Thread: Tempest trigger tuning

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Tempest trigger tuning

I have mentioned a few times about the Tempest etc trigger tuning. My mate took pics and emailed them to Garvin, who will host them and hopefully add my notes. If he cannot add the notes, I'll add them once the pics are up if that makes sense?

From memory picture 1, no's 1,2 and 3 show the normal contact areas that people polish, (1) being where the sear contacts the piston, (2) where the sear contacts the holding face of the trigger and (3) the holding face of the trigger.
    Picture 2 shows where I do the work to reduce the "pause" in the trigger pull.
    (5) and (6) are the under side and back of the sear where they contact with the "bump" on the trigger, and (4) is the "bump" on the trigger. By reducing the "bump", you get a smoother pull, with less "pause" in the pull. Polishing the underside of the sear and trying to slightly round off the angled bit at the back also helps. You should be able to get a good idea of how good things are, by holding the trigger in the fingers of one hand and the sear in the fingers of the other and rubbing them together. You will feel less "drag" as you start to do the work.
    After that, you can wind out the trigger adjusting screw a little or cut a couple of coils off it as well. I think it really improves things for very little work.
    Last edited by ggggr; 26-04-2016 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Correcting numbers
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

thanks for this.. I have one in bits at the moment awaiting a new seal and spring... I think Ill do this while Im at it.
    Donald

Your pics and notes are here, Guy.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Thanks for this too, I nearly sold mine once but I love it so much that I kept it just wished the trigger was lighter, but havnt had the time to investigate the sears yet, so this will help!

Will also be interested to hear from anyone else that has given it a go already.

Atb
    Daniel

I polished mine all up last week but still have not reassembled. I need a new mainspring and im going to get a PE parachute seal made up for it.
    I didnt take much material off the sear, instead, i opted to snip 2 coils from the weight spring and go for the mirror finish... if theres not much improvement, i may file it down a little... the problem is its been in bits for so long and ive been shooting this fwb100 so much, im afraid i wont be able to compare before 'memories' to after !! 😃
    Donald

mine is still in bits Im afraid.. I think Ill just plump for a new spring and piston seal on payday and get her shooting again. this is the longest time Ive had a gun in pieces!
    Donald

Custom seal

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    mine is still in bits Im afraid.. I think Ill just plump for a new spring and piston seal on payday and get her shooting again. this is the longest time Ive had a gun in pieces!
    Donald, I might be loosing it but, did I read a thread some time back about you asking an Aussie company to make a custom piston seal for a Tempest? If so, did you, and any feedback on them you can share?

Cheers,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by sevorg View Post
    Donald, I might be loosing it but, did I read a thread some time back about you asking an Aussie company to make a custom piston seal for a Tempest? If so, did you, and any feedback on them you can share?

Cheers,

Tom
    Tom... sorry for the late reply.. I didn't see it till now.. no I didn't get the seal.. I'll try again.. they wanted me to do a cad drawing of it using some free software and I couldn't get my head round it... u sacked it off and got a spring and PTFE seal from protek

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    Out of curiousity, has anybody had a go at this yet? What did you reckon to the results?
    I didn't reprifile any if the seats but I did polish them on a wheel and shorten the trigger spring - well worth it... a lot lighter now and it really helps accuracy... breathed some life back into my favourite boyhood gun!!!
    Donald

Because that Network 54 link doesn't work now--try this https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....pest/#post-233

until Danny puts up a proper link cos I'm rubbish at such stuff
    Last edited by ggggr; 14-08-2020 at 09:39 AM.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Has anyone tried this yet?What did you reckoon to the results?
    I know one person who did it on a Hurricane and then a tempest and cannot believe the difference.

Hi Guy,
    I did this trigger tune on my Tempest and Hurricane with great results.
    Both are light and crisp.
    The two extra faces to polish and reducing the ‘bump’ seem to be a definite improvement on the usual obvious polishing most people reccomend.

From memory I kept working on them, reassembling and testing two or three times till I got them where I wanted, so I didn’t over do it.

Very pleased with the results, Hurricane has Beeman target grips and with a nice trigger is really accurate.

https://www.vintageairgunsgallery.co...e943de708c.jpg

https://www.vintageairgunsgallery.co...e32673a864.jpg

Cheers,
    Matt

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Hi Guy,
    I did this trigger tune on my Tempest and Hurricane with great results.
    Both are light and crisp.
    The two extra faces to polish and reducing the ‘bump’ seem to be a definite improvement on the usual obvious polishing most people reccomend.

From memory I kept working on them, reassembling and testing two or three times till I got them where I wanted, so I didn’t over do it.

Very pleased with the results, Hurricane has Beeman target grips and with a nice trigger is really accurate.

https://www.vintageairgunsgallery.co...e943de708c.jpg

https://www.vintageairgunsgallery.co...e32673a864.jpg

Cheers,
    Matt
    Thanks Matt. Orignally I sent a "tuned " trigger up to a mate and then he worked on his until it was the same. He reckoned about 20-25 minutes in total. He said the first time he didnt even fire the gun, just cocked and released it, knowing he had to do more. Obviously it is harder when you dont know how far you can go with it.
    It is always nice to know someone has had a result with some of these things