Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The "Rare" Airsporter ?

Not wishing to hijack the thread but as the subject is Rare Airsporters. Does anyone here know anything about the Rising breech model, sold in the David Swan collection. Serial No. RW 1056 (Roger Wackraw)?
    I did bid on it on the day but let it slip away because I didn't really like the system (same pop up breech as the Merlin), then regretted losing it from the moment the hammer went down. It has to be one of the rarest ones ever made.
    Mel.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by mel h View Post
    Not wishing to hijack the thread but as the subject is Rare Airsporters. Does anyone here know anything about the Rising breech model, sold in the David Swan collection. Serial No. RW 1056 (Roger Wackraw)?
    I did bid on it on the day but let it slip away because I didn't really like the system (same pop up breech as the Merlin), then regretted losing it from the moment the hammer went down. It has to be one of the rarest ones ever made.
    Mel.
    Not familar with that one, certainly sounds as though its a "rarity" !

I'll stick to chasing a Mk. 7 !
    “An airgun or two”………

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post

A prototype that never made production maybe??

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    A prototype that never made production maybe??

John
    Hi John, yes, it was described as a development rifle based on a MK II Airsporter, by the cataloguer who I would have thought was using the description ascribed to it by Mr Swan, who clearly knew enough about it to know the name of the assumed designer, Roger Wackraw. Is the name known among BSA collectors?
    Mel.

The "Rare" Airsporter ?

The carbine RB airsporter was a much better gun to actually shoot, the only airsporter I've shot that lived up to the "legenday" mk 1 reputation.Mine even had the original mini silencer on, but it went to a good home with matty.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    The carbine RB airsporter was a much better gun to actually shoot, the only airsporter I've shot that lived up to the "legenday" mk 1 reputation.Mine even had the original mini silencer on, but it went to a good home with matty.
    I think I'd agree with that, I have an RB2 .22 carbine which shoots very well with Eley Wasps ! (real ones)
    “An airgun or two”………

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    There was a Mk7 advertised in our local free ads about 5 miles away - I have to say I was tempted (£130 I believe) but I didn't go for it! It looked like a nice one too!
    Trouble is, I always think I could have another Mk1, not that I need any more!
    ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

The "Rare" Airsporter ?

I think I'd agree with that, I have an RB2 .22 carbine which shoots very well with Eley Wasps ! (real ones)
    They really like the largest head size ftt's too(for when you run out of hens teeth!)

Quote Originally Posted by mel h View Post
    Hi John, yes, it was described as a development rifle based on a MK II Airsporter, by the cataloguer who I would have thought was using the description ascribed to it by Mr Swan, who clearly knew enough about it to know the name of the assumed designer, Roger Wackraw. Is the name known among BSA collectors?
    Mel.
    Mr Wackrow is indeed well known to post war BSA collectors. He was a prominent BSA designer with many company patents to his name, not just on Airsporters but rifles like the Meteor too. He was also involved with firearms design.

It would benefit Besaphiles if the purchaser of the prototype rifle reads this and shares details through a medium such as the Vintage BSA Forum -discretion is assured and anonimity respected if requested.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Mr Wackrow is indeed well known to post war BSA collectors. He was a prominent BSA designer with many company patents to his name, not just on Airsporters but rifles like the Meteor too. He was also involved with firearms design.

It would benefit Besaphiles if the purchaser of the prototype rifle reads this and shares details through a medium such as the Vintage BSA Forum -discretion is assured and anonimity respected if requested.

John
    Thank you John, I was sure someone would know of Mr Wackrow and am pleased to learn something about him, I did google his name at the time of the auction but found nothing other than references to the description in the auction catalogue. I did have a good look at the rifle on the viewing day and it certainly gave the appearance of being professionally manufactured.
    Just another one of those things that slipped away from me, not the first, not the last.
    I did buy the only other Airsporter in the sale, a near perfect MK1. so it's not all bad.
    Mel.

quite a nice mk7 airsporter here:

http://www.gunstar.co.uk/bsa-airspor...ir-Guns/828748

nothing to do with me by the way but this thread popped into my mind when I saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    quite a nice mk7 airsporter here:

http://www.gunstar.co.uk/bsa-airspor...ir-Guns/828748

nothing to do with me by the way but this thread popped into my mind when I saw it.
    Shouldn't hang around for long at that price, wish I was a little closer, sometimes living up in Gods own country can have a downside.
    Mel.

-Rare-quot-Airsporter

hi all am i right in thinking they only made the mk7 in 1.77 as well, i have been trying to find a mk3 for sometime now and no luck they must also be quite rare

Quote Originally Posted by robbo1974 View Post
    hi all am i right in thinking they only made the mk7 in 1.77 as well, i have been trying to find a mk3 for sometime now and no luck they must also be quite rare
    They definitely made the Mk7 in .22".

IIRC, and others know more, the MK3 was hardly produced, and a brief transitional model.

-Rare-quot-Airsporter

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    They definitely made the Mk7 in .22".

IIRC, and others know more, the MK3 was hardly produced, and a brief transitional model.
    hi geezer that's not good now i need to find a mk7 as well