Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mildot v multi x

Mildot v multi x

Has title,which reticle do you prefer for general hunting with air rifle

What do you mean by "multi x" ?

most seem to be based on mil-dot spacing.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    What do you mean by "multi x" ?

most seem to be based on mil-dot spacing.
    30/30 reticle
    Last edited by knightrider; 29-04-2016 at 07:11 PM.

Aye. Multi-x is what Bushnell call the common or garden 30/30 or duplex...

30/30, or plain cross hair, or post and bar.

I learned with them back in the day when I shot a lot.

Mil-dots and ladders and all that stuff just confuse my simple brain. I am conditioned by experience to aim off, not use a different aim point on the reticle. You younger chaps are probably fine with them, and I see why dots and the rest of it are actually better, but I simply don't get on with them. I can just about tolerate a second horizontal cross-hair (like the old Premier Reticles design), but no more.

Yes, I'm a dinosaur.

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I went through the phase of big lenses, high mags, adjustable everything with some godawfully complicated reticles, but frankly I found myself twiddling about and doing maths instead of shooting rabbits!

With my "hunting" guns I've gone back to basics with smaller, but better quality scopes, lower mag, fixed px and 30/30 or basic multi type rets. The guns zero'd at 30 yards, Mnsr Le Rabbit is at about 40 yards, aim to the top of the skull: dead rabbit!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Must say, I have come to the same conclusion as Msr Teenbum.

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I went through the phase of big lenses, high mags, adjustable everything with some godawfully complicated reticles, but frankly I found myself twiddling about and doing maths instead of shooting rabbits!

With my "hunting" guns I've gone back to basics with smaller, but better quality scopes, lower mag, fixed px and 30/30 or basic multi type rets. The guns zero'd at 30 yards, Mnsr Le Rabbit is at about 40 yards, aim to the top of the skull: dead rabbit!
    Exactly this as regards the reticle's and smaller scopes. Sometimes it takes you too long to realize things that make sense, that's the unfortunate thing. Interesting thread I started a while back.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....0%2F30+reticle

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post

I haven't hunted for years, but when I did a nice, simple 4x32 (30/30 ret) with no frills served me very well. I like simple and uncluttered, me!

Many of my guns still just wear a 4x32.

However, for long range playing, like at the 75 yards Quigley Bucket, I feel the mildot type will come into its own.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

30/30 for me, simple and uncluttered. Been using Simmons Aetec's for over 10 yrs now.

I like the Nikon EFR dot, Hawke dot ret designed for 30/30 CF, or simple cross, must have fine central hairs for shot placement
    Leup, Bushnell Nikon seem to do best 'duplex' crosshairs
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

I mostly use mil-dot or mil-dot based, like the AMX & SCB ret's but don't bother knowing all the holdovers,

I do find them very handy for close range ratting where the POI is low, so min mag 1 dot & 2 dot's come in to use for 15 & 10yds, but generally I still aim off in the field.

Mind you I do like the simple L4 dot ret.

Tried lots of diff rets. Went back to 30/30 and my groups improved.

You shoot them enough you just "know" how much hold over to give a target.

I really like my mildot scopes (1/2 mildot for .177 though) as they do improve my accuracy and confidence at short or long range.
    But for purity of airgun shooting, using a springer with a 30/30 low mag scope very accurately at all ranges, does demonstrate a higher expertise of the art.

It doesn't really matter. I used a 30/30 ret for a while and you just learn the degree you need to aim off for range and windage.
    I now use a ladder ret as it works with my brain. But I get that it isn't going to work for others.

Of the rets now....I would look at ladder then mildot (prefer with half Mil substensions) then floating illuminated dot then 30/30 ret.

It's down to what works for the way your brain works and the job at hand. .....try and see what works..

The only ret that I didn't like was the horus ret.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill