Thread: Hatsan AT44 Thumbhole .177 - Opinions please

Hatsan AT44 Thumbhole .177 - Opinions please

I thought I'd finished with air rifles but I now find myself needing one for a new permit I've just secured so I'm not sure what to go for although I've decided it has to be a .177 multishot PCP.

I don't want to spend too much and I've come across a Hatsan AT44 Thumbhole .177 that I can get brand new for what looks like a bargain £302 delivered so does anyone have any experience with this model and if so what are your findings? Or would I be better off buying a more recognised "brand" 2nd hand rifle?

It's only ever going to be used at this one permission for rabbit control at ranges up to 40 yards.

On the .177 calibre is it best to go for a lighter faster pellet (8.5g) or heavier slower pellet (10.5g)?

secretagentmole Guest
    Would you be better off buying a secondhand rifle?

Would you be better off buying something that somebody else could have messed with making it over power and you not knowing? Would you be better off without a good warranty from the wholesaler (Edgar Brothers like happy customers)? Would you be better off knowing that if you had a problem it would be down to you to sort it out?

Only you can answer that.

The AT44 is a 10 shot rifle that comes with 2 magazines, it cannot be double loaded unless you run out of air and have to refill it. It has a smooth lever action and the glorious Quattro trigger that benefits from having screw 3 virtually all the way out and screw two given half a turn anti clockwise.

It also has fibre optic sights on so you don't even need a scope to enjoy it! It comes with a half inch UNF threaded barrel, ready to take the silencer of your choice. However you will find a curious ringing noise when you fire it. This happens to some Air Arms as well, you need a bottle brush putting up the airtube (I forgot to say you do get a cylinder degassing tool and a spare set of seals as well). Once depinged the gun is fairly quiet, has a heavy hammer though.

Mine preferred heavy weights, such as Crosman Premier Ultra Magnums which are 10.5 grain, others report good results with JSB Heavies. Common thing is 4.52mm seems to be the preferred pellet size. A nice gun, well made, but rather heavy.

They're not bad rifles for the money although I don't know what the .177's are like as I had a .22, to be honest though I'd be looking for a secondhand 'S410' or something along those lines although you'll struggle to find one on that kind of budget I should have thought !...

I know you insist on it being a 'multi-shot, PCP' but I have to say that on your budget I'd be looking along the lines of a HW95k !...

They are fantastic guns for the money. I've had mine near enough 3 years and has been faultless considering it was bought as a plinker .

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    Would you be better off buying a secondhand rifle?

Would you be better off buying something that somebody else could have messed with making it over power and you not knowing? Would you be better off without a good warranty from the wholesaler (Edgar Brothers like happy customers)? Would you be better off knowing that if you had a problem it would be down to you to sort it out?

Only you can answer that.

The AT44 is a 10 shot rifle that comes with 2 magazines, it cannot be double loaded unless you run out of air and have to refill it. It has a smooth lever action and the glorious Quattro trigger that benefits from having screw 3 virtually all the way out and screw two given half a turn anti clockwise.

It also has fibre optic sights on so you don't even need a scope to enjoy it! It comes with a half inch UNF threaded barrel, ready to take the silencer of your choice. However you will find a curious ringing noise when you fire it. This happens to some Air Arms as well, you need a bottle brush putting up the airtube (I forgot to say you do get a cylinder degassing tool and a spare set of seals as well). Once depinged the gun is fairly quiet, has a heavy hammer though.

Mine preferred heavy weights, such as Crosman Premier Ultra Magnums which are 10.5 grain, others report good results with JSB Heavies. Common thing is 4.52mm seems to be the preferred pellet size. A nice gun, well made, but rather heavy.
    Excellent, thanks for your post.

Quote Originally Posted by TORNADOS7 View Post
    I know you insist on it being a 'multi-shot, PCP' but I have to say that on your budget I'd be looking along the lines of a HW95k !...
    Absolutely no chance

Quote Originally Posted by aeron View Post
    They are fantastic guns for the money. I've had mine near enough 3 years and has been faultless considering it was bought as a plinker .
    Diolch

On the question about best .177 pellet weight I personally think for rabbit control up to 40 yards a lightish pellet like accupels (7.9grains) is best. Very flat trajectory and very accurate ( at least they are through my Aa s410k). Had loads of rabbits and woodies with them. It's all about shot placement.

Quote Originally Posted by Thegogg View Post
    Diolch
    Croeso yr hen foi

Quote Originally Posted by aeron View Post
    Croeso yr hen foi
    Pwy ti'n galw hen