Thread: 223 53gr V-Max Load Development

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZAKDINGEL View Post
    Because the start load of 23.9grn shot shite no other reason and using the weight I said still makes it very fast and flat shooting I zero one inch high at 100 and have shot fox at 300 plus with a drop of no more than one inch I think that the ramshot chart is a little to hot on some of the loads----- like barrels everyone is different
    Fair enough, what sort of velocity are you getting? I never had issues with Tac until max load when I was using it with 52gr a-max, at least it'll be kinder to your brass too.

I'm just sorting out a 40 gr load with Sierra blitzkings and exterminator, found a nice accuracy node at 25.8 so loaded 100 of these up to keep me going but as I had no pressure signs when I get a chance to do some more load testing, I'm going to keep going up to max in .3 gr increments to see if I can find another accurate load. I want it as flat as possible as it will be an NV load and it will make the little pill cope with wind better.

Edit: now I'm intrigued, was it a lasered 300 yards? Assuming a 1.75" scope height I've just plugged the figures in to a ballistic calculator and to get 1.5" drop from your zero at 300 yards the v-max would need to be doing 5500 fps! I'm guessing your load is doing around 3100-3300 from the load data! The top end of which gives you 8.5" drop at 300...
    Last edited by 223AI; 16-05-2016 at 08:33 PM.
    Thanks for looking