Thread: Carbon Wrap air tanks

Carbon Wrap air tanks

Can anyone tell me a place that sells these at a reasonable price , I have been looking on the net but have had no joy.
    Don’t confuse luck with ability.

clunge is offline Buys suspicious amounts of hand sanitiser
    Hi Dodger (I think you sold me a 7 litre cylinder a couple of yrs ago).

I have not bought a similar sized CF wrap air tank, but I did buy a 0.36 litre CF wrap bottle for my Airwolf on aliexpress for ~£100. It's very good.

While I was researching this, I saw quite a few 2.6 litre (IIRC) and larger, CF bottles

Yes I remember you needed it quickly and came over to pick it up.
    That site seem to be in the US, I’m not 100% sure but I think they have to be UK compliant or you will not get them filled over here also I would like a 9lt one if possible, not a problem with the type you bought.

Thanks for the reply.

JR services Cullompton had one in the shop last week when I was in having my cyl filled, looked about 9ltr no idea of the price.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    JR services Cullompton had one in the shop last week when I was in having my cyl filled, looked about 9ltr no idea of the price.
    Thanks, will give them a call.

You could try looking up carbon wrapped cylinders for Firefighter's SCBA & drill back from there?
    The same way ordinary air cylinders were originally from the SCUBA world, carbon wrapped cylinders are too buoyant for diving but are pretty much state of the art in fireman's SCBA.
    I was working at a fire station a couple of years back that reequipped with Drager composite cylinders, possibly made by Luxfer. They had a layer of fibreglass armour, but compared to the metal cylinders they replaced they were ridiculously light.
    Probably quite expensive though.

A quick squint at their site shows they're being made with a 30 year life now, which means they'll have a realistic resale value, or you could use it for 30 years...

http://www.draeger.com/sites/assets/...inder_8ltr.pdf

I've got a 9ltr CF tank, the weight saving alone was my decision in buying it. I had a 3ltr stumpy tank before that and they weigh about the same.

If you can afford a CF tank, you won't be disappointed.
    Ex-Airgunner

Quote Originally Posted by oliver13 View Post
    You could try looking up carbon wrapped cylinders for Firefighter's SCBA & drill back from there?
    The same way ordinary air cylinders were originally from the SCUBA world, carbon wrapped cylinders are too buoyant for diving but are pretty much state of the art in fireman's SCBA.
    I was working at a fire station a couple of years back that reequipped with Drager composite cylinders, possibly made by Luxfer. They had a layer of fibreglass armour, but compared to the metal cylinders they replaced they were ridiculously light.
    Probably quite expensive though.

A quick squint at their site shows they're being made with a 30 year life now, which means they'll have a realistic resale value, or you could use it for 30 years...

http://www.draeger.com/sites/assets/...inder_8ltr.pdf
    Thanks
    Yes, the thing is getting one that is priced reasonably compared to steel ones, I seen them at a £1000 plus if you buy direct form the manufacturers.

By coincidence, I've just been doing a bit of browsing on these. I've spotted one with a blown thermoplastic polyester liner that contains a boss made from either stainless steel or aluminium and are then carbon fibre wrapped with epoxy resin to withstand rigorous use. Unlimited lifetime, apparently. 300 bar. 6.8L weighs 3.0kg and is £250 +VAT (excl. valve). http://www.ashsafety.com/cylinders.htm

Any opinions on these?

Quote Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
    By coincidence, I've just been doing a bit of browsing on these. I've spotted one with a blown thermoplastic polyester liner that contains a boss made from either stainless steel or aluminium and are then carbon fibre wrapped with epoxy resin to withstand rigorous use. Unlimited lifetime, apparently. 300 bar. 6.8L weighs 3.0kg and is £250 +VAT (excl. valve). http://www.ashsafety.com/cylinders.htm

Any opinions on these?
    Interesting
    These could be a game changer, my only doubt at the moment is there acceptance from some of the dive stations until they are happy with them, as I have been told they will decide if they will fill a bottle.

Make sure the working pressure is 300 bar/ test pressure should be around 450bar
    Lots of BA ones around (207 bar wp)
    Also a lot won't have gauges or bleed valves.
    Best fittings did have some a while ago may be worth a call.

Quote Originally Posted by Rammer View Post
    Make sure the working pressure is 300 bar/ test pressure should be around 450bar
    Lots of BA ones around (207 bar wp)
    Also a lot won't have gauges or bleed valves.
    Best fittings did have some a while ago may be worth a call.
    Clearly states 300bar charging in the link, & the price is for a bare cylinder without valve.

I have to agree with Dodger they look like the could well be a serious game changer in the PCP world.

Just weighed my 12 litre 300 bar tank and it was about 50lbs or 23kg. Believe me that's a heavy lump, like carrying a small child around.
    I'll buy one of the carbon wrapped ones if they are any good.
    She was only an Admiral's daughter but her naval base was full of discharged seamen.

6.8 litre Cylinder

Pellpax are currently advertising a 6.8 ltr carbon wrap cylinder, fully charged to 300 bar, complete with gauge and all the trimmings £300.

Expect more air gun shops to start stocking them and perhaps prices to fall.

M.
    Why be awkward, when with a little bit of effort you can be really impossible!