Thread: I've just discovered an airsporter variant that has eluded me for years...

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia

I've just discovered an airsporter variant that has eluded me for years...

.. a properly accurate one

Just been playing with my recently acquired RB2 .22 (from a very nice chap on the BBS, who I met at Mick's springer bash). It quite likes hobbies (around 1/2" at 20 yards) but really like JSB exacts (1/4" at 20 yards).

Running at 10.8 FP, all I've done is shave 30g off the piston and fitted a new seal. It's still quite lively to shoot, but can't complain about the accuracy. And I know it's all modern and new fangled, but it looks lovery too...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Great news, Jon.

That looked a lovely little rifle.

I had a few goes with Gwyn's Superstar and loved it.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I've just discovered an airsporter variant that has eluded me for years...

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post

Just been playing with my recently acquired RB2 .22 (from a very nice chap on the BBS, who I met at Mick's springer bash). It quite likes hobbies (around 1/2" at 20 yards) but really like JSB exacts (1/4" at 20 yards).

Running at 10.8 FP, all I've done is shave 30g off the piston and fitted a new seal. It's still quite lively to shoot, but can't complain about the accuracy. And I know it's all modern and new fangled, but it looks lovery too...
    Try it with the largest head size ftt's you can get. If you wind out the port restricter screw (with heat to loosen the locktight). it'll be even better & may need a coil or two off or weaker spring but will be easier to cock & shoot. The two o-rings on the roller breach may need replacing if the power drops or it's ever inconsistant. Best airsporter I've ever shot by a long way for accuracy & power.

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    Best airsporter I've ever shot by a long way for accuracy & power.
    Wow, two good Airsporters!

By my reckoning, there's one more good one to find.

Who knows, maybe its a stutzen??

I bet it won't be a .177...

Exciting though, isn't it?

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Blimey have I just entered a parallel universe a good mention of the renowned Airsporter, with out hint of HW anywhere

Well done chaps I'm proud of you, especially you Tony.

By the way not all RB2's had the port restricter screw, the two standard models I've had in the past didn't have them but my Stutzen did and I believe the .25 calibre models did as well.

Enjoy and respect

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35

Was it the standard BSA seal you put in Jon?

Oh and when you decide to sell it, please let me know first

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Yeah, no port restrictor on this one, and yes, just a regular BSA seal - the original was OK, but a fraction loose - I like a slightly tighter fit as it gives a softer shot cycle (at the expense of a little power) - and as I was in there shaving the piston anyways, figured I may as well replace and be done for the next 20 years. The old, slightly small one will be perfect in my FWB sports

Really impressed

PS thanks for the tip on H&N, one of the few I didn't try (tried superdomes, hobbies, FAPs, superfield and LRG)
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Bet the trigger is still sh*te.

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Bet the trigger is still sh*te.
    Airsporter triggers are easy to fettle!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

rb2

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Blimey have I just entered a parallel universe a good mention of the renowned Airsporter, with out hint of HW anywhere

Well done chaps I'm proud of you, especially you Tony.

By the way not all RB2's had the port restricter screw, the two standard models I've had in the past didn't have them but my Stutzen did and I believe the .25 calibre models did as well.

Enjoy and respect

Pete
    You are right, i have rb2 Stutzen in ,25 cal. serial no 1001, which is Number 2 off the production line 1992 in orig. box and all docs.As new.Roly.