Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Air Gunner,June issue

I must admit I am surprised about synthetic being more than a cheap wood, but if that's the case I can see why they went for the wood/rubber option

Me, I don't hunt so its walnut or a nice laminate every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    Chris, there, proving once and for all what a loss he was to the Diplomatic Corps.
    Well I went for the interview but........

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post

Also I did not claim it was a copy of a Hatsan, I said it appeared to be inspired by the AT44 ...
    Except you really did say it was a copy, and on this very BBS, Moley.

Your thread was entitled 'Copycat designs', and you signed off your opening post with 'Germany copying Turkey, whatever next?' My bold - your bad.

You also claimed that the HW110 had an identical scope rail to the Hatsan, which is untrue.

Hear that 'ker-lunk' noise? That's the case being closed, that is.

Goodnight, Moley.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro View Post
    Where can i buy a H100 for £690 ? i cant find anyone that cheap
    Lincolnshire! Partridge Guns and Country Store, price matched by Country Sporting Guns at Boston.

Lincolnshire! Partridge Guns and Country Store, price matched by Country Sporting Guns at Boston.
    Thanks for that mate

secretagentmole Guest
    Except you really did say it was a copy, and on this very BBS, Moley.

Your thread was entitled 'Copycat designs', and you signed off your opening post with 'Germany copying Turkey, whatever next?' My bold - your bad.

You also claimed that the HW110 had an identical scope rail to the Hatsan, which is untrue.

Hear that 'ker-lunk' noise? That's the case being closed, that is.

Goodnight, Moley.
    No, I admit you said the scope rail on the 110 is just Weaver, whereas the Hatsan more advanced design is both 11mm and Weaver. The case is closed though as I did think that the 110 was copying the AT44 particularly the scope rail, I remember that!

It does seem funny though that to make a cheaper gun Weuhrauch have gone to the expense of designing a new magazine rather than use their existing one.

No the scope rail on the 110 is just Weaver, whereas the Hatsan more advanced design is both 11mm and Weaver. The case is closed though as I did think that the 110 was copying the AT44 particularly the scope rail, I remember that!
    Blimey. Moley In 'It's A Fair Cop Guv, I Was Wrong!' scandal. Shock-Horror-Probe!

Right, now I'm definitely off to muller me a heap of rats. There's a rat-reckonin' to be doin', and I'm just the fellow to do it.

Night all.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Several thousand shots and many hours in the field later ... not a mark on it that these ol' eyes can see. I've also had a soft-touch prototype stock on another rifle and that's two years old and all but unmarked.

I'm sure this doesn't compare with Moley's in-depth experience, but I'm confident in the ability of that coating to do a job in the hunting field.
    All due respect - but "hours in the field" hardly represents years of ownership and how could it of course.
    However, just Google 'sticky rubber coating' and you won't even have to finish typing because auto suggest will offer to fill it in for you it's that popular as a search query.
    Rifles tend not to be disposable purchases and so longevity is an important factor to the prospective buyer - less so to the manufacturer looking to use cheap materials to boost profits.

Personally I wouldn't touch it myself with a bargepole and I would caution anyone else contemplating such a thing to at least be aware there is a strong possibility of deterioration from about five years onwards and replacement stocks ain't cheap.
    Give me high grade synthetic or wood any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    However, just Google 'sticky rubber coating' and you won't even have to finish typing because auto suggest will offer to fill it in for you it's that popular as a search query.
    I did just that and I was directed toward DIY products and a couple of pages about binoculars.

As I said, my own tests, and these involve extensive hard use and abuse, have shown these stocks to be able to do a good job on a hunting rifle. I'm sure the manufacturers of these stocks have carried out their own tests.

Buy what you prefer - as we all should. Personally, I wouldn't let some as yet unfounded fear about what may or may not happen to a stock coating over five years down the line stop me from enjoying a rifle as good as the HW110.

secretagentmole Guest
    I did just that and I was directed toward DIY products and a couple of pages about binoculars.

As I said, my own tests, and these involve extensive hard use and abuse, have shown these stocks to be able to do a good job on a hunting rifle. I'm sure the manufacturers of these stocks have carried out their own tests.

Buy what you prefer - as we all should. Personally, I wouldn't let some as yet unfounded fear about what may or may not happen to a stock coating over five years down the line stop me from enjoying a rifle as good as the HW110.
    OK so if you need a new stock at the end of 5 years, allowing for a full price CS and a bit for inflation that is another £300 which is another £60 per year, remember it will be well out of warranty, perhaps this will help (also try googling Duratouch Stock Problems)....

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum...?f=13&t=142748

Seems interesting if the Soft Touch is Duratouch then there may be problems ahead, but we will see, also be interesting to see if anybody with a latex allergy has a reaction to the coating on the stock, something that does not tend to happen with walnut...
    Last edited by secretagentmole; 01-05-2016 at 09:54 AM.

NewPaul is offline Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How

Seems interesting if the Soft Touch is Duratouch then there may be problems ahead, but we will see, also be interesting to see if anybody with a latex allergy has a reaction to the coating on the stock, something that does not tend to happen with walnut...
    Unless you have a nut allergy
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

Quote Originally Posted by NewPaul View Post
    Bravo sir

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NewPaul View Post
    You'll be beggared with beech as well then!

My experience is I still prefer the feel of wood! Personal preference, if I have a wooden stocked rifle I like to see the wood, if I have a synthetic stocked rifle I expect it to be plastic, I do not want a wood stock covered in plastic/rubber, tried that with a Super10!

A plastic coated Super10 made by BSA!
    You could always have a nice walnut veneer applied over the rubber, sorted

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BALD ERIC View Post
    You could always have a nice walnut veneer applied over the rubber, sorted
    Until the rubber paint starts peeling off of the stock, try googling about Duratouch stocks and see the problems people have had with their Brownings. Similar stuff has been used on computers, peripherals, scopes et al, most have reported problems with it gong hyper sticky and/or peeling off, not quite what you would expect from a gun that at present seems to be retailing for £650.