Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How tight? - Spring Guide & Top Hat

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitslayer View Post
    I don't disagree with you but then again, I guess no matter how good a mass produced gun is there will always be room for improvement. I'm only going down this route because the HW80 isn't the best at non FAC levels. So why buy the 80?... because I had one years ago and I wanted one again, only now it's much easier to make them shoot better.
    Yep. Particularly with a shorter stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    I must be fair, I bought a brand new '97K the other week - and it had a proper finished spring, no swarf inside, not much of a twang either...

It also had no steel piston sleeve (the old ones did).
    You kept that one quiet, Phil. Well done.

Chinese Barry, one of my bike customers who came to the April Bash on the Sunday afternoon, brought his new 97 and that was also twang free and very, very nice.

I've never personally seen an ex- factory gun with a piston sleeve, Phil.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    You kept that one quiet, Phil. Well done.

Chinese Barry, one of my bike customers who came to the April Bash on the Sunday afternoon, brought his new 97 and that was also twang free and very, very nice.

I've never personally seen an ex- factory gun with a piston sleeve, Phil.
    Aye, silver one with the black stock Tone.

Bits of it are in three guns now. These two actions: http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/u...psi2oiia8c.jpg

And I made meself a 'Black mamba'! http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/u...pseypwubwl.jpg

I thought the early '77s had a steel piston liner Tone. A few of mine did, and I think others have said they did though, don't they though...

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    Aye, silver one with the black stock Tone.

Bits of it are in three guns now. These two actions: http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/u...psi2oiia8c.jpg

And I made meself a 'Black mamba'! http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/u...pseypwubwl.jpg

I thought the early '77s had a steel piston liner Tone. A few of mine did, and I think others have said they did though, don't they though...

Ooo-er, your "Black Mamba" looks very, very nice, young Phil.

25mm internals, then?

I've not worked on gazillions of them, Phil, maybe a handful or so and I've never known one to have a liner as standard.

Earlier 95s did have them, but I understand later ones don't. The same might apply to the 98?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Ooo-er, your "Black Mamba" looks very, very nice, young Phil.

25mm internals, then?

I've not worked on gazillions of them, Phil, maybe a handful or so and I've never known one to have a liner as standard.

Earlier 95s did have them, but I understand later ones don't. The same might apply to the 98?
    Cheers Tone.

This one is going to be my target-y gun. 25mm piston at present, but I've bought the full-on TbT short stroke and kit for the 26mm internals, and if it works well with the standard TP, who knows - it might be going back in there.

And yep, I think you're right about the piston liners Tone. Sorry, I must have been confusing myself with the HW95s...

Looking lovely, Phil.

Just a quick update. I sent my spring guide back and got another sent that was still a little looser than I'd have liked. I also still think the guide should be longer, with all 3 power bands on (if it did need all 3) there would be very little spring guide left.

POK! very kindly sent me some Maccari tar, so I used a very fine coating of this on the spring when I assembled it and the result is a totally twang free firing cycle . I think it just needs short stroking now as the firing cycle seems a lot slower than my Vmach tuned rifles.

Hope the OP got his HW80 sorted out in the end as well?
    Last edited by Mark A; 28-05-2016 at 02:52 PM.