Thread: Laser bore sighter

Laser bore sighter

Anybody recommend a good laser bore sighter and do they work ?

Thumbs up

They'll get you on the target but that's about it
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

Quote Originally Posted by joffy View Post
    They'll get you on the target but that's about it
    Ok thanks I spend a lot of time lately swapping and zeroing scopes for friends and want it to get the scope on sight quicker and then fine tune . Is there a particular decent brand that anybody can recommend I'd like to buy the best possible and hopefully not waste money on cheap rubbish .

Don't bother IMO.

It will tell you no more than a single shot onto a piece of A4 paper at 10 yards.

Mines a generic one...and using trajectory maps to get the poi for near zero I get within an inch of the far zero. My neighbour (megatron) is a real curtain twitcher and comes straight out with her crutches the second a shots fired so its worth using for me. On a night I have used peoples houses to set to the far zero (on the laser, not plicking) and that gets me about 2" within zero in the field so just use near zero. Certainly takes the guess work out of finding the zero card with 3-4 pellets.
    Air Arms S410F Classic .177 (AGS 6-24x50 SFIR), Walther Rotex RM8 Black .22 (Hawke Vantage 3-12x50 AO IR), Walther Century .177 (Walther ZF 6x42 AO, BKL one piece mount), Remington Express AR1 .22 (AGS 6-24x50 SFIR, BKL one piece mount ss),

The best argument is perhaps to check zero hasn't changed but even then I think it's a waste of money.

It's a neat idea but it is nothing that bore sighting can't do and on air....a bit of paper tells you spot on.

If the rifle action is clamped you have potential for a 1 shot zero but even then....an individual structure means they will have to fine tune and the harmonics of a human are different to a bench vice.

One won't be in my tackle box any time soon.

OH and if it's red.....you won't be zeroing right now anyway...sun's too strong. You won't see jack schitt
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

If you're looking at a cartridge one, don't get the ones off the bay of E....I bought one ( I think about £12) for .308 and when I slipped it in the chamber all i got was a mass of reflections out of the barrel.

I put the bore sighter in a V-block and rolled it... the laser dot made a nice 2 inch circle.....on a wall 2 ft away...!!

I couldn't be ar$ed to return it, so just left poor feedback and modified the bore sighter so it gave me some indication of where the gun was pointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryll View Post
    If you're looking at a cartridge one, don't get the ones off the bay of E....I bought one ( I think about £12) for .308 and when I slipped it in the chamber all i got was a mass of reflections out of the barrel.

I put the bore sighter in a V-block and rolled it... the laser dot made a nice 2 inch circle.....on a wall 2 ft away...!!

I couldn't be ar$ed to return it, so just left poor feedback and modified the bore sighter so it gave me some indication of where the gun was pointing.
    Same here, they come with alignment screws to centralise the laser, before using it I put a length of known true barrel in the lathe, clocked it up true and fitted the laser into this, then set about centring it, as it came it was scribing a 5" circle on the workshop wall 5yds away, I got it down to a half inch circle after much embuggerance, then removed it from the barrel and re fitted it and, back to roundy roundies!

I ended up making up a brass calibre specific collet that locates the laser properly, the adjustable ones they come with are rubbish!

It's ok for a basic zero but that's it.