Thread: Advice on buying first PCP 10 metre Target Rifle

Advice on buying first PCP 10 metre Target Rifle

May I begin by saying hello as a new member. My interest in airguns goes back over 50 years and I still have my Webley Premier ("B" Series) air pistol with both .177 and .22 barrels. It shoots as well today as it did in the 1960's.

Since recently joining my local club (it has excellent 6 yard and 10 metre ranges) I've had the chance to use their PCP rifles and pistols and I think I've now reached the stage where I need to think seriously about buying my own PCP target rifle. The club's Air Arms PCP Target rifles are great but they’re used by many members who, naturally, adjust the diopter sights to suit their preferences, and I have few opportunities to accurately zero whatever rifle I'm using. So having my own rifle would bring advantages and I'd welcome advice from forum members on a suitable rifle to buy.

Any competitions I enter are likely to be local, so there’s little point in buying the best target rifle money will buy. Having said that, I’ve set myself a budget of about £1,500, so I’m hoping I can buy something good, but obviously not Olympic standard.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Ty

I apolagise for avoiding answering, I usualy avoid these types of threads as it draws out very well meaning answers but often not the the ones that an experienced 10 mt rifle shooter would give and it then draws into a matter of preference not what is the best option.

My experience on 10 mt rifle is coaching, and at all levels, a rifle? First, your budget of £1500 will buy you either a good newish top spec used rifle in the UK or elswhere, or in Europe a new good spec rifle from one of the top makes.

Avoid the budget or "starter" rifles from the several manufacturers that fall into the up to £800 bracket new, they are not really good enough for serious 10 mts and you are better off buying a better second hand model.

I would advise sticking to the established and respected makes, Walther, FWB, Anschutz, Steyr.

Walther and FWB have economy versions of their current models LG400 and P800, with identical systems, but cheaper stocks, sights, and accessories which in Europe you can get for around your budget, they will perform as well as their top models.

If you look at used and the UK (or abroad) the just replaced models from Walther and FWB shoot as well as their new models, World cups and big championships are still being won with the LG300 (now replaced by the LG400) and the P700 (now replaced by the P800), and Anschutz now has a new model but the previous one is as good.
    And any Walther LG300, or FWB P700, or Anschutz 9000, or Steyr 110 are good buys in that price bracket, and they will take you to the final of a World cup should you be capable.

Just get as new as you can afford and stick to the established makes of Walther, FWB, Anschutz, and Steyr and you can't go far wrong. Every one has their preference, I certainly have mine, but you'll have to work it out for yourself, as if I tell you, all the debaters will start!

If you have an specific questions I'm happy to be emailed.

Good shooting,
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Robin,

Thank you for your comprehensive and most helpful advice. The forum is fortunate to have members, such as yourself, who are willing to take the time and steer relatively new and inexperienced members, such as myself, in the right direction. I was hoping that the four German/Austrian makers of high quality air rifles would be mentioned, and I'm so glad you did.

Thank you also for offering to take specific questions by email. I may well take you up on that.

All the best,

Ty Gwyn

Hi Ty, I bought a new FWB 800 Universal 18 months or so ago from Buinger in Germany, good cost saving and has certainly improved my shooting. Lovely rifle and have had no regrets spending that bit extra rather than always wondering what if?? if I had bought a cheaper gun.

Quote Originally Posted by jas750l View Post
    Hi Ty, I bought a new FWB 800 Universal 18 months or so ago from Buinger in Germany, good cost saving and has certainly improved my shooting. Lovely rifle and have had no regrets spending that bit extra rather than always wondering what if?? if I had bought a cheaper gun.
    Hi jas7501.That's good to know. I've always tried to buy the best I could afford, and with the benefit of Robin's advice above, and knowing what your experience has been with the FWB 800 Universal, I'd say this is now amongst the front runners. Thanks for sharing.