Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Air Gunner,June issue

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Rubberised paint on a gun stock

Hope it's longer lived than the crap that car makers use and you see on some electronic goods where it disintegrates into a patchy sticky mess after about 5-10 years...

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post

Also I did not claim it was a copy of a Hatsan, I said it appeared to be inspired by the AT44, and I still think it does.

When there are none in the shops how the hell do you expect us to try them For £50 I will have the extra shots in the magazine and the time proven metal mechanism rather than a plastic action. It is also not just me who thinks that stock quality on the HW100 has fallen as this thread is proving.
    You most certainly DID claim it was a Hatsan copy, Moley. I go on YouTube as well as here, you know.

I thought you may have tried it at the British Shooting Show, like so many did, and consequently placed orders for them.

I'll let you know if I'm successful in stopping Weihrauch sending those ill-advised HW110 shipments, but I'm making no promises.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Rubberised paint on a gun stock

Hope it's longer lived than the crap that car makers use and you see on some electronic goods where it disintegrates into a patchy sticky mess after about 5-10 years...
    Several thousand shots and many hours in the field later ... not a mark on it that these ol' eyes can see. I've also had a soft-touch prototype stock on another rifle and that's two years old and all but unmarked.

I'm sure this doesn't compare with Moley's in-depth experience, but I'm confident in the ability of that coating to do a job in the hunting field.

It really could do with being slightly lower than that!Makes it about BSA Scorpion level...
    But at £595 he had in early April when I saw him, about eight confirmed orders and he was hoping to get 20 or so rifles from HC, which he reckoned would fly out the door!

Despite your reservations on the HW110, I agree with TD that HW are on to a winner, however this should not be at the expense in recent years of lowering of quality across their product range especially the HW100. if anyone wishes to disagree with this statement feel free to come and compare any of my 1980's HW35's or better still my HW55MM with any recent production HW.

Also if the HW110 is a lower cost option and more of a hunting rifle why not use a synthetic stock rather than rubberised wood one?

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    Several thousand shots and many hours in the field later ... not a mark on it that these ol' eyes can see. I've also had a soft-touch prototype stock on another rifle and that's two years old and all but unmarked.

I'm sure this doesn't compare with Moley's in-depth experience, but I'm confident in the ability of that coating to do a job in the hunting field.
    My experience is I still prefer the feel of wood! Personal preference, if I have a wooden stocked rifle I like to see the wood, if I have a synthetic stocked rifle I expect it to be plastic, I do not want a wood stock covered in plastic/rubber, tried that with a Super10!

A plastic coated Super10 made by BSA!
    Last edited by secretagentmole; 30-04-2016 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    Also if the HW110 is a lower cost option and more of a hunting rifle why not use a synthetic stock rather than rubberised wood one?
    Cost, mate. There may well be a synthetic option in the future, but it would be significantly more expensive.

secretagentmole Guest
    Cost, mate. There may well be a synthetic option in the future, but it would be significantly more expensive.
    How come? Once you have the mould made it will surely be far cheaper to churn the stocks out as the mould will be made. Wooden stocks need continual machining on expensive machines using parts that wear out, as opposed to a mould which keeps popping them out! Wood is also more expensive that plastic surely?

My experience is I still prefer the feel of wood! Personal preference, if I have a wooden stocked rifle I like to see the wood, if I have a synthetic stocked rifle I expect it to be plastic, I do not want a wood stock covered in plastic/rubber, tried that with a Super10!
    Well, that's your preference but it's obvious that many don't share it, Moley. I'm one of them. I appreciate beautifully figured walnut, but for something purely practical, I'll go with what ever does the job best, and that soft touch coating is definitely better, especially in the cold and wet. It cleans more easily, too, has no shine and always feels warmer than wood.

Solid wood isn't 'technically' the ideal handle for a hunting rifle, and that's why laminate, synthetics and soft touch models are so popular. Let's just be happy we have the choice, eh?

