Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M & G Diana 1901 or 1904

M & G Diana 1901 or 1904

Can anyone identify this M & G rifle I have just got in to refurb. Has barrel release lever and safety button. Also looks like a UK import as it has "Manufactured in Germany" stamped on it.

Baz

Last edited by Benelli B76; 02-05-2016 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Add pics
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Can anyone identify this M & G rifle I have just got in to refurb. Has barrel release lever and safety button. Also looks like a UK import as it has "Manufactured in Germany" stamped on it.

Baz

Looks like the 1901 Patent, Baz.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Looks like the 1901 Patent, Baz.
    Thought you would know. Any idea on value when I finished it ? Will you want any photos ?

Baz

m and g

HI, baz, M and G Dolphin, first air rifle made by M and G, 1901 to 1905,(I have one),ATB , Ray

Quote Originally Posted by wrightonn View Post
    HI, baz, M and G Dolphin, first air rifle made by M and G, 1901 to 1905,(I have one),ATB , Ray
    Thanks Ray, looks like a quality built rifle, haven't started work on it yet. What are they worth in good working order as this one is for sale.

Baz

Thought you would know. Any idea on value when I finished it ? Will you want any photos ?

Baz
    Not really sure about value once you've refinished it, Baz. I think the rear sight is probably a replacement for the original folding-leaf rear sight.

I haven't seen many MGRs/Ansonias on the market recently. I've always thought the early MGR rifles are quite cheap considering how old they are, but it seems a lot were produced in the first place.

It's quite uncommon to see them with this type of safety catch intact - IIRC the design was dropped as ineffective quite early on (safeties reappeared later fitted into the top rear of the Ansonia trigger block) so the fact yours has the earlier safety present might add to its value somewhat?

Yes, I would appreciate pics for the gallery, please.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

mgr

Hi, Baz,as Danny said,none standard rear sight,bad split to stock,(is that a screw hole above the split?)the main body needs re-nickel plated, barrel re-blued, stock repaired and finished,this would not be cheap, not sure if you would get your money back at resale, but you would have a very nice antique rifle.
    Henry Krank has one,refinished, at £795////
    Micks Guns has one, refinished,at £325. both have been on sale for about 2 years.
    value of yours , between £280 to £320, hope this helps, ATB , Ray.

Hi, Baz,as Danny said,none standard rear sight,bad split to stock,(is that a screw hole above the split?)the main body needs re-nickel plated, barrel re-blued, stock repaired and finished,this would not be cheap, not sure if you would get your money back at resale, but you would have a very nice antique rifle.
    Henry Krank has one,refinished, at £795////
    Micks Guns has one, refinished,at £325. both have been on sale for about 2 years.
    value of yours , between £280 to £320, hope this helps, ATB , Ray.
    Ray, I rebuild rifles every week so I never normally pay for work done. I am going to blue the whole rifle so no plating I'm afraid. Will make a new adjustable back sight and repair split in stock and refinish woodwork. Fit new spring and perhaps make a new polyurethane piston seal if it needs one. If you knew how much it cost, almost any price will be a profit.

Thanks, Baz

Diana Dolhin

Would it be possible to show me how the safety works, through pics and with dimensions,please?
    I have 2 of these, both refinnished but without the actual safety, it would be nice to have at least one with the safety button.
    This model is actually the 3e model they made in this form ..

Here they are together with a Ansonia (bottom).

--------------------------
    Frank

Full restoration can be seen at: http://www.network54.com/Forum/40594...age/1289420045
    Last edited by frakor; 03-05-2016 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by frakor View Post
    Would it be possible to show me how the safety works, through pics and with dimensions,please?
    I have 2 of these, both refinnished but without the actual safety, it would be nice to have at least one with the safety button.
    This model is actually the 3e model they made in this form ..

Here they are together with a Ansonia (bottom).

--------------------------
    Frank

Full restoration can be seen at: http://www.network54.com/Forum/40594...age/1289420045
    Frank, will be stripping later this week. Sending pics to Garvin, so if you PM me your email address can forward them on to you.

Baz

mgr

HI, Baz, do you need the dimensions for the flip up sight ? atb Ray.

HI, Baz, do you need the dimensions for the flip up sight ? atb Ray.
    Ray, that would be great, looks like a simple design. Will PM my email address. Just got it stripped and see that I will have to make a new piston seal as it is totally gone. The rifle is well made and the compression cylinder looks like it has a ground finish.

Baz P.S. your mail box is full.
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 05-05-2016 at 09:37 AM. Reason: P.S. ADDED

mgr

HI, Baz , made some room in inbox, will measure up at the weekend,ATB, Ray.

[QUOTE=Benelli B76;6984597]Frank, will be stripping later this week. Sending pics to Garvin, so if you PM me your email address can forward them on to you.

Baz[/

Thanks in advance. :-)
    For the piston seal I used a leather Diana 35 seal, as can be seen in this pic.

----------------------------------------
    Frank
    Last edited by frakor; 07-05-2016 at 06:50 AM.

Frank, will be stripping later this week. Sending pics to Garvin, so if you PM me your email address can forward them on to you.

Baz
    Stripdown pics here.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery