Thread: The things people do.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe

The things people do.

I was just browsing the website for the Royal Armouries Museum and had a look at their air pistol collection list. Although photo’s are almost non-existent they do give names to their pistols (sometimes incorrectly), and they do give information about the provenance of each item in the collection. I was surprised to find that almost were donated by the police after various firearms amnesties. I was even more surprised by some of the models that the general public had handed in to the police. Here are some of the more unexpected surrenderings (more than one of each in some cases):

Titan; Lincoln; Abas Major, boxed. Abas Major, unboxed; Pope Rifle Air Pistol; Scout, boxed; Thunderbolt Junior, Webley Junior, chrome plated; Webley Mk 2 Target, boxed; Haenel 28; Tell 2; Hubertus; Warrior; Acvoke; Harrington Gat; Garanta; Diana 2 gat; Excellent Phantom Repeater.

I suppose we should be thankful that they weren’t melted down for scrap, but it seems a shame that perfectly legal vintage airguns were taken out of collecting circles unnecessarily. They now remain buried in museum archives, undisplayed and with no photographs or descriptive details on record. Some of the meagre information that is provided even has errors [for example, the Dolla pistol, spelt wrongly as Dollar, is stated to have been by T.J. Harrington, and the Tell 2 is claimed to have been by Sauer].

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    I was just browsing the website for the Royal Armouries Museum and had a look at their air pistol collection list. Although photo’s are almost non-existent they do give names to their pistols (sometimes incorrectly), and they do give information about the provenance of each item in the collection. I was surprised to find that almost were donated by the police after various firearms amnesties. I was even more surprised by some of the models that the general public had handed in to the police. Here are some of the more unexpected surrenderings (more than one of each in some cases):

Titan; Lincoln; Abas Major, boxed. Abas Major, unboxed; Pope Rifle Air Pistol; Scout, boxed; Thunderbolt Junior, Webley Junior, chrome plated; Webley Mk 2 Target, boxed; Haenel 28; Tell 2; Hubertus; Warrior; Acvoke; Harrington Gat; Garanta; Diana 2 gat; Excellent Phantom Repeater.

I suppose we should be thankful that they weren’t melted down for scrap, but it seems a shame that perfectly legal vintage airguns were taken out of collecting circles unnecessarily. They now remain buried in museum archives, undisplayed and with no photographs or descriptive details on record. Some of the meagre information that is provided even has errors [for example, the Dolla pistol, spelt wrongly as Dollar, is stated to have been by T.J. Harrington, and the Tell 2 is claimed to have been by Sauer].
    Thanks for that, John. It left me feeling a bit queasy at the thought of all the rare airguns not handed over by the police and destroyed though...

Knowing how strapped for cash the police are nowadays, I wonder if it would be worth writing to our local forces offering to buy 'historic' and legal-to-own airguns that have been handed in by the public? Surely it would be well worth a dealer's while to do this... hint, hint Tim.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Thanks for that, John. It left me feeling a bit queasy at the thought of all the rare airguns not handed over by the police and destroyed though...

Knowing how strapped for cash the police are nowadays, I wonder if it would be worth writing to our local forces offering to buy 'historic' and legal-to-own airguns that have been handed in by the public? Surely it would be well worth a dealer's while to do this... hint, hint Tim.
    Im sorry, but I dont believe for one minute all the air pistols and rifles handed into the police during an amnesty find their way into the incinerator.
    The Gats, Relums and Webleys I can understand but some of the rarer, classic ones?
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Im sorry, but I don't believe for one minute all the air pistols and rifles handed into the police during an amnesty find their way into the incinerator.
    The Gats, Relums and Webleys I can understand but some of the rarer, classic ones?
    I had the same feeling when match .22RF weapons for standard pistol, rapid fire and free pistol were handed in post Dunblane.

Cynical, moi??
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Im sorry, but I dont believe for one minute all the air pistols and rifles handed into the police during an amnesty find their way into the incinerator.
    Well I hope you're right about that, Ian, even if it sounds a bit dodgy.

Interesting that the Royal Armouries Museum got given some hand-ins - presumably they didn't pay anything for them?

I expect it varies from one police force to another. The temptation for the desk sergeant to put a choice collectable to one side when it's handed in, rather than 'log it and bag it' properly, is probably too great for some to resist, although I expect the consequences for them if this was discovered would be pretty severe?

There's probably a lot of ignorance as to the value of an airgun when it arrives too - a Gat might be thought as valuable as a Lincoln pistol by the non-collector.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Cant hold back

I nearly responded just after CCDJG wrote this and then thought better of it.
    Like all of you I agree that non of the collectables should be destroyed, my own belief is that non of it should be destroyed, but you have to look at this from all angles, what about all the people who handed guns in which legally did not need to be handed in, for no compensation in the belief that they were going to be destroyed, do their wishes count for nothing? Just maybe some of the vintage stuff was sold off by police forces, was this given back to the original owners? I doubt it.
    I believe im also reliably informed that very little of the handguns handed in for compensation post dunblane were disposed of, after all at some point the government has to re-coup its outlay, Just look at the amount of section five arms sold through holts every three months, still around after all these years. They tell us one thing and do another as ever.
    eric

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    I don't know how these amnesty things work, but if they allow the donors to be completely anonymous by just having a big box with a slot that you drop your gun in, then I suppose there is no opportunity for police to inform a donor that their gun is both legal and valuable (always assuming they would). Perhaps we collectors should hang about outside the police station in the shadows and accost anyone who looks as though they may be dropping of a gun and make them an offer if it is a Highest Possible or Tell 3. Then again, maybe not a good idea.

A Farce

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    I don't know how these amnesty things work, but if they allow the donors to be completely anonymous by just having a big box with a slot that you drop your gun in, then I suppose there is no opportunity for police to inform a donor that their gun is both legal and valuable (always assuming they would). Perhaps we collectors should hang about outside the police station in the shadows and accost anyone who looks as though they may be dropping of a gun and make them an offer if it is a Highest Possible or Tell 3. Then again, maybe not a good idea.
    Yes John,
    all a bit of a farce really, is anyone who hands a gun in anonymously really going to hand a crime related weapon in? No! of course not, and any criminal who uses a gun isn't going to hand it in under any circumstances, they know this so its a good excuse for them not to hand any proceeds back to rightful owners. I cannot understand anyone bothering to hand anything in, why go to the trouble? just cut it up and throw it in the recycle bin if that's your inclination.
    But what use is the armouries having rare guns unless they are to be displayed for us to see? its all well and good them having them in the national interest, but little use to the collector.
    It would be better for all concerned if manpower was not such an issue and they could be administered better, and advice given to people where appropriate.
    eric

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post

I expect it varies from one police force to another. The temptation for the desk sergeant to put a choice collectable to one side when it's handed in, rather than 'log it and bag it' properly, is probably too great for some to resist, although I expect the consequences for them if this was discovered would be pretty severe?
    But whoes going to snitch on them?
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk