Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Junk shops finds

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I'm just sooo popular!

Can anyone tell me anything about the pocket pistol? Is difficult or worthwhile to repair?
    Could be worth a repair but not at £80. That is about its value working.

While I was in Oregon last week I saw a 'repaired' Manton fowler in as-new condition for sale for $2500. The vendor had found the lock at a gun show - no cock,just the lock - and had replicated the rest of the gun using parts from 'The Rifle Shoppe' and other places. Every single part except the lock plate was new, and cost him around $1200 in total, including a Grade AAA stock.

Since it had Manton on the lockplate the proud vendor felt justified in calling it that.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Since it had Manton on the lockplate the proud vendor felt justified in calling it that.
    Bit like rebuilding a Spitfire to flying condition when all you have to start with is a rusty tail wheel dredged up in a fishing net.

Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    Bit like rebuilding a Spitfire to flying condition when all you have to start with is a rusty tail wheel dredged up in a fishing net.
    Yup. I once admired a beautiful late-40s Lagonda drophead coupe that had been 'rebuilt' from a steering wheel and a complete set of hood irons.

tac

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    I remember those cameras from back in the day, used to wholesale them. They were rubbish then
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    Isn't that pretty much what Guy Martin's team did with the Spitfire they built?
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    You mean the Duxford team that Guy Martin visited with a film crew ?

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    Yes, I don't think there would have been anything usable other than the ID plate and some other small token to be able to claim it was a "restoration" rather than a new plane built from scratch.