Thread: Reloading 380 Sub Sonic Ammo

Reloading 380 Sub Sonic Ammo

Hi.
    Has anyone made any 308 Sub Sonic ammo.
    It would be great to hear what you used and how they came out.

Regards

Yes I reload 308 caliber subsonic ammo quite often but only use cast bullets. Our usual charges are Bullseye and unique in the 6g-7g range and try to shoot for about a thousand feet per second. I'm not sure what powder do you guys have over there though, but anything in the faster speed shot gun powders works fine. I had better luck with bullets heavier for the caliber in the 165 to 200 grain range. My Ruger Gunsite Scout 308 shot nothing but these loads. That particular gun shot nothing but the Lee Harris 7.62 x39 bullet sized .309 at 1100 feet per second into about two minutes of angle with a DOT sight. That particular load consisted of 7 grains of Hodgdon titegroup.
    G A Damron V ,the vegatarian varmint destroyer.

Subsonic 308

6-7 gns of Red Dot or Green Dot work well. GM3 also works well. Do not go too low and be aware of getting a bullet stuck in the barrel if you go down to "mousefart loads".

amc577

Trail Boss is another powder I've used for this, IMR provide load data and some guidelines to follow when downloading ammo

Based on that data, a 200 grain lead bullet in front of the minimum 150 grain load (10 grains Trail Boss) looks like a good starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrympope View Post
    Yes I reload 308 caliber subsonic ammo quite often but only use cast bullets. Our usual charges are Bullseye and unique in the 6g-7g range and try to shoot for about a thousand feet per second. I'm not sure what powder do you guys have over there though, but anything in the faster speed shot gun powders works fine. I had better luck with bullets heavier for the caliber in the 165 to 200 grain range. My Ruger Gunsite Scout 308 shot nothing but these loads. That particular gun shot nothing but the Lee Harris 7.62 x39 bullet sized .309 at 1100 feet per second into about two minutes of angle with a DOT sight. That particular load consisted of 7 grains of Hodgdon titegroup.
    Good post.

tac

Verminator 66 is offline I Will Never Find Another Ewe
    Was thinking of doing the same in 223 or 204 but wasn't sure if it could be done

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    Based on that data, a 200 grain lead bullet in front of the minimum 150 grain load (10 grains Trail Boss) looks like a good starting point.
    Alliante 2400 works as well and also tinstar

Quote Originally Posted by Verminator 66 View Post
    Was thinking of doing the same in 223 or 204 but wasn't sure if it could be done
    About 15-20 years ago I picked up 2000 blemishes 22 magnum bullets very cheap from Speer as i live a couple hours away ftom the factory.. I shot them in my 222 with6 or 8g of Unique(can't guarantee load but it was something close). While not as accurate as my good loads they were about 22 magnum power and cheaper than 22 mag factory loads at the time.
    G A Damron V ,the vegatarian varmint destroyer.