.lbs, this simply wouldn't be required. Stick the whole lot in a heavy, target style stock and it'll be lovely.

I won't be the first to think along those lines, and I guess that there may be a few thus converted 77s and TXs used for bell target?

That's a great explanation that I can understand. Thanks Tony, I usually get lost with the in-depth gun tech stuff but I'm getting there
    Last edited by NewPaul; 27-04-2016 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Typo

I can only guess that the innards are standard, Paul.

Bear in mind that these are low-powered, heavyweight match rifles for short range paper shooting so, theoretically, get it out of the box and go shooting comps. No tuning required. Beautifully engineered things, made to tight tolerances; the piston employs steel / iron piston rings as opposed to leather or synthetic. The Owners Manual (easily found on a Google search) states no lubing required . The pressures involved for making this power are much lower than for guns expected to shoot at 10+ and all that weight, even if the gun didn't have the sliding sledge arrangement, would soak up loads of recoil.

Even without the sledge, I guess that if you took a 77/97/TX, reduced the stroke drastically, lightened the piston and set it up to shoot at a lowly 6ft.lbs would be fantastic. Bear in mind that when people short stroke them but want full power, they have to use lots of spring. At 6ft.lbs, this simply wouldn't be required. Stick the whole lot in a heavy, target style stock and it'll be lovely.

I won't be the first to think along those lines, and I guess that there may be a few thus converted 77s and TXs used for bell target?
    Hi Tone, I have had a request for a 6ft lb tx, the plan is sleeved down to 21mm, and whatever stroke gives me the power I want , o ringed of course, I also have a 300, have you scoped yours up ?I was considering having a go at getting the power up but as you say they are sublime as is .

If I remember correctly, Pauly, competition for the 300S back in the day came in the form of the Anschutz 250, Walther LGU and Original 75.

I never really fancied the Walther for some reason. Maybe 'cos it was a single stroke pneumatic.

The Diana / Original rifles used opposing pistons. A conventional one travelled forward towards the transfer port, compressed the air and drove the pellet. The other piston travelled rearwards. The forces from this one cancelled out the forces from the other one.

The Anschutz was more conventional, in that the action to stock fit was via hydraulically damped "rods". So, like the Feinwerkbau, not a recoilless action, but no recoil felt to the shooter.

I seem to remember that the FWB and the Walther were the ones scrapping it out for top honours at top level competition.

The FWB was the one I always wanted. And, back then, I had a real soft spot for the Anschutz, maybe due to the fact that I had often shot Anschutz .22 rimfire competition rifles at the club where I went when I was a mere sprog.

Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    Hi Tone, I have had a request for a 6ft lb tx, the plan is sleeved down to 21mm, and whatever stroke gives me the power I want , o ringed of course, I also have a 300, have you scoped yours up ?I was considering having a go at getting the power up but as you say they are sublime as is .
    Hi Nick,

With your skills and especially the success that you have enjoyed with your ally and skirtless pistons (your skirtless TX is utterly sublime and one of my stand-out rifles), I'd probably be tempted to stick to 25mm.......Yeah, I know it may seem less adventurous, but it'd be quicker and easier and it means you could go very short stroke. The lesser pressures involved would, hopefully, render piston bounce almost a non-issue????

My 300 is on the diopter sights. Part of me says that it ought to remain so, for originality. The other half says to scope it up for more precision at longer range. After all, they used to make one intended for scope use, didn't they? Was it the "running boar" version? Or, if I kept this one on the diopters, I could hatch a cunning plan to, one day, get a scoped one, too!!!!

I know some have upped the power on them but I just feel that there are plenty of other rifles out there that will make the power ex-factory. As these rifles get older and more rare, I feel they should be left standard. I also feel the same with the HW55, although that's a totally different animal.

Hi Nick,

With your skills and especially the success that you have enjoyed with your ally and skirtless pistons (your skirtless TX is utterly sublime and one of my stand-out rifles), I'd probably be tempted to stick to 25mm.......Yeah, I know it may seem less adventurous, but it'd be quicker and easier and it means you could go very short stroke. The lesser pressures involved would, hopefully, render piston bounce almost a non-issue????

My 300 is on the diopter sights. Part of me says that it ought to remain so, for originality. The other half says to scope it up for more precision at longer range. After all, they used to make one intended for scope use, didn't they? Was it the "running boar" version? Or, if I kept this one on the diopters, I could hatch a cunning plan to, one day, get a scoped one, too!!!!

I know some have upped the power on them but I just feel that there are plenty of other rifles out there that will make the power ex-factory. As these rifles get older and more rare, I feel they should be left standard. I also feel the same with the HW55, although that's a totally different animal.
    When I first got mine , I put it on the kitchen table on its bi pod , and let the wife have a go , with the comment of how do I use these ( peep hole sights ) at 15 yds she took 5 shots and then went to look at the target card , result 5 shots clover leaf, These guns are superb, and the finest trigger I have had the pleasure of using,
    I already have a sleeved comp tube and piston, so will have a play, at the reduced diameter I may have trouble getting a spring light enough for the lower power.
    though, the owner has tried 25mm and reckons that with the spring reduced enough to get the power down the firing cycle is horrible .

[...]
    And I'll say this quietly, as I don't want to upset any of my HWs, this rifle has leapfrogged every other one of my guns to my personal #1 spot.
    I hope you'll be very happy together Tone.

Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    When I first got mine , I put it on the kitchen table on its bi pod , and let the wife have a go , with the comment of how do I use these ( peep hole sights ) at 15 yds she took 5 shots and then went to look at the target card , result 5 shots clover leaf, These guns are superb, and the finest trigger I have had the pleasure of using,
    I already have a sleeved comp tube and piston, so will have a play, at the reduced diameter I may have trouble getting a spring light enough for the lower power.
    though, the owner has tried 25mm and reckons that with the spring reduced enough to get the power down the firing cycle is horrible .
    What stroke on the 25mm, Nick?

Lovely story re your wife's diopter experience.

On the odd shot, my vision was getting a little blurred and fuzzy and I had to look away before taking aim again. You think you've pulled a shot wide but then look at the card and all was good anyway. Although I have used them a little over the years (but not as much as many, especially the dedicated target peeps) there's always something so satisfying about shooting tiny groups on opens, and the brain's ability to line up circles is mind-boggling.