Thread: Vintage Barn Gun....

Vintage Barn Gun....

http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/ra...kl8yv.jpg.html

This pre-war German .22 Haenel II DRP has been part of my pal's vintage airgun collection for as long as I can remember. It's always been my favourite, as accurate as any modern break-barrel sporter and far nicer to shoot than any of his old BSA underlevers. I've even taken a couple of rabbits with it, but that was many years ago.

Sadly, the passing years have taken their toll on this old Frau - a tired mainspring and worn flat breech seal had reduced the power output to pistol levels and a broken spring in the trigger mechanism made it unsafe to use.

Last week - in an explosion of enthusiasm - my pal decided to restore some of her former glory. A new(ish) mainspring (with a couple of slip-washers), a rejuvenated leather breech seal and a new spring in the trigger assembly. Glory restored - she now shoots as well, or better, than she did 30-odd years ago.

Our selection of .22 pellets is rather limited at the moment, but I do have a healthy supply of JSB Express (for the SMK19GR). Over the Chrony F1, a 10-shot string gave an average of 537.6 fps/9.2 ft/lbs, with an extreme spread of 13 fps.

Accuracy was spot-on too, limited only by my ability to use open sights - which, although basic, gave one of the best sight pictures of any airgun irons that I've used. I had little trouble connecting with the 20 yard spinners and my pal - whose eyesight is better than mine - was doing a fair bit better. (Obviously, there's no option of fitting a scope).

The Haenel is an absolute joy to shoot, well balanced with minimal recoil, easy to cock, with a clean-breaking single-stage trigger that puts many modern economy rifle units to shame.

After a long session on the plinking range, I wanted to try for a rabbit. I wasn't going to attempt a shot at live quarry using opens much past 15 yards, but my favourite hunting hotspot on the farm is usually good for a rabbit at that range or closer, so I decided to plot-up there. Sure enough, there were plenty little ones as close as 10 yards, but the only decent size buck was roughly twice the distance that I was prepared to take a shot at. There's always another day though....

Lovely looking little thing, RW, and what a nice story.

Thanks for sharing with us and I'll look forward to your updates.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Thanks Tony. Here's another oldie that still gets a piece of the action from time to time - a pre-war .177 M&G 'Diana' 27...

http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/ra...fwjh4.jpg.html

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Nice Post !
    I've never owned any vintage air rifle like these, and just recently I'm beginning to think I should !
    I cant effectively use "the irons" for hunting today though (bad eyes) but one would still be nice to shoot on the indoor range!
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    I've never owned any vintage air rifle like these, and just recently I'm beginning to think I should !
    You'd be surprised just how many of these vintage guns are in circulation - and still quite capable of performing on par with comparable modern air rifles. They're so much fun to shoot too - especially when your 80+ year old rifle is connecting with targets that the guy next to you, with his fancy modern rig, can't hit....

Spent most of the afternoon shooting with the Haenel. Didn't have much of a selection, but tried some different pellets. 5.51mm AA Field matched the JSB Express for accuracy but produced a little more energy. Bisley Super Field beat them both - they often do well in old guns - but the biggest surprise came from the 18+ grain H&N Baracuda Hunter, easily the most accurate of the four at 20-25 yards. Unfortunately, the battery in the F1 died, so I didn't get any figures for the H&N or Bisley....