Thread: bsa standard and variants triggers?

bsa standard and variants triggers?

i like these rifles and putting a few pellets through several old guns this afternoon came to the conclusion that my No.2 standard topped the lot.what is it about the trigger on these rifles that makes them so user friendly?.i must admit that i have only shot with the one that i own so can't speak for other similar models.this one has the most predictable trigger,a kind of rolling feeling to it enabling the user to hold the rifle perfectly still in use.is the trigger design on these special or have i just got lucky?.i have never had the trigger to bits on this for a close look,i suspect it is quite basic but very functional.with the right pellets it's super smooth and quiet not to mention powerful and accurate. atb.

Quote Originally Posted by isobar View Post
    i like these rifles and putting a few pellets through several old guns this afternoon came to the conclusion that my No.2 standard topped the lot.what is it about the trigger on these rifles that makes them so user friendly?.i must admit that i have only shot with the one that i own so can't speak for other similar models.this one has the most predictable trigger,a kind of rolling feeling to it enabling the user to hold the rifle perfectly still in use.is the trigger design on these special or have i just got lucky?.i have never had the trigger to bits on this for a close look,i suspect it is quite basic but very functional.with the right pellets it's super smooth and quiet not to mention powerful and accurate. atb.
    Do you have a Standard with a three hole trigger block, or a two hole trigger block? The earlier guns with the two hole trigger blocks , had the trigger pull weights set at the factory, however the three hole triggers, could be adjusted by the shooter.
    A combination of top drawer materials and around 90 odd years to bed in, means that they are often very smooth. Just dont adjust them too light, otherwise they sometimes wont hold and the rifle can become dangerous.

Lakey

2 hole trigger

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Do you have a Standard with a three hole trigger block, or a two hole trigger block? The earlier guns with the two hole trigger blocks , had the trigger pull weights set at the factory, however the three hole triggers, could be adjusted by the shooter.
    A combination of top drawer materials and around 90 odd years to bed in, means that they are often very smooth. Just dont adjust them too light, otherwise they sometimes wont hold and the rifle can become dangerous.

Lakey
    it's an older 2 hole trigger with a fairly firm hold,just smooth to use .i've had this rifle a while but only use it very occasionally,it has 2 short main springs and a very old but serviceable piston washer.never tested the power level but feels around 10flb.

Quote Originally Posted by isobar View Post
    it's an older 2 hole trigger with a fairly firm hold,just smooth to use .i've had this rifle a while but only use it very occasionally,it has 2 short main springs and a very old but serviceable piston washer.never tested the power level but feels around 10flb.
    Around 10.5 ft lbs is a nice power level for these old guns. Of course you can get them over 11, with a lot of fettling, but I have always thought that 10.5, seems to give the best accuracy and doesnt test the components too much.

When Lincoln Jeffries first invented this style of gun, trigger adjustment was a threaded bolt, which passed through the front of the trigger guard and acted directly on the trigger its self. This style lasted until the first world war.
    By the time, the war finished in 1918, BSA had designed the 'Standard' model, and initial guns had a none adjustable trigger, where the exact weight of trigger pull was adjusted at the factory to around 3-3.5lb or so. This proved to be OK, but didn't cater for the fine trigger weight demanded by target shooters, so around 1921 , BSA introduced their adjustable trigger, this time with a three hole trigger block, with the adjustment screws inside the trigger block.
    This new style lasted until around 1933, then BSA re-introduced the bolt through the front of the trigger guard ( probably as a cost cutting measure) until production ended in 1939.

Lakey

As Lakey says, the 2 hole trigger blocks had their weight measured at the factory and stocks stamped accordingly - what attention to detail! I agree with Lakey's view about not setting the adjustable triggers too light and would add that some of the 2 hole triggers I have tried have been among the crispiest pulls I have encountered on between the wars BSAs. In fact I have never encountered a poor one - at least I don't remember doing so.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

cheers gents,your comments confirm what i am finding,always a pleasure to shoot,i will at some time test the pull weight just as a matter of interest.seems strange that such an ancient rifle holds it's own or out performs much more modern designs.well ahead of it's time!. atb