Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crosman mod 600 going full auto???

Crosman mod 600 going full auto???

hi all,
    have a near mint boxed crosman mod 600 that when I bought it off here had been resealed, never really shot it as I have another that is not in as good condition that I use occasionally at the range, got out the mint boxed one today and it is going fully auto??? any idea's?

thanks

guy

If it has been dismantled at some point, it sounds like it has not been reassembled properly and i would suggest taking it to a gunsmith to be looked at. it is possible that something may have been done to the trigger or the sear and the sear is not longer able to catch the trigger and so would keep firing until the gun is empty even though you have taken your finger off of the trigger. i would recommend taking this to a gunsmith.

Mint means it looks nice.
    If you want to make it shoot properly send it to Lawrie Amatruda on here.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    hi all,
    have a near mint boxed crosman mod 600 that when I bought it off here had been resealed, never really shot it as I have another that is not in as good condition that I use occasionally at the range, got out the mint boxed one today and it is going fully auto??? any idea's?

thanks

guy
    Good fun isn't it, - spray n' pray.

As said above, get in touch with Lawrie.

Often old 600's have dried-up original factory lube in the trigger system, preventing the several levers from moving freely (the stuff is like glue), leading to the full-auto phenomenon. If the reseal job didn't include removing trigger parts & cleaning off the old goo, that could be your problem. Easy enough to remove the grips, take off the trigger cover plate, and check out the innards. Do be vigilant for the hairpin trigger spring that is capable of flying into the next dimension if it gets loose...keep one hand over the area while lifting off the cover plate. For a parts diagram, go to:

https://support.crosman.com/hc/en-us...EVP-1960-1970-

Note that if the "stop" #90 is missing, you'll need to find one - this is the disconnector that prevents full-auto.

Good luck!

Pretty common problem. A good servicing will fix it.

There is a flat t shaped piece of metal that is fitted in some 600 trigger units, not all pistols. On just another airgun blog they call it a "stop". If this is left out when re-assembling it can go full auto. Will post pics later. My 600's do not have these fitted.

Baz

Last edited by Benelli B76; 29-04-2016 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Add pics
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

If planning to work on the 600, you might want to take a peek at my book on the subject. Includes all of the factory service manuals.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crosman-Arm...s=crosman+arms

Crosman 600

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    If planning to work on the 600, you might want to take a peek at my book on the subject. Includes all of the factory service manuals.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crosman-Arm...s=crosman+arms
    I'd say it was worth it for the cover alone. Fantastic bit of 60's advertising!

I have the Factory Service Manual and on page 9 it says the older models did not have part 90 the stop and the stop roller. I believe if you omit these parts on the later model you get the full auto problem.

Baz

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    I'd say it was worth it for the cover alone. Fantastic bit of 60's advertising!
    Great book.
    I have one off Amazon.
    Always find something new in it.
    Never ending read.

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    I have the Factory Service Manual and on page 9 it says the older models did not have part 90 the stop and the stop roller. I believe if you omit these parts on the later model you get the full auto problem.

Baz
    My experience has been that it can also go full auto due to worn parts. Also, not easy to do the change over from a model w/o part 90 stop to one with it, since it takes a new side plate for clearance. Most guns, but certainly not all, back in the day, got this upgrade since it was a factory ordered replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    My experience has been that it can also go full auto due to worn parts. Also, not easy to do the change over from a model w/o part 90 stop to one with it, since it takes a new side plate for clearance. Most guns, but certainly not all, back in the day, got this upgrade since it was a factory ordered replacement.
    You are getting confused with my reply. Read the guys original post, I am not suggesting a change over of trigger setup. The guy said he bought the pistol and never used it. When he did it went full auto. I was thinking it had been re-sealed and the part left out. This has happened to people over here before because they are used to seeing the old trigger configuration more often without a stop plate.

Baz

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Mint means it looks nice.
    If you want to make it shoot properly send it to Lawrie Amatruda on here.
    yup, send it to Lawrie... great bloke, especailly with 600s
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    yup, send it to Lawrie... great bloke, especailly with 600s
    Mirrors my thoughts on the 600, it's best to leave repairs to an experienced hand. But still buy my book ;-)