Thread: Update to reloaded rounds....

Update to reloaded rounds....

So as were all aware, I have just started reloading for my .223. After lengthy discussion here I decided to stick to normal COAL etc and just make some rounds up and see.

Well I made the following...

55 gn blitzkings
    24.2 gn Vit N133
    COAL 2.240"

These were shot through a remmy SPS 20" 1 in 8 barrel.

These fired well and were very accurate, as sierra said they would but I had one neck split, the cases grew 0.010" and there seemed to be cratering and flat primers (as per pic)

http://s32.postimg.org/8zrkk41dh/IMG_2309.jpg

http://s32.postimg.org/6txq8zeut/IMG_2310.jpg

Now.....!! as per previous posts about the brass being hard to close in said rifle when FL resizing I kept advancing the FL die until the bolt closed easy, which ended up with the die being advanced 3/4 turn as opposed to RCBS max of 1/4 turn. Would this or could this cause any issues. I know some folk are gonna give me stick somewhere down the line for something ive done haven't done, but all criticism is welcome as long as its constructive...over to the floor

Also I will add I do not have a chrono so could not tell you there speed.........if however there is someone close to me who has, please can I just test my rifle. I'm actually closer to West Bromwich than Birmingham...
    Without curiosity, evolution would have been greatly flawed.....

In my opinion you are using far too much powder. I would go for 20grains and work the load up. Don't change anything else.
    Hope this helps.

BBF
    "The grass is always greener on the other side"

what do factory rounds look like when fired through that rifle? i
    was extraction difficult?
    the split case maybe not an issue as long as its a one off, sometimes necks split.
    edit, just looked at the Vhit tables, you are loading a near max load as a starting point, you may want to reduce it 5% and see what the result is
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    what do factory rounds look like when fired through that rifle? i
    was extraction difficult?
    the split case maybe not an issue as long as its a one off, sometimes necks split.
    edit, just looked at the Vhit tables, you are loading a near max load as a starting point, you may want to reduce it 5% and see what the result is
    Kenny I have just checked some of my old sako cases (had to hunt high and low to find em) and to be honest the strike pattern is roughly the same, however the primer is a tad flatter on the reloaded stuff.

That was the only split case I had and no problems at all extracting the brass but as previously mentioned I have always had problems loading all rounds as it was hard to close the bolt. Since I made those though I don't have the problem(although they are well cammed over)

DaveK is offline Has been known to tickle spider crabs
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbaronfish View Post
    In my opinion you are using far too much powder. I would go for 20grains and work the load up. Don't change anything else.
    Hope this helps.

BBF
    Agreed. Try 22.3gn of 133 with the 55gn bullets. Seat them to just below the ogive. That's my favourite non techyanal load and it works a treat

just curious to what size the groups were ?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
    Agreed. Try 22.3gn of 133 with the 55gn bullets. Seat them to just below the ogive. That's my favourite non techyanal load and it works a treat
    OK but what ogive?? These blitzkings don't have one...

zak 3 shots and they were cloverleaf

As above, you are right at the top of the Viht load tables which is not a good place to start loading from.

I would be worried by that amount of cratering, though of course primers are generally a poor indicator of pressure and firing pin fit could be clouding the issue. However, I'd be taking it as a strong indication that something could be amiss. Has the head expanded?

Were the cases previously fired in this rifle?

I too would suggest that the load is far too heavy. the cratering on the primers may just be the crap fit of the firing pin in the bolt. My SAKO shows no sign of cratering with 23.8 gr of N133 (nor have I had any split necks, but then I only neck size). However, my Remington craters all the time over a wide range of loads - I think they are known for the loose fit of the firing pin! It hasn't been an issue for me.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    OK but what ogive?? These blitzkings don't have one...

zak 3 shots and they were cloverleaf
    All bullets have an ogive !!
    Are you confusing Ogive with Cannelure ??

Cratering

Remingtons are renowned for showing cratering to primers, even at relatively moderate loads. The striker to striker hole difference is the problem. There is no real support to the primer because the hole in the bolt is so large. Normally cratering is a danger sign of too much pressure, but in the case of Remingtons it is not a reliable indicator.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bailiff View Post
    All bullets have an ogive !!
    Are you confusing Ogive with Cannelure ??

That's exactly what ive done..apologies all

Enigma, i just looked back on your thread where you stated you picked up a considerable amount of once fired brass, with all due respect and i understand novice reloaders have to start some where, but alleged once fired brass from other rifles is going to cause you grief.
    The split neck tells me that the brass is hard and most likely the result of several loading cycles.
    Do you know the history of the brass? IMI ammunition and brass intended for bolt actions/reloading is marked as 223 Match, yours could be mil spec and as such will have thicker walls and less capacity then commercial 223 cases, hence the pressure signs.
    You novice reloaders do yourselves no favours using fired brass from another rifle, it might seem like a bargain but not worth the problems it can create.
    Save yourself a lot of grief and buy new brass or use factory ammo cases fired in your rifle.

TB.

Quote Originally Posted by Treebone View Post
    Enigma, i just looked back on your thread where you stated you picked up a considerable amount of once fired brass, with all due respect and i understand novice reloaders have to start some where, but alleged once fired brass from other rifles is going to cause you grief.
    The split neck tells me that the brass is hard and most likely the result of several loading cycles.
    Do you know the history of the brass? IMI ammunition and brass intended for bolt actions/reloading is marked as 223 Match, yours could be mil spec and as such will have thicker walls and less capacity then commercial 223 cases, hence the pressure signs.
    You novice reloaders do yourselves no favours using fired brass from another rifle, it might seem like a bargain but not worth the problems it can create.
    Save yourself a lot of grief and buy new brass or use factory ammo cases fired in your rifle.

TB.
    Your right in most aspects....it was mil spec but weighs the same as commercial brass that I did check, that's how I knew the PMP was thicker walled cos it weighs 10gn heavier.