Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HW 80 gone mental.

HW 80 gone mental.

It was shooting quite nicely.

I rather excitedly added my tinbum short stroke kit to my welsh willy internals (spring,guide, top hat, washers and piston seal) bolted the scope on, took out a new tin of pellets (h and n barracuda as opposed to my usual h and n ftt) then went forth to zero.

Something close to 6 inch groups at about 12 yards. Ouch. Tried taking the mod off in case of clipping but no. Nice firing cycle though!

Got a bit emotional and gave up.

Going to methodically go through everything once I can muster the enthusiasm.

Pants

Pellets?
    1 Rapid+sentinal n/v, 1 HW100+ Mamba lite

I hope so. That's what I'm going to try first at least. Followed by the scope.

It would occasionally put a few in a reasonable group. All of a sudden that would go and be all over the place. I've 2 inch low and one left for four pellets then all of a sudden well out high and right followed by all around the clock to various extremities.

NewPaul is offline Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    As per Bladerunners suggestion - "pellets". Easier to try that first before stripping again. I bought a nearly ne HW95 the other week and tried a few different brands of pellets in it. Next time I took it out I used RWS Superdomes and it was similar to your results - yep, gutting. So I cleaned the barrel with a few pull through so and loaded the Superdomes again. After 20 odd pellets it was shooting bang on I hope it is as easy as that for you. Keep us posted though. Good luck.
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Stock screws, barrel hinge bolt, piston and breech seals and barrel crown are what I'd check after a barrel,clean and re-lead with decent pellets.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

I don't think it's anything too internal as I'm getting a fair bit of left to right as well. But it might come to that!

Feels nice to shoot though, ignoring where it's hitting. Which is nice.

mine did this exact thing it was the barel hinge bolt for some reason mine only likes one spring washer .it only had one when I got it I tried to remedy this thinking I was doing the right thing but no it had to be just the one .my hw80 is 36 year old battered but full of carictor and seams to know what she wants .
    Also would be worth chrono I found when a hw80 drops very low like 5fp the acuracy is not there .
    and that barel hinge bolt seems very senitive to how tight you do it and doesn't like thread lock .

Quote Originally Posted by jon_h View Post

I rather excitedly added my tinbum short stroke kit to my welsh willy internals (spring,guide, top hat, washers and piston seal) bolted the scope on, took out a new tin of pellets (h and n barracuda as opposed to my usual h and n ftt) then went forth to zero.

Something close to 6 inch groups at about 12 yards. Ouch. Tried taking the mod off in case of clipping but no. Nice firing cycle though!

Pants
    With all the mods you have done there is a fair chance it will of changed which pellet it prefers. I suggest you start with FTT and then try others if no luck. Mine likes Crossman 14,3 grain round heads best.
    Atb Max
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    With all the mods you have done there is a fair chance it will of changed which pellet it prefers. I suggest you start with FTT and then try others if no luck. Mine likes Crossman 14,3 grain round heads best.
    Atb Max
    I am interested in what you write, how would the barrel change what it liked.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by barrel View Post
    I am interested in what you write, how would the barrel change what it liked.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    It does happen, change the SCR by enough and all sorts of strange things start to happen! My tx has had quite a lot done and now hares JSB's with a passion!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

I had one for years,it prefered Barracudas,I had a "Scope creep bracket"behind the scope.With the power behind the spring and the piston "Bottoming out" it threw threw scope out without it.
    If you have another scope,I would change it for your present one and try that.
    Providing your present scope is not damaged,you can refit it,and recheck.I would suspect the tightness of your scope fitting personally.

Be interesting to know the results

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    It does happen, change the SCR by enough and all sorts of strange things start to happen! My tx has had quite a lot done and now hares JSB's with a passion!
    I suppose I am asking what's the science/physics behind it as there must be a reason. This one that has me baffled to be honest.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

I don't think pellets are going to spread 6" at 12 yds unless they are bits of tin foil.

If it's actually doing that, something is loose or broken.

Seal

What does it sound like when it goes off? The breech seal went on mine and the accuracy went with it.

Quote Originally Posted by jon_h View Post

Pants
    Classic case of experimentation with too many variables.
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.