Thread: How tight? - Spring Guide & Top Hat

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How tight? - Spring Guide & Top Hat

Afternoon everyone,

I'm planning on smartening up the internals of a brand new HW80. I've got replacement delrin spring guide and top hat but, when fitted into the spring they are absolutely rock solid. No movement at all and impossible to remove without inserting a rod into the spring and tapping them out.

Is this right? I know it's preferable to have a 'snug' fit between these and the spring but I thought the spring should be free enough to rotate when being cocked / released (fired) or is this what the 'slip washers' are for?

Advice please...

In general the guide will just slide in the non compressed spring as when its compressed it will slide very easily.

BBF
    "The grass is always greener on the other side"

I'd follow the same advice for the top hat to be honest. I had a slightly tighter fitting top hat in a recent Terrus tune up. What I hadn't accounted for was the coil inner diameter being smaller farther down the spring. The upshot of it was the top hat actually jammed in the spring during cycle and it snapped the top hat upon firing.

I fitted TBT guides in my 99 but they were very tight with oem spring, shaved a few thou of guide and picked up nearly 2 ft/lbs. This got me thinking about my Longbow which had a Maccari kit fitted which came pre-assembled. The gun was good but the accuracy seemed to go off as you shot. I knew the spring was very tight on rear guide and once I managed to remove guide from spring and reduce its OD problem was immediately solved. Both guides are synthetic and I left both tophats as they were. Both guns were somewhat hold sensitive before and much improved after.

Quote Originally Posted by POK! View Post
    I fitted TBT guides in my 99 but they were very tight with oem spring, shaved a few thou of guide and picked up nearly 2 ft/lbs.
    Haven't got access to a lathe.. How else can these be reduced?

I fitted a 'Tbt tuning' kit to my 95k, the guides were quite tight to start off with but after 200-300 shots it settled in nicely, my advice would be to shoot it in !...

The " generic " guides are always over sized to allow to be correctly sized to the spring. If there is no lathe available then a wet and dry paper wrapped around the guide will do the job as only very little ( 0.1~0.2 millimeter ) needs to be taken off. The correct fit is slightly tighter than a sliding fit but not too tight as to prevent the spring from a smooth uncoil and release. If you can fit the guide with a slight push on to the spring then the fit is correct. All the springs in my guns seem to be sized differently on each end so sizing has to be done accordingly.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by TORNADOS7 View Post
    I fitted a 'Tbt tuning' kit to my 95k, the guides were quite tight to start off with but after 200-300 shots it settled in nicely, my advice would be to shoot it in !...
    What was it that made it apparent that the fit had loosened off?

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitslayer View Post

Please don't! That guide has been fitted specifically to run with the heavy gauge and long stroke of the HW80. If you don't like it feel free to return it for a refund, but please don't ruin it first!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Please don't! That guide has been fitted specifically to run with the heavy gauge and long stroke of the HW80. If you don't like it feel free to return it for a refund, but please don't ruin it first!
    Hi mate,

It's not that I don't like it, it's that when I came to remove the guides from the spring (already fitted to the spring provided in the kit) I couldn't pull them out for 'love nor money' I couldn't even turn them using my full force and I'm not a weakling...

My 'concern' is (and remember I've not done this before), will this tightness not allow a smooth release on firing due to it restricting the spring turning. If you're telling me it won't have a bad effect then I'll go ahead with the installation but I can't understand why folk bother to polish / lubricate the spring ends to 'ease' the spring turning if it doesn't turn.. if that makes sense?

I don't really want a refund, I want to continue with my plans to upgrade the 80

I have and I'm in peterborough

Springs open out (internally) on compression generally so looser in guide when in use in rifle......
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by bucketboy View Post
    I have and I'm in peterborough
    bucketboy,

Your in box is full...

I like a little friction

Afternoon everyone,

I'm planning on smartening up the internals of a brand new HW80. I've got replacement delrin spring guide and top hat but, when fitted into the spring they are absolutely rock solid. No movement at all and impossible to remove without inserting a rod into the spring and tapping them out.

Is this right? I know it's preferable to have a 'snug' fit between these and the spring but I thought the spring should be free enough to rotate when being cocked / released (fired) or is this what the 'slip washers' are for?

Advice please...
    Basically I make my guides to be a light to moderate "screw in/screw out" fitting in a set spring. As the spring is compressed, even just when the endplug is installed, the ID of the spring tends to increase a little and loosens up on the guide; producing a near perfect fit.