Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mastersport 124 valuation

Mastersport 124 valuation

Some assistance please chaps. I know these are like hens teeth but I have a few and need to be ruthless in order to clear some space. How much do you think I should ask?

Mastersport 124 .177

This was my first Mastersport, with which I won many trophies with it including the '83 Venom Trophy which got right up Ivan's nose. I have replaced all the seals and it is running along quite happily at 11ish with ftt.

The action was reblued probably 20 years ago and is still beautiful. The stock is one of the first 5 made and is in French walnut so it has that lovely deep warmth only found in French. A small shake appeared across the grip in 1984, so my father, John Welham, pinned it from the grip bottom and fitted a rose wood grip cap. I've had no issues since.

A very rare, very nice rifle in very nice condition.

Thanks,

Richard

http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/wh...astersport%201

That is just lovely!!!

Do you know who made the stock please?

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBuzz View Post
    I know these are like hens teeth but I have a few...
    That should be the subheading for the Collectors' board.

That's a beautiful rifle, exactly what a first class air rifle should look like, understated quality. I've no idea on value, but I am almost contemplating the sale of a kidney in anticipation.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by copperjacket View Post
    That is just lovely!!!

Do you know who made the stock please?
    The stock is an Airmasters which is the company run by the Welhams, probably made by Richards dad John, his uncle David was the other partner in the company
    Airmasters were the main competitor to Venom in the 80's and offered some amazing stocks

Mastersport

Value? Well I got £350 for my left hand version of these great classic's 4 years ago. With that history I would think this is worth £550 - £600 but it is like everything it's what people are prepared to pay!. Seeing as the new sport is £530 then this classic has to be worth more. Even the Venom boys agreed that Airmasters could work their magic on the sport better than they could!! Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Rikard View Post
    The stock is an Airmasters which is the company run by the Welhams, probably made by Richards dad John, his uncle David was the other partner in the company
    Airmasters were the main competitor to Venom in the 80's and offered some amazing stocks
    Thank you I think that identifies the maker of the stock on my HW80.

RustyBuzz - my apologies for confusing your thread.

Thanks everyone for the advice, very helpful as always, I need to ponder further.

Richard

Leaving aside the family history, I think you should bear in mind that unlike Venoms etc these just aren't available anymore. To sell something like this for the cost of a new rifle and a tuning kit just doesn't make sense to me. I would base my assessment of value on the cost of sending a new rifle to Vmach and having the works done including a stock and then work back from there.

Richard does it come with that Carl Zeiss scope you had bolted on it all those years ago? I remember the extra long eye relief on those scopes. Also was it not the rifle you used in that SAR article? If so this would add a bit more prominence I would of thought
    Last edited by derekj; 21-04-2016 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by copperjacket View Post
    Leaving aside the family history, I think you should bear in mind that unlike Venoms etc these just aren't available anymore. To sell something like this for the cost of a new rifle and a tuning kit just doesn't make sense to me. I would base my assessment of value on the cost of sending a new rifle to Vmach and having the works done including a stock and then work back from there.
    Yep, it's hard to put a value on. If it was perfect I think that you might be onto something but it is second hand, in good condition, but it is 30 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by derekj View Post
    Richard does it come with that Carl Zeiss scope you had bolted on it all those years ago? I remember the extra long eye relief on those scopes. Also was it not the rifle you used in that SAR article? If so this would add a bit more prominence I would of thought
    No Derek, no 3-9 on it, I don't have one to spare. It's not the one in Sporting Air Rifle either, I'm keeping that one and one in .22.

Regards

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBuzz View Post
    Yep, it's hard to put a value on. If it was perfect I think that you might be onto something but it is second hand, in good condition, but it is 30 years old.

No Derek, no 3-9 on it, I don't have one to spare. It's not the one in Sporting Air Rifle either, I'm keeping that one and one in .22.

Regards

Richard
    The FWB Master Sport and the old battle bus was so synonymous with the Welham family. Johns stocks was simply beautiful and so functional. I remember John Avon from Airgunner magazine fame being measured up for a '77 FTS stock; a very interesting article back then.

The FWB Master Sport and the old battle bus was so synonymous with the Welham family. Johns stocks was simply beautiful and so functional. I remember John Avon from Airgunner magazine fame being measured up for a '77 FTS stock; a very interesting article back then.
    I'm now the proud owner of the John Avon FTS, still all intact and in good condition action and stock

I'm now the proud owner of the John Avon FTS, still all intact and in good condition action and stock
    Excellent articles he used to write, very well balanced. I especially liked the head to head stuff he used to write. Does the FTS fit you? I remember John saying his hands were quite small in the article.

Excellent articles he used to write, very well balanced. I especially liked the head to head stuff he used to write. Does the FTS fit you? I remember John saying his hands were quite small in the article.
    Yes the early magazines seemed more informative, but I suppose it could be a case of rose tinted glasses.
    Unfortunately it is a compromise on size but when I saw it I couldn't really turn it down.

Yes the early magazines seemed more informative, but I suppose it could be a case of rose tinted glasses.
    Unfortunately it is a compromise on size but when I saw it I couldn't really turn it down.
    Absolutely agree. I'd of bought it simply because it would've haunted me if I didn't