Thread: First PCP for backyard shooting, talk me out of a AirForce SS

First PCP for backyard shooting, talk me out of a AirForce SS

Backyard shooter that has only used spring guns. Pretty much a novice, but below are what seems right about a AirForce silenced rifle.

1. Light weight quality made
    2. Variable power
    3. Can change barrels to different calibers
    4. Having no pump or scuba shops near, it's ability to take large canister CO2 makes sense for the backyard. Paintball is so popular over here I can get those filled cheaply.
    5. Little noise from silenced models

Open to any other suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Backyard shooter that has only used spring guns. Pretty much a novice, but below are what seems right about a AirForce silenced rifle.

1. Light weight quality made
    2. Variable power
    3. Can change barrels to different calibers
    4. Having no pump or scuba shops near, it's ability to take large canister CO2 makes sense for the backyard. Paintball is so popular over here I can get those filled cheaply.
    5. Little noise from silenced models

Open to any other suggestions
    Hi,

Just my tuppenth worth and based on my own experiences with someone who occasionally came shooting with me. Build quality on his one was pretty poor especially trigger and safety system .. oh and barrel mounting. Variable power it had especially between shots (typically up to 50fps different ) Lastly it runs on compressed air and not co2 (they are not the same thing!) so you will still need a supply. It was bloody uncomfortable for me to shoot as well and I considered accuracy of, at best, 3" at 25 yards pretty p*ss poor. After about 6 months of constant tinkering/fettling, including a calibre change, it was sold. There is much better kit to be had for a lot less than their ridiculous price. Stick to a decent springer or save up for a PCP and charger combo.

Mark

P.S the above is me being polite. I could be a lot more scathing

Have no problem with you telling it as you see it. Only thing is the do make an adapter that lets you run it on the large CO2 canisters.

If you're talking about the Talon SS, I'm a bit confused as their ads state they are only to be used with compressed air or dry nitrogen. I assume that a mod/adapter available to run it on CO2 must also mean changing the seals as I doubt a seal designed to work with air is going to be any good for CO2.

Talon SS? Son of the Gunpower Stealth? I know nothing of owning one, but there's empirical evidence on this BBS over the years, that supports the conclusion that they are shit.

And they do 'look' shit.

And no they don't run on Co2.

HTH

Well a quick Google show the manufacturers DO make a CO2 tank converter, and nothing is mentioned regarding changing seals.

However, I have had experience of a Gunpower Stealth (UK branding for Air Force) and whilst I wasn't over enamoured with it, it was best described as OK. As a back garden plinker it would probably be fine, but my recollection was that the trigger, for a PCP, was nothing to write home about.

You may have a different view, but definitely try before you buy. One plus is the tank is big. At around 620 USD, it is considerably cheaper than the equivalent UK price. (Assuming Wooster Ohio)
    Last edited by ashf9999; 05-05-2016 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Pricing

Having owned the UK (Gunpower) version of the AirForce they can be the most frustrating rifle ever, get it spot-on pin-point accurate take the bottle off to refill & when refitted the thing was "grouping" like a shotgun.

Honestly I'd look for any other rifle that can take the CO2 conversion you mention, although having said that, given how popular the Air force is in the US they must be better than the low power UK version

Oh & doing a barrel swap involves virtually disassembling the whole rifle so it's probably an hour+ job.

I have heard that if you spend enough money on aftermarket modifications they can be barely OK.

wow, if it was me Id definitely be talked out of it after that... methinks you like the look of the gun more than anything else... Ive bought stuff before because I really really wanted it.. and inside I really really wanted it to be good, then immediately realised I should have listened to everyone.
    My advice is to go to the range and try some guns...ask if anyone has an SS and see if theyll bring it in for you to have a go with, and ask their opinion of it as well.

Why not look at the hatsan at44-10 - I had one of these and it was whisper quiet - can be made to have variable power - barrel can be changed very easily - look pretty good and tactical, especially some of the camo'd ones Ive seen - can be converted to a bullpup - and best of all, can be had for not much money.
    Donald

This has been interesting, I do wonder if the English version has been so drummed down to meet power restriction that it has effected performance? There are reviews in the U S where it is putting shot after shot in the same hole? Here is the CO2 conversion.
    http://youtu.be/_J2eQSGsIXw

Here is a US review, I know that reviews are meant to sell guns but is totally the opposite of what is being said here. Both on use of CO2 and accuracy.
    http://youtu.be/9vlFAGk-LJM

Go and try one for yourself and see what you think.

They are universally thought of as pretty rubbish, but you might like it and thats whats important.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    Talon SS? Son of the Gunpower Stealth? I know nothing of owning one, but there's empirical evidence on this BBS over the years, that supports the conclusion that they are shit.

And they do 'look' shit.

And no they don't run on Co2.

HTH

I have to say that the Talon, Gunpower and Airforce Guns are, as previously mentioned, absolutely crap.

I can assure you, wherever you live in this old world of ours - they will be crap.

I wouldn't pay for one of these with shirt buttons.
    Dance like no one is watching.
    Sing like no one can hear.
    Scratch yourself like you think the zoom meeting has ended.