Thread: spring guns and washers question

spring guns and washers question

Hi guys

I have a question concerning the workings of a piston and spring a gun that I am fitting together. if I put a washer behind the piston and a another washer at the back of the block, in an attempt to take the stress out of the springs windup, is this the best way to do it our is it better just to use one washer and the other end just to sit against the metal.

I'm not trying to increase power, just one thin metal washers well greased at either end, I'm trying to stop the torque on the spring whilst cocking.

Any advise on this is welcome.

Atb
    Last edited by kash2001; 01-05-2016 at 08:48 PM.

What type of gun are we talking?

Current set-up in terms of spring etc? Standard or aftermarket? Current power if tested?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Hi thanks for the reply, it's a bsa mercury, ft\lb was just under 11. Had it reblued, and standard spring I think, polished piston, and new seals. Just wanting to make cocking as smooth as I can hence the question.

No weights, or anything special.

Atb

I an just wondering if having a washer at each end is countering its effect, rather than allowing the spring to twist naturally.

Thanks

If the spring is free either end the torque reaction is reduced. So polished spring ends slip washer and lube.
    Free to rotate both ends will do no harm.

I would put one at both ends. Allow the spring to twist freely in whatever way it needs to during the cocking stroke and firing cycle.
    Keen but clueless..

Ok guys thanks for the input, I'll try to finish it off tomorrow and give it a bash, I'll try thin ish washers and I'll polish, I'll use molly grease to cause slip.

Hopefully it'll ma ke it smooth.

Atb

Quote Originally Posted by sherlock1963 View Post
    I would put one at both ends. Allow the spring to twist freely in whatever way it needs to during the cocking stroke and firing cycle.
    Yep, as above. Make sure spring ends are nice, flat and smooth. Nice, shiny, smooth washers. Giving a nice, flat bearing surface for the spring. Two at each end would be nice, allowing for slip between the washers, but one each end will suffice.

The reason I was asking about power is that these washers will increase the preload, so be sure to chrono check afterwards. If the power is too close for comfort, you will need to collapse the spring a few mil.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!