Thread: Best Tuned Springers of all time!

Best Tuned Springers of all time!

I dare say I will shot down in flames with this thread but I decided to name my top five...oh dear here goes -
    1- Venom lazaglide 77 in .177 Cal
    2- Venom Maglaza HW80 in .22 Cal
    3- Venomac Hornet HW95 in .20 CAL
    4- Mastersport FWB 124
    5- Zephyr 77K in .177

Post this thread has i couldn't find anything on Google. These are my favourite rifles at the peck of the custom houses. Not everyone's taste but mine. Mach 1.5

Tough one.

I'd argue that the modern Tweakers, Hobbyists etc have exceeded the performance of the old classic Tuners. So to get the best tuned springer may no longer be a one-stop-shop (it never was, but the custom shops where a good starting point).

Best to me is a combination of inherent accuracy and the easy with which the shooter can repeatedly access that accuracy under differing conditions. When you get it right it's a synergy of the action's characteristics, a great barrel and matching pellet, gunfit and balance of the rifle (which inevitably must include the scope).

Hence the "best tuned springer" can't simply be bought, there's too much variation between shooters to make it possible.

Best tuned springers

18 Wheeler. ..great point. Just wanted to add my favorite rifles and at no 6...Venom 55 T...now that is accurate. Mach 1.5

Excellent points from 18Wheeler.

But what constitutes the best tuned springer? After all, we all have our own individual tastes and preferences. Obviously, we all value a nice, smooth cocking action and twang free firing cycle, but after that it all gets a little more subjective....some preferring "lazy" and smooth, others opting for a quicker, "snappier" cycle.

The favourites from the rifles that I own are my Lazaglided Predator 80 (currently with the master having a refresh - it was originally glided in 1990 - can't wait to see what she feels like with the latest upgrades) and my Mark 1 '77 in .22 with just a V-Mach kit fitted six years ago.

At the Bashes I have had the undoubted pleasure of trying some very finely tuned specials, far too numerous to mention, from the likes of T20, Jon Budd and NickG and others.

The acid test has to be accuracy and the ease with which the accuracy can be repeatedly accessed, so the internal tune, stock fit, balance etc will all come into play.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I endorse Mach 1.5's list.

Agree with Tony that accessible and repeatable accuracy has to be the acid test of a tune.

But I read the question more as "what are the custom specials you most want to own?". By "custom special", I mean something with its own name offered by a commercial outlet ("tuning house") as a production item - like the Venoms, Airmasters, etc. Not a one-off from a talented engineer.

So I could add to the list something like the Normay Vixen. I'm not sure the internal work made them any better than a standard gun, and they would not hold their own in competition with a Venom, or some of the current products of the "shed tuners" on here, but they are historically important. As is the Bowketted 12 ft/lbs Meteor, or the Airgunaid SP5.

I'd quite like the Webley-Venom Longbow Sidewinder to make the cut as an also-ran, both on performance, and for being one of the last of the 80s-style custom springers.

Does the Mach 1 qualify?

Okay, not "tuned", as in a standard factory gun that was later improved, but a beautiful, rare, exquisite, immaculately conceived and lovingly made exclusive wondergun.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

My old Airmasters 88 77k which was completely re-worked by the Maestro Ken Turner wasn't too shabby Tony Fitted into a Venom Trophy stock with extra weight added, it was virtually recoiless and grouped as well as many pcp's at 45 yards-in fact i scored 59 ex 60 with it at a fun Easter Sunday HFT we put out at Bisley and that was only because my bottle went for the last shot

My Zephyr 77, ok, it was a.22 was ridiculous-a gentle cough and no kick / recoil to talk of.

All sold now
    Never go off half cocked....

All lies matter

Wobblys...

Among the less exotic numbers (and therefore cheaper), I'd say an SFS tuned Longbow or Tomahawk has to rate highly.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxterbasics View Post
    My old Airmasters 88 77k which was completely re-worked by the Maestro Ken Turner wasn't too shabby Tony Fitted into a Venom Trophy stock with extra weight added, it was virtually recoiless and grouped as well as many pcp's at 45 yards-in fact i scored 59 ex 60 with it at a fun Easter Sunday HFT we put out at Bisley and that was only because my bottle went for the last shot

My Zephyr 77, ok, it was a.22 was ridiculous-a gentle cough and no kick / recoil to talk of.

All sold now
    Sounds like they were lovely!

And you sold them?