Thread: What do you think of the Crosman 2250XL?

What do you think of the Crosman 2250XL?

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and would appreciate some help from knowledgeable members.

I currently have an Air Arms Woodsman sidelever carbine which I've owned from new in 1985. It's fairly basic by modern standards, but it's a powerful and accurate gun which has served me well for 30 years. My problem is that I now have bursitis in both elbows and at over 8 pounds weight, it's becoming hard to hold aim comfortably.

My main use these days is dealing with rats and squirrels on my own property, usually from up to 50 feet. I've been looking at a Crosman 2250XL, which at around half the weight I can handle easily and seems to have enough power for my needs. I know about the limitations of CO2 in cold weather, which I think I can live with, but I'd be grateful for views and opinions from other owners before I take the plunge and retire my trusty Woodsman.

Hi,

Welcome to the forum, all of the 2250s are excellent for the money, the XL benefitting from the longer barrel and improved steel breach. The scope will be very basic but maybe suitable for your needs.

As with all 22XX based guns you get an excellent basic platform and there is loads of room for improvement and modification that you can take as far as you want. Out of the box a clean and polish of the hammer, collapse a coil on the trigger spring and polish the mating surfaces will make a big difference straight away. After that there are loads of very nice bits available from the likes of GMAC, but mods can get expensive over time (My 2250B only has a few original parts now!).

Also consider the Victory CR600W and PCP version the PR900W from SMK, both are nice and light like the 2250XL but offer a multishot version (You can add that the to 2250 if required), the PCP version is particularaly good value. Some are dismissive of SMK products and I'll admit i have no experience of these 2 guns other than looking at them briefly, but I do have a PP700W from the same line (Victory) and it is an exceptionally well made and well designed peice of kit.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

I have been using my basic 2250b for 5 or 6 years now.It is my favourite gun for close range work. Very accurate for up to 20yds,(never really tried beyond that). So handy, light and we'll made.(and good fun)

Great guns for the money, and very moddable as said earlier, lots of options out there, the gmac multi shot breech is great, but beware its easy to spend more than the gun will ever be worth, mine stands me at around £440, it is very nice though and i made the stock so that was free still be lucky to get my money back, but i wont be selling anyway.
    Its easy to tweek also mine is at 11.5fpe 15 shots to a capsule or i can turn the power down with the power adjuster and get more shots, accuracy is pretty good for a gun of this price.
    If you're looking for a very light gun that won't break the bank 2250 is a good choice, i have three.

I think a co2 for hunting in uk climate ie cold most of the time makes it too inconsistent for humane accuracy even at 20 yards, I'd go for either a bsa ultra Mmc or a lightweight break barrel.

Many thanks everyone for sharing your views. That's helped make my mind up to go ahead with the Crosman. I wasn't impressed with the fixed focus scope that comes with the gun so I'll replace it with the 4x32 I've used on the Woodsman.

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    I think a co2 for hunting in uk climate ie cold most of the time makes it too inconsistent for humane accuracy even at 20 yards, I'd go for either a bsa ultra Mmc or a lightweight break barrel.
    I understand your point Peddy, but these days I'm a strictly fair weather stalker. Since two of my rat runs are only 20 feet from my house and I have open fields on 3 sides, in the winter (which seems to go on forever this year!) I just pot the little beggars from a window around dusk.

Looking forward to getting only my third (and almost certainly last) new gun since my first 50 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Treworga View Post
    Many thanks everyone for sharing your views. That's helped make my mind up to go ahead with the Crosman. I wasn't impressed with the fixed focus scope that comes with the gun so I'll replace it with the 4x32 I've used on the Woodsman.

I understand your point Peddy, but these days I'm a strictly fair weather stalker. Since two of my rat runs are only 20 feet from my house and I have open fields on 3 sides, in the winter (which seems to go on forever this year!) I just pot the little beggars from a window around dusk.

Looking forward to getting only my third (and almost certainly last) new gun since my first 50 years ago.
    You will enjoy it, I wouldn't worry about the variance of CO2, it is not a massive difference if you have some experience and know what you and your gun is capable of.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Cracking little gun, I have one and at 20 yards its pretty accurate - 20p sized ragged single holes groups when rested.
    Standing is a bit different and while the light weight is very comfortable to hold, the lack of mass to damp any movement may work against it it a little.
    Like you I didn't rate the stock scope and put a little 1.5-5x20 Simmons on it which is good match for the gun.
    They have a bit of a 'bark' to them and sometimes I use a Venom slimtech silencer - I'm sure there are more effective ones out there but the slimtech is in keeping when I need to take the edge off.
    I have to say that of all my rifles this is the one that the other guys at the range have expressed the most interest in.
    I think you'll be pleased with it - I am...
    Last edited by harvey_s; 30-04-2016 at 07:59 PM.

clunge is offline Buys suspicious amounts of hand sanitiser
    Easy enough to thermoregulate a ratty with a USB power bank, a 4W USB gel heater pad (I put it under the 'stock'), and a thermostat - or even just a thermometer. Keeping it around ~15C in winter helps a lot.

Thanks for the tips. I'm sure I'll have to put in a fair amount of practice before I try a standing shot at a live target after being used to a fairly heavy springer for so long. I had heard they have a bit of a muzzle crack so I'll definitely look at a silencer when I've had a chance to work with it. A Swift Stumpy has been suggested by the gun shop.

There's a heavily modified 2240 third item down in the sales section with power adjuster and silencer.

Cheers, Phil
    THE BRAIN CANNOT ASSIMILATE WHAT THE POSTERIA CANNOT TOLERATE

Quote Originally Posted by Treworga View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I'm sure I'll have to put in a fair amount of practice before I try a standing shot at a live target after being used to a fairly heavy springer for so long. I had heard they have a bit of a muzzle crack so I'll definitely look at a silencer when I've had a chance to work with it. A Swift Stumpy has been suggested by the gun shop.
    The Swift Stubby works very well, I have one on mine. As quiet as a Wiehrauch on a 2250.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Gander View Post
    There's a heavily modified 2240 third item down in the sales section with power adjuster and silencer.

Cheers, Phil
    I appreciate the kind thought Phil. It could have been interesting if I hadn't picked it up a couple of hours too late . Never mind, having made my mind up I'll be getting an order in on Tuesday.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    The converted pistol idea is fine if you already own one, but you lose out on the fore-end and longer barrel which gives about another 3-3.5 ft/lbs.