Thread: Retro Hunting....

Cool Retro Hunting....

http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/ra...2zqm6.jpg.html

It's been a good 35 years since my pal's pre-war Haenel II DRP went hunting and I've been itching to take her out in the field again, ever since he did some restoration work and brought her back to full working order a few weeks ago. Yesterday, I got my wish.

I was on the plinking range at the farm - with the Haenel - and noticed there was a lot of pigeon activity around the North Coppice. A perfect opportunity to give the old girl a piece of the action. No question about accuracy, she's easily a match for a modern open-sighted sporter and more than enough power - 9.7 ft/lb with 5.51mm AA Field - for live quarry.

Now, the irons on the Haenel - like the rest of her - were pretty much devoid of blue, good enough for the spinners, but not so good against trees and sky. A few seconds with a Zippo and the front sight was black again and perfectly contrasted with the rearsight and the world in general.

The pleasant weather over the past week has resulted in an explosion of green, so there was plenty of cover. This works both ways though, but I know where all the sitty-trees are, so was able to plot up in a spot that would likely give me a shot around the 15 yard mark, (as I wasn't prepared to shoot past 20 yards with opens).

Didn't have to wait long for some punters. I'd barely settled when three woodies swooped in. One disappeared into deep cover, but two landed in the dead tree - the focus of my attention - at the edge of the coppice. The closer one was partially obscured, but the other presented a perfect standing 16 yarder and caught it in the neck, dropping like a stone.

I waited for a while, hoping for a second, but the pigeon activity had moved on - possibly due to a couple of Buzzards circling overhead. Half an hour or so later, a pair of Collared doves parked up in the sitty-tree, but I don't consider them as quarry. All pigeon activity had finished though.

Next time I go hunting, I'm going to try for a rabbit with the Haenel, (from my favourite hotspot), so the HW99s may end up being out of a job now______________not....

Interesting post! I had a 1908 Lincoln Jefferies that was extremely accurate and would no doubt have been perfectly suitable for hunting at sensible ranges - unfortunately I sold it several years ago for £120

Collared doves parked up in the sitty-tree, but I don't consider them as quarry
    Me neither, pretty birds, I wouldn't dream of shooting them

Quote Originally Posted by capt hindsight View Post
    Me neither, pretty birds, I wouldn't dream of shooting them
    There's only two or three pairs on the farm and they do no damage - anyway, they would present no challenge to hunt, almost tame when compared to a woodie....