Thread: Big Brother

Big Brother

I recently acquired a FWB 603 with a laminate stock, makes a good comparison to the 603 Junior model that I already had.

Weight is the biggest factor, the full size 603 is considerably heavier ( 5+kg to just under 4kg for the Junior)

The Junior version does not have the anti vibration tube

Apart from the anti vibe tube and shorter sight radius the Junior has the same superb trigger, sights, adjustable stock and barrel as it’s big brother.

Junior by name but still has all the attributes of the full size rifle.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsky3fbvh

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Nice old classic Mark, I like the multicolour stock, very pretty and very period.

The tube is just a "tube", any muzzle break or deflector tubes to damp the exit air and reduce recoil unlike on air pistols is illegal on air rifles, the tube is generaly to vary the sight base length, attach muzzzle weights to, etc.

Good Shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Hi Robin

That's interesting. as I picked up this info from the AVA
    "At the left rear of the loading-gate is a small diameter cylinder a few inches long running along the rear of the receiver that contains the compensator mechanism - a small amount of the air is bled off into this as the rifle discharges to cancel out the impulse of a sudden 80-Bar blast of air against the base of the pellet."

Would this 603 be illegal in formal competition use then?

Mark

https://flic.kr/p/GdR51f
    Last edited by Mark D; 27-04-2016 at 09:27 AM.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Mark
    The compensator at the rear is perfectly legal and most modern match air rifles have some form of compensator.

I was perhaps not clear, the part that is not permitted under ISSF rules is any form of muzzle brake or air stripper or compensator at the MUZZLE which yours does not have, that part on yours is not an anti vibration tube, it is merely a tube, for sight lengthening, or ballance weight, as fitted on your senior as it is on most match air rifles. It is perfectly legal.

Air pistols under ISSF rules are permitted those devices, whether they actually do any thing with such a low velocity and air movement is a matter for discussion though, but all the manufacturers fit them, so clearly some one thinks they do.

Robin
    Last edited by RobinC; 27-04-2016 at 10:06 AM.
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?