Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: LP5/50 now section 5.

I hope nobody tells the NSRA to seize my car.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    I hope nobody tells the NSRA to seize my car.

Is it a semi-automatic?
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Depends what you select

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    This is escalating.

A post on the Stirton forum from a well connected and trustworthy poster who deals with these matters for the British Pistol Club, and who advises the NSRA, is saying, that the NSRA have told him they have been told to sieze five shots taken into the LRC at Bisley for use or repair.

He advises:-

THAT UNTIL THIS MATTER HAS BEEN RESOLVED WITH THE HOME OFFICE DO NOT TAKE FIVE SHOTS TO THE LRC AT BISLEY.

I would further advise that it would be un wise to advertise one until this is resolved. Yes it is crazy, but stay calm, and keep quiet!
    According to a post on Umarex Boys Club The NSRA confirm that the above is NOT the case.
    As one would expect.
    Looks like North Yorkshire Police are still on their own so far.

here's a link to the NSRA statement on the matter : http://www.nsra.co.uk/index.php/news...e-shot-pistols

Vic Thompson.

A very wise statement from the NSRA. I hope the BSSC meetings in December bring this matter to a sensible conclusion: That in the light of decades of practice and the home office circular, semi-auto airguns will continue to be allowed to be possessed under the same conditions as other sub-12-fpe airguns.

My thoughts entirely.

We have consulted with ACPO and the CPS and LOW POWERED AIRGUNS ARE LOW POWERED AIRG

We have consulted with ACPO and the CPS .... Chief Officers are advised that self loading and pump action rifled airguns should be considered to be regarded as falling outside the certification process PROVIDED THEY ARE LOW POWERED...

I have a letter from the Home Office dated Nov 1998 together with the relevant circular (HOC68/97) which states that despite the wording of the law unintentionally banning some low powered air guns, they will continue to be regarded as...

LOW POWERED AIRGUNS FOR WHICH NO LICENCE IS REQUIRED.

unless they have changed something..

So how can they (Who? Yorkshire Police?) stop Steyr from importing them but still leave some in the hands of private individuals?

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by dave milne View Post
    We have consulted with ACPO and the CPS .... Chief Officers are advised that self loading and pump action rifled airguns should be considered to be regarded as falling outside the certification process PROVIDED THEY ARE LOW POWERED...

I have a letter from the Home Office dated Nov 1998 together with the relevant circular (HOC68/97) which states that despite the wording of the law unintentionally banning some low powered air guns, they will continue to be regarded as...

LOW POWERED AIRGUNS FOR WHICH NO LICENCE IS REQUIRED.

unless they have changed something..

So how can they (Who? Yorkshire Police?) stop Steyr from importing them but still leave some in the hands of private individuals?
    The letter you have, while providing some comfort, is unfortunately only an opinion and not binding on anyone. It is also entirely possible that since 1998 those opinions have changed. I think it will take a court case to resolve this.

I presume that NYP cannot simply seize these items and retain them in the long term, they can only seize them as evidence of a possible crime. Therefore they must either prosecute the alleged offence or return them to their rightful owners.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    The letter you have, while providing some comfort, is unfortunately only an opinion and not binding on anyone. It is also entirely possible that since 1998 those opinions have changed. I think it will take a court case to resolve this.

I presume that NYP cannot simply seize these items and retain them in the long term, they can only seize them as evidence of a possible crime. Therefore they must either prosecute the alleged offence or return them to their rightful owners.
    You would be wrong if you said the letter had no effect.

The way it would work is IF the CPS decide to prosecute, you immediately judicially review the decision as a breach of legitimate expectation based on the letter (and the CPS own guidance which is freely available online). Public bodies, and that included the CPS, can't simply say they will do A, and then without telling anyone go and do B. That's not me saying "I don't think they should be allowed to do that", that's me saying "there is a mass of case law saying they can't do that".

You DO NOT try to use the letter as a defence in a criminal trial. I don't think that would work although I'm not a great expert on criminal procedure. You have to attack the decision to prosecute.

I would expect the judicial review to be successful with the result that the decision to prosecute would be quashed.

Good news, they are both legal.
    BREAKING NEWS!!!!
    Today Monday 26th June 2017 we have officially been informed that the Steyr LP50 is indeed self indexing and not self loading as defined by section 57(2A) of the Firearms Act 1968. Therefore does not fall within any category of Section 5 or Section 1.

As the Steyr Hunting 5 Auto is the same mechanism and sub 12 foot pounds muzzle energy this also does not fall in the Section 5 category of self loading.

Sales, service and repair are now fully resumed
    She was only an Admiral's daughter but her naval base was full of discharged seamen.

They don't believe it on General Airgun Forum as the information comes from Steyr UK.

I am sure North Yorks Police will release a press statement soon.
    As if.

I posted it on there as well two minutes after this but it has disappeared. I assume this is because somebody else posted the same info at the same time. BAR say you can order from them now.
    She was only an Admiral's daughter but her naval base was full of discharged seamen.

Quote Originally Posted by Norfolkngood View Post
    I assume this is because somebody else posted the same info at the same time.
    Correct sir --- your thread was simply deleted as a simular thread was already up and running.

Okee dokee, I'll ask Diane Abbot what the law is on this one.