Better still, let's just be happy.

Sorry now I am just plain confused, how can the synthetic option be more expensive than wood?

How come? Once you have the mould made it will surely be far cheaper to churn the stocks out as the mould will be made. Wooden stocks need continual machining on expensive machines using parts that wear out, as opposed to a mould which keeps popping them out! Wood is also more expensive that plastic surely?
    Moley - a high grade synthetic stock costs more to produce than a soft touch one. I've seen the numbers from several sources. Besides, if what you say is true, then surely Weihrauch would have done it that way, seeing as they wanted to make the HW110 as accessible to as many shooters as possible.

Basically, Moley, you're wrong ... again.

Right, I'm off out rat-lamping very soon, and I'm taking the HW110. I'll try not to enjoy shooting it too much, but again, no promises, OK?

You have a good evening, Moley, and do try to calm down. This sport of ours is supposed to be enjoyable you know.

secretagentmole Guest
    Moley - a high grade synthetic stock costs more to produce than a soft touch one. I've seen the numbers from several sources. Besides, if what you say is true, then surely Weihrauch would have done it that way, seeing as they wanted to make the HW110 as accessible to as many shooters as possible.

Basically, Moley, you're wrong ... again.

Right, I'm off out rat-lamping very soon, and I'm taking the HW110. I'll try not to enjoy shooting it too much, but again, no promises, OK?

You have a good evening, Moley, and do try to calm down. This sport of ours is supposed to be enjoyable you know.
    I was asking the question as to someone who does not know the costs involved in making a stock you would think that moulding material in a mould which enables many more stocks to be produced in the same time span would be cheaper and that plastic would be cheaper than stuff that takes decades to grow! That does surprise me as usually synthetic stocks are cheaper than wooden ones!

Oh and this sport is not enjoyable, especially when your missus pinches your latest rifle proclaiming it to be her sovereign property. Had me 900 annexed!

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    Sorry now I am just plain confused, how can the synthetic option be more expensive than wood?
    It's more expensive than the wood used in soft touch stocks. 'Wood' can cost silly money, or it can be extremely reasonable, according to its type and grade. As I've said, I've had the production expense explained to me by at least six different companies, and all can get certain timber-based stocks cheaper than high grade synthetic ones.

If this were not the case, why wouldn't HW go with synthetic stocks?

Chris unless we report quality failings things will get worse and in the case of Weihrauch they have not got much further to go down, when you think of the quality problems with the springs and internals on 95s, the 99s that eat themselves even post fixing with a Delrin insert, now woodwork by James Howlett on the flagship model. Unless we report things and try to get them fixed at source they only get worse! Look at Daystate, things have got so bad there Gary from MTC has been called in to help them sort it out! If my moaning stops someone else feeling ripped off after forking out for a top of the range air rifle with a seconds quality stock on it then damned good!

Prices I have seen for the 110 puts it around the £650 mark...

http://www.solware.co.uk/weihrauch-hw110

http://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/air...hw110-22/16023

http://www.airrifleshop.co.uk/Guns/W...hrauchMain.htm

Seeing as I can get an HW100 for £690 who the hell is going to fork out so much for a lower level gun with rubber painted stock?
    Where can i buy a H100 for £690 ? i cant find anyone that cheap

I was asking the question as to someone who does not know the costs involved in making a stock you would think that moulding material in a mould which enables many more stocks to be produced in the same time span would be cheaper and that plastic would be cheaper than stuff that takes decades to grow! That does surprise me as usually synthetic stocks are cheaper than wooden ones!
    I was surprised too, until I had it explained to me, and like most things, there's an awful lot more to it than first appears.
    Again, if synthetic stocks were cheaper to make, that's what HW would fit, wouldn't they?

Chris, there, proving once and for all what a loss he was to the Diplomatic Corps.
    Christ ,that made me laugh,(thats not saying agentmole is wrong though) .
    1 Rapid+sentinal n/v, 1 HW100+ Mamba lite