Thread: Silver Star Service ?

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring

Silver Star Service ?

Think my SS may need a little bit of attention ?
    On cocking, I'm getting a "metalic grating sound" coming from maybe the guides, something "catching" obviously. Is this normal or should I get it seen to ?
    Ta.
    “An airgun or two”………

Doesn't sound normal to me. Mine only gets occasional use, but no grating noises; maybe the spring has fractured...?

The springs OK.
    What appears to be happening is that on cocking, the internal (in cylinder) ends of the two guide arms (cocking linkage) are catching on the top of the spring.
    There is no sound once the barrel assembly is retuned to the firing position.

Everything else is fine and the pistol is in excellent condition showing very little signs of use !
    Last edited by Blackrider; 04-05-2016 at 07:39 PM.
    “An airgun or two”………

Hmm, have you had the gun since new? Assuming the spring is tight on the guide, it would sound like the gauge of spring wire is too big, maybe suggesting it's not OEM spec. If it's not tight, I would certainly be suspicious. I've not had mine apart, so can't comment on the correct wire gauge. Has it just started doing this, or done it for as long as you have had the pistol? Replacement springs are in stock at Chambers. https://www.gunspares.co.uk/products/24564/HW45/
    If you've had it since new, maybe it's just a tolerance issue. If there is no sign of metal flakes/chips visible through the slot, it may just be one of those mildly annoying things one puts up with, but it doesn't sound right.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Think my SS may need a little bit of attention ?
    On cocking, I'm getting a "metalic grating sound" coming from maybe the guides, something "catching" obviously. Is this normal or should I get it seen to ?
    Ta.
    Not sure without seeing it myself, John, but it's worth trying some of that V-Mach moly grease that you have, applying a small amount to each of the contact areas and see if that helps.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by ashf9999 View Post
    Hmm, have you had the gun since new? Assuming the spring is tight on the guide, it would sound like the gauge of spring wire is too big, maybe suggesting it's not OEM spec. If it's not tight, I would certainly be suspicious. I've not had mine apart, so can't comment on the correct wire gauge. Has it just started doing this, or done it for as long as you have had the pistol? Replacement springs are in stock at Chambers. https://www.gunspares.co.uk/products/24564/HW45/
    If you've had it since new, maybe it's just a tolerance issue. If there is no sign of metal flakes/chips visible through the slot, it may just be one of those mildly annoying things one puts up with, but it doesn't sound right.
    Bought the pistol second hand off the one sole owner. It's not very old.
    I've not had it apart. The spring looks fine until I compare it with another 45, I won't know for sure I guess ?
    As you say, it may be something I will have to tolerate.
    Thanks.
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Not sure without seeing it myself, John, but it's worth trying some of that V-Mach moly grease that you have, applying a small amount to each of the contact areas and see if that helps.
    I'll try that before "invasive surgery" Tony !
    “An airgun or two”………

Out of interest, when cocked on full power, the coils are tightly together, and you can count 30 complete coils (you'll need to move the cocking arm/barrel shroud part way through counting so that the levers that pull on the piston move out the way). There is the slightest of 'washboard' noise when moving the barrel shroud up and down, but barely noticeable. Fewer coils may suggest a slightly different spring spec to what happens to be in this one. Likewise, don't pull it apart unless necessary.