Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Options on a new classic springer for my collection

Options on a new classic springer for my collection

Took a bunch of rifles to the local pay and play range yesterday. Everything from the vintage 1920s BSAs, classic HW35 and 95 sprngers, PCPs etc.

I ended up having the most fun with the HW35e, mostly as it was my only 22, great for knocking things about. (didnt bother with the Webley Mk3, that has to go)
    2nd best were the vintage BSAs, but they are both 177, so not knocking things about with a great deal of power.

Before yesterday I was dead set on selling the 35e, as the slightly RH stock bugs me, and unless im sitting, the barrel catch dosnt work for a leftie, too many different hand holds to get the rifle cocked in a standing position. Was fine sitting, but need it to be more versatile.

So looking for a replacement for the HW35e, it needs to be a 22 with fair power, easy to cock, and not handed.

2 options I have in my head:

1: Vintage BSA Standard in 22 as I have seen these do good power, but needs a rear diopter sight for the added accuracy, these dont come up too often.
    2. An older HW95 carbine in 22, set up with classic 4x32 scope, I would drop this into a spare HW98 stock, yes I realise this is not a classic in the slightest, but its lightweight, pointable, quiet, easy to cock, shoot all day!

Is there a better classic than option 2? HW80 is out, just too heavy, along with most underlevers. It must be capable of around 11ftlbs while being easy to cock, and have a good dependable barrel lock up.

Cheers!
    Thanks - Geoff.

The FWB Sport springs to mind a 127 would be ample for your needs. Others to consider are the original break barrel models like the 35S or higher powered 45.How about a Webley Vulcan MK2 ?

Sport 127, Webley Omega and Original 45; all classics.

Drastic plastic then a High Power and BSA Buccaneer.

From then on it all gets a bit modern.

What about a mk1 or mk2 Airsporter Geoff? Mine has an original PH aperture sight and after a tune by Paul at BFTO, she shoots like a dream as well as having lots of oomph behind each pellet.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

The fwb sport and webley omega sound good, I'm sure I saw an omega in LH stock once, although I'm slightly put off by the mk3, hopefully a break barrel webley will be better.

Will have to look a bit closer at an airsporter next time I see one at the club.

Cheers - Geoff.
    Last edited by mrgeoff; 04-05-2016 at 11:02 AM.
    Thanks - Geoff.

Unframed Dave is online now World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Is a 98 stock particularly lightweight?

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Frame View Post
    Is a 98 stock particularly lightweight?

Dave
    A 98 barrel may not be light, but a 95 carbine in a 98 stock should be lighter than the 35e the musket that it is!

LOL, just weighed the 35e, a tad over 3.7kg. my HW95k in a 98 stock, SAK silencer, Prostaff scope, mounts, sling etc is only 4kg!!!
    Last edited by mrgeoff; 04-05-2016 at 02:46 PM.
    Thanks - Geoff.

This is a no brainer. Look for either a Webley Tomahawk or Longbow in .22, both are lighter, are fully ambidextrous and will be exactly what you are looking for. A 4 x 32 or 2-7 x 32 will be ideal for all your needs.
    HTH Oldcurmudgeon

HW85 ? Ive got an early Mk1 (raised BSF type scope rail) which I can shoot easy leftie.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Now your talking, an early HW85k
    Not seen many for sale though....

Any help finding one would be appreciated, possible PX for a lovely HW35E

Cheers - Geoff.
    Thanks - Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post
    Now your talking, an early HW85k
    Not seen many for sale though....

Any help finding one would be appreciated, possible PX for a lovely HW35E

Cheers - Geoff.
    What you need is a wonderful Sterling HR83, in .22 flavour with a fab left handed walnut stock ( Very Rare) I might know where one can be found

Lakey

How about an Original 75HV target rifle? A mass produced pin point precision built rifle. Is it on par with a Whiscombe rifle, build quality wise?

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    What you need is a wonderful Sterling HR83, in .22 flavour with a fab left handed walnut stock ( Very Rare) I might know where one can be found

Lakey
    I am sure this could be quite lovely, sounds pricy though, and a bit of a distraction from a new plinking rifle to knock tin cans about with!

Cheers!
    Thanks - Geoff.

How about a nice Original Model 66, leftie of course. I picked this http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=69up a couple of years ago quite cheap so they are around.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Been giving this some thought, the FWB, HW85 etc are kinda too similar to the 35e. The FWB127 looks a nice rifle, but in the end I see little point selling the 35 to get the 127.
    The thread about accurate airsporters has put me off those, im never lucky enough to get a good one.
    A target style rifle would have to be 22, and while a leftie target rifle is on my list, thats for another day.

Im going to give the HW35e some more time, if I bond with it more, a classic scope, or rear diopter maybe in order.

Thanks for all the options.

Cheers!
    Thanks - Geoff.