Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The "Rare" Airsporter ?

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring

The "Rare" Airsporter ?

Why is it that you don't see (to my mind anyway) the Mk. 7 Airsporter ?
    Is it that not many were made or BSA concentrated on the later RB2 in preference ?
    “An airgun or two”………

I guess that makes my Mk7 .177 'S' a rare gun? It's the second one I've owned.

Thumbs up

And my carbine in .177
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

Thought the only rare airsporter was the mk1 club and a drum fed repeater that I saw 25 years ago plus.

Obviously not that rare then !
    “An airgun or two”………

People here may have seen or owned a few, but we tend to gravitate to rarer stuff. So we arent representative.

I do wonder how many they sold, given the Mk7 was up against really strong competition from HW80, HW77, FWB Sport, Webley Omega etc etc in the mid-eighties.

I certainly never thought of buying an Airsporter back then, whereas only a few years earlier it had been a well-regarded and popular premium sporting air rifle.

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    I rather like the look of the Mk7s although I haven't any idea of how many numbers were made or sold.
    My walnut stocked (mk2) Carbine 'S' has the rounded forestock at the front and the concealed push button underlever release, I believe these to be rarer than the Centenary Airsporters of which 1000 were made. (I am also lucky to have a Centenary)
    I bought my Carbine 'S' brand new back in 1985/6 and have only seen two others for sale and another member on here has one of them.

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    I rather like the look of the Mk7s although I haven't any idea of how many numbers were made or sold.
    My walnut stocked (mk2) Carbine 'S' has the rounded forestock at the front and the concealed push button underlever release, I believe these to be rarer than the Centenary Airsporters of which 1000 were made. (I am also lucky to have a Centenary)
    I bought my Carbine 'S' brand new back in 1985/6 and have only seen two others for sale and another member on here has one of them.

ASM
    Its not a detailed observation but I've seen more Centenary's and "S" Mks for sale than
    Mk. 7's over recent years. Although they appear to have been manufactured from 1983 to 87 so there must be a good few about ?
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Its not a detailed observation but I've seen more Centenary's and "S" Mks for sale than
    Mk. 7's over recent years. Although they appear to have been manufactured from 1983 to 87 so there must be a good few about ?
    Yes I agree - lots of 'S' mark Airsporters but I mean the late Mk2 'Carbine' 'S', ie, Carbine barrelled 'S' with walnut Mk7 type rounded forend stock. I have only come across 3 of those, mine is one, another member on here has one and I saw a different one on 'freeads'. (unless it was the same one)

I believe all these came out at a time where there was stiff competition from rival manufacturers, also the 'S' types were not cheap to purchase, so it's bound to have had an impact on sales/production. Additionally, BSA were going through a very bad time from 2000 onwards.
    I am not an expert though so may be wrong, I would like to know how many of my 'Carbine' walnut stocked versions were made/sold, I suspect the numbers will be rarer than the 1000 of the centenary and a lot lower than the stained beech stocked Mk7.
    Mine also has the maxigrip scope rail and raised rear trigger housing, another feature I personally like but others don't.

Best of all the Airsporter Marks in my opinion must be the early and original Mk1s, I am blessed to have 3 of those, all in nice condition considering their age. (over 50 years old)

atb
    ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35

ASM
    That'll be me then

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/a...bine%20001.jpg

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/a...bine%20003.jpg

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/a...bine%20002.jpg

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/a...bine%20007.jpg

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/a...bine%20008.jpg

Didn't the later mk3 S have the deluxe beech stock like what's fitted to the Challenger? I had one once that I bought off of a mate but sold it on to fund another rifle, I didn't realise at the time it was a mk3 S.

Pete
    Last edited by look no hands; 30-04-2016 at 04:40 PM.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    That'll be me then

Didn't the later mk3 S have the deluxe beech stock like what's fitted to the Challenger? I had one once that I bought off of a mate but sold it on to fund another rifle, I didn't realise at the time it was a mk3 S.

Pete
    Yes Pete mate - it indeed was you!
    (as you know, we have chatted about it in PMs and on the forum)
    I have only ever seen one other - it was for sale for about £350 if my memory serves me. (could have been more)
    I am sure this rifle is rarer than possibly any other Airsporter type including the Centenary.
    Would anyone know for sure?

atb

ASM

Even though the production run went for four years for the Mk. 7, I guess we have no way of knowing just how many Mk. 7's were made during that period ?
    It may be that the actual run for the Mk. 7 wasn't consistent?
    “An airgun or two”………

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Yes Pete mate - it indeed was you!
    (as you know, we have chatted about it in PMs and on the forum)
    I have only ever seen one other - it was for sale for about £350 if my memory serves me. (could have been more)
    I am sure this rifle is rarer than possibly any other Airsporter type including the Centenary.
    Would anyone know for sure?

atb

ASM
    One of the members on my Facebook group said that it's in the low hundreds, John Knibbs may know but I'm not paying him £25 to find out.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Even though the production run went for four years for the Mk. 7, I guess we have no way of knowing just how many Mk. 7's were made during that period ?
    It may be that the actual run for the Mk. 7 wasn't consistent?
    Almost certainly correct, it was a tough time for BSA against strong competition - shame as it looks an okay rifle the Mk7, even better in the short barrelled form - John Baz on here owns one of those and it looks good!

ASM

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    One of the members on my Facebook group said that it's in the low hundreds, John Knibbs may know but I'm not paying him £25 to find out.

Pete
    Pete, I really would be surprised if the numbers passed or came close to the 100 mark frankly!

ASM