Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Junk shops finds

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters

Junk shops finds

While waitng for the Mrs today I had a wander around a local junk shop, i bought this:

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...psqgifjsmt.jpg

Ok, so its not a BP gun, but it is helluva cool!

However, they also had this:

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...psuiimnq20.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...pspv9pkcjz.jpg

The butt is broken and loose, but the mechanism appears to be complete and moving and the front edge of the hammer has wear from use. The seller would accept £80, which seems steep to me!

Then he brought out this:

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...ps9y3os1lj.jpg

An Adams revolver, very rare and very valuable apparently? I'm not so sure?

Lastly, I found this lovely little boxed pair:

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...pslnqrckce.jpg

Ok, so they're cap guns, but they work, have half the original "bullets", and one still has the ram rod. Trouble is, as they use black powder to fire a projectile I think they may technically be section 1!!

Any thoughts on any of the above?
    God rest ye jelly mental men

i got an adams but is a relic etc but i like that one

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    The boxed Adams is a sought after item for collectors of English Revolvers. Adams collaborated with a number of firearms makers of the time, including Beaumont and Deane. Worth in the low thousands depending on condition, and if the accessories are contemporaneous. What was he asking for it?
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    The boxed Adams is a sought after item for collectors of English Revolvers. Adams collaborated with a number of firearms makers of the time, including Beaumont and Deane. Worth in the low thousands depending on condition, and if the accessories are contemporaneous. What was he asking for it?

He thought it was worth £2.5-3k at auction, But I thought he sounded a bit hopeful. There are bullets in one of the comparments, but whether they're the rght ones/period is another matter. I cocked and checked the action, the cylinder didn't lock up tight, felt kinda slack.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    He thought it was worth £2.5-3k at auction, But I thought he sounded a bit hopeful. There are bullets in one of the comparments, but whether they're the rght ones/period is another matter. I cocked and checked the action, the cylinder didn't lock up tight, felt kinda slack.
    Strangely, collectors are not bothered about the condition of the internals, even the bore. Lockup on BP guns of the day is usually slack - but can be improved if you want to shoot it competitively. Collectors will cringe at this - they are only interested in the external appearance and originality. Shooters are the exact opposite and a skanky looking original with nice bore will fetch more than a "clean" one with pitted bore. Beats me.

The condition looks pretty fair and untouched to me - 3k is a bit hopeful, but it might be a rare model (I don't know enough to tell the difference). I think that Adams favoured a bullet which had a sprue at the base, where a felt wad could be attached - might have been someone else tho'.

One day I will find a boxed pair of minty Manton flinters in a car boot sale for £250.
    Last edited by Turnup; 05-05-2016 at 05:10 PM.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

it must be a late model Adams as the original ones were double action only and had no hammer spur.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaumo...Adams_revolver
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...pslnqrckce.jpg

Ok, so they're cap guns, but they work, have half the original "bullets", and one still has the ram rod. Trouble is, as they use black powder to fire a projectile I think they may technically be section 1!!

Any thoughts on any of the above?
    If I remember correctly, the pirate guns didn't use black powder at all, the projectile was propelled by the blast from a large round cap going through a slot into the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by magicesperanto View Post
    If I remember correctly, the pirate guns didn't use black powder at all, the projectile was propelled by the blast from a large round cap going through a slot into the barrel.
    Yep, which is still section one isn't it? I know the "Gambler" spud guns dissapeared from sale and they used the same propellant.

I'll probably buy them next week if they're still there, it's a nice little set.

Yep, which is still section one isn't it? I know the "Gambler" spud guns dissapeared from sale and they used the same propellant.

I'll probably buy them next week if they're still there, it's a nice little set.
    Yes at that price you should.
    They are very common, but not boxed and complete.

As for section one, I doubt it.

shame its so far away I would of had the damaged pistol

Nice junk shop, I have some round here but they appear to be full of.....well, junk
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Hi tinbum, could you make some space in your inbox . Been trying to pm you.

Kat

Quote Originally Posted by kat1 View Post
    Hi tinbum, could you make some space in your inbox . Been trying to pm you.

Kat
    I'm just sooo popular!

Can anyone tell me anything about the pocket pistol? Is difficult or worthwhile to repair?

I'm just sooo popular!

Can anyone tell me anything about the pocket pistol? Is difficult or worthwhile to repair?
    Did it cock and dry fire (carefully)? These pocket pistols have a large spring in the frame at the grip. Quite often they are missing or too weak to function because of their age.

Well if anyone is struggling, I have made several springs for pistols, it is quite easy.