Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nitro muzzle loader

Nitro muzzle loader

I am interested in getting one of these. Anyone got one or know of one for sale preferably privately? How would I need to word my variation?

Quote Originally Posted by CLINT3 View Post
    I am interested in getting one of these. Anyone got one or know of one for sale preferably privately? How would I need to word my variation?
    A 'whatever the calibre it it is' muzzle loading revolver. The means of ignition is academic.

tac

I'm assuming you mean a pistol or revolver ?

If so I have 2, a Pietta Cattleman in.44 & a Westlake Armscor in .38 (Sorry but neither are for sale at the moment) both proofed for Nitro propellant.

Your variation request should be for a Muzzle Loading Revolver (or "Pistol" if going for a single shot, but that's another licencing can of worms) it matters not a jot to the variation what powder you will be feeding it.
    I am quite certain that the argument you've already won in your head was entirely more satisfying to you than the one that is actually occurring.
    Member of WR&PC,BASC & UBC

Quote Originally Posted by xx.Morph.xx View Post
    I'm assuming you mean a pistol or revolver ?

If so I have 2, a Pietta Cattleman in.44 & a Westlake Armscor in .38 (Sorry but neither are for sale at the moment) both proofed for Nitro propellant.

Your variation request should be for a Muzzle Loading Revolver (or "Pistol" if going for a single shot, but that's another licencing can of worms) it matters not a jot to the variation what powder you will be feeding it.
    I already have a Rogers and Spencer. Unfortunately it is now virtually impossible to get spares for it. Also the mess involved in shooting it puts me off a bit. Why doesn't someone produce a mess free powder which doesn't turn your muzzle loader into a grenade?
    INRS surely.

Quote Originally Posted by CLINT3 View Post
    I already have a Rogers and Spencer. Unfortunately it is now virtually impossible to get spares for it. Also the mess involved in shooting it puts me off a bit. Why doesn't someone produce a mess free powder which doesn't turn your muzzle loader into a grenade?
    INRS surely.
    I use a powder in the USA called Alliant black mz.water clean up and as far as I have tested will not rust a bore.it ignites easily with regular strength caps also.much better than pyrodex or triple seven. I had a Rogers Spencer and I used it and that gun with quite good luck. But like you I broke a part and Spares are virtually impossible. I had a machinist make the part and then sold the gun.
    G A Damron V ,the vegatarian varmint destroyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrympope View Post
    I use a powder in the USA called Alliant black mz.water clean up and as far as I have tested will not rust a bore.it ignites easily with regular strength caps also.much better than pyrodex or triple seven. I had a Rogers Spencer and I used it and that gun with quite good luck. But like you I broke a part and Spares are virtually impossible. I had a machinist make the part and then sold the gun.
    Sir - please read your PMs.

tac

Have a look at this
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php?topic=2603.0
    .32 nitro muzzle loader
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by airgunnut View Post
    Have a look at this http://planetairgun.com/index.php?topic=2603.0 .32 nitro muzzle loader
    Isn't that the ill-fated BritArms pistol from a few years back? Over a thousand or so, IIRC.

tac

Have a look at the Anvil. Uberti made Remington NMA with a new cylinder proofed for nitro powder. I have a 51/2" barrelled
    one and its brilliant. Easy to load with no fillers or lubes. Powder dispenser dumps the correct amount of powder directly into
    each cylinder, .457 ball lubed with Alox on top and a shotgun primer in the back. No messy cleaning ritual or pre loading phials.
    Just load and shoot. Iv only stripped mine twice in over a year of shooting it and had no problems at all with it. The only
    issue if i was being picky is the skinny front sight but thats a NMA thing not an Anvil thing. Check the website out they come
    in various barrel lengths to suit your own taste, brilliant. Tim

Oops, just had a look at the Anvil web site and production is coming to an end so if you want one grab one before they are gone.
    Shame as they really are a nice bit of kit.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Isn't that the ill-fated BritArms pistol from a few years back? Over a thousand or so, IIRC.

tac
    All i know is it's a zylab patriot pistol in .32, I was told they stopped making this as they were going to concentrate on a bigger caliber, which was never made
    It's fun to shoot though
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post

tac
    No, not the same animal at all Tac, they just look similar because they are designed for the same job. The Britarms was an excellent .22 semi-auto target pistol taking a 5 shot magazine, designed for shooting the UIT .22 precision events at International level. This British made pistol was effectively competing alongside FAS 602's, Walther GSP's, Hammerli etc. right up to the handgun ban.

The UIT centrefire precision matches, required a calibre of .32 or more. When I started competing I used a S&W K38, Mod 14. Although it was the single action only target version with handmade fitted grips, I soon realized it couldn't keep up with the specially designed .32 pistols. I then switched to a Pardini .32 which again looks similar to most of the other out and out target pistols - The pistol had to fit in the prescribed box, all had 5 shot magazines that would only accept full wadcutter ammo, very low sightlines etc.

When our pistols were confiscated, our competition shooting came to a dead stop. We were allowed muzzle loaders so the .32 Patriot pistol was designed to allow us to still compete in UIT competitions by conforming to the rules. It's a 5 shot UIT pistol in .32 calibre but is a muzzle loader.

The 5 shot magazine is pre-loaded and fits across the action. It's advanced for each shot by manually racking back the action. The UIT course for the duelling phase has the targets face away for 7 seconds and face for 3 seconds, plenty of time to rack the action and be ready for the next face.

You can run nitro in traditional black powder gun that have cases. I have have been shooting antique winchester rifles for a number of years. These are all black powder shooter, but I now I use nitro - some of my guns I use half loads.
    Last edited by Preacher; 05-08-2016 at 07:19 PM.

If the gun is NOT proofed for nitro then don't use it! it could be the last thing you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    You can run nitro in traditional black powder gun that have cases. I have have been shooting antique winchester rifles for a number of years. These are all black powder shooter, but I now you nitro - some of my guns I use half loads.
    If the gun - whatever it is - is NOT proofed for ANY kind of nitro load, then it is only a matter of time before you aim up with a kit of parts that may or may not have crippled you as it disassembles.

I'm advised that Trailboss might be a reliable substitute for a BP load - is THAT what you are using?

tac

Got one now

I've now bought a Westlake Alfa .357 and it's 'kin lovely. It is a s/h gun but not a mark on it and came with a load of kit including holster, bullets, primers, Herco etc. and I traded my R&S.
    It's much admired by all and shoots like a 'proper' revolver from the pre-nanny days. With the 2 extra cylinders I can shoot 18 rounds in quick time, accurate too.
    Really pleased with it.