Thread: Parker Hale .451 volunteer

Parker Hale .451 volunteer

Hi Folks,

I am after some advice please, a while ago I bought a several hand PH .451 to use on longer military ranges, this happens two or three times a year. Initially I had success with the beasty, but used up the ammunition that came with the gun.

I bought some spitzer type bullets, what was available to me at the time, but at the range even at 100m all they seemed to do was tumble and strike below the target board. As one bloke said “Corr they make a lovely noise” as yet another whined down the range to kick up dust just before a 12 foot by 6 foot target screen, really sickening as we were booked on a 600 m range for the afternoon.

I have tried some wad cutter bullets these were reasonably OK at 100m but nowhere near as good as the rounded nosed bullets that came with the gun, at 400 m all I was doing was thumping the mantle, this I have put down to the powder I was using on the day (my normal musket/pistol powder for the short range at our club).

The person I bought the gun from fell out with the club and left not long after I took possession, unfortunately I don’t have any contact detail for him, so am unable to ask what he was using.

Please can those of you who use a PH.451 point me in the direction of the correct type of bullet, a supplier and the possibility of finding a suitable bullet mould.

Cheers
    Flash

More use to flintlocks, percussion seems awfully modern to me.

I asked one of the lads at the range today and reckons he uses 75 grain of Swiss powder at 200 yards.

If your bullets are dropping short then it is either because your powder charge is too small or the bullet is not sealing the bore, or both.

If you have one of the bullets that came with the rifle measure the diameter. If you can get the same type of bullet you should be ok. But bear in mind not any bullet will suit your rifle.
    You can have two idendical rifles and both can shoot differently with the same bullet/load.

Thanks

Hi enfield2band.

thanks for the reply

I have one of the original bullets left, so I will mic it up.

Does your friend cast his own or purchase pre-made ones, I am looking a supply as I don't have a mould, so any help in who/where to contact would be gratefully received. I've looked at Krank's site but as it's not spherical am a bit mystified.

May be I should see what a ball would do!

Cheers
    Flash

Quote Originally Posted by Flashinthepan View Post
    Hi enfield2band.

thanks for the reply

I have one of the original bullets left, so I will mic it up.

Does your friend cast his own or purchase pre-made ones, I am looking a supply as I don't have a mould, so any help in who/where to contact would be gratefully received. I've looked at Krank's site but as it's not spherical am a bit mystified.

May be I should see what a ball would do!

Cheers
    Flash
    Sorry for the delay replying, My pal has been away for a few days.

He said the .451 is not suited to a ball. The bullet is about 1-1/2" long and needs a minimum of about 60 grains of powder.
    He said he cast his own bullets and advises you to find a mould suited for the .451, as not any bullet will shoot well.

Apparently the military dropped this calibre (muzzleloader) because it fouled up too quickly and that was not acceptable on the battlefield. He did say that it is a very accurate rifle and is (was) used for hunting and was also used for long range sniping in the American Civil War.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful

All the best.

I have 27 long round nosed bullets I used when I had a PH 451 not sure do the dia or weight (over 505gr) but they seemed to shoot well.
    You are welcome to them if you are happy to cover the cost of postage.
    Send me your email by pm and il send you a pic

Hi enfield2band

Hi enfield2band,
    Thanks for your reply, thank your mate for me for his info - its a pity about the ball, so now I am on a quest for a suitable mould. the advice I have been given by reloading.org of Bristol is to get a mould that casts 500grain or 500plus grain bullet, sadly Kranks .451 bullet mould weighs in at 485grains, so the hunt continues.

cheers
    Flash

Hi Spr826

Hi Spr826
    I have just sent a PM, thank you.

Flash