Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have I accidently bought an early Venom Arms HW80 today?

Have I accidently bought an early Venom Arms HW80 today?

Hi,

This is not a wind up and I am not usually a jammy so and so. But it is a plea for the collective knowledge of the BBS to guide me.

Today I bought an early HW80 in pieces as a project. I always fancied one and this one had an unusually nice beech stock that looked kind of familiar but I couldn't quite place it. The Wegu but pad was marked HW so I assumed it was some sort of deluxe factory stock. The internals also looked slightly breathed upon and I think the piston is an o-ring conversion missing the o-ring. The piston had a very nice metal liner and the and the spring guide was very professional looking.

Anyway on the down side it came with a bent .22" barrel that I don't think goes with the action/stock. The number on the barrel is 900141 if anyone can suggests the age from that please let me know.

So I am now back at home sorting out my tea and thought I would trawl the internet looking for details of factory HW80 fancy stocks when I came across a site that I think I found ages ago via here springgunshooter.co.uk

It has some has some links to old Venom Arms adverts. Low and Behold one is an advert for the Venom Arms "The Classic 35" (HW35) and "The Magnum Force" (HW80). And blow me, the HW80 is wearing an identical stock to the one I just bought! According the advert it is a restyled and custom stippled beech stock finished in satin sunburst! Can anyone suggests a date for this advert/stock?

So the stock is Venom Arms (or at least supplied to Venom Arms). Would the o-ring piston with no bearings be a period Venom Arms tune for the HW80 Magnum Force?

What do you all think I have got? And thanks in advance.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Hw80

900141 is from the first batch of 80's into the UK. ..funny enough I own 900143. Pics will help me tell you what you have...will I'll try. Mach 1.5

Its from the early days of Venom when they were at Trapshot in the eighties.

Nice find.

Venom parted company with Trapshot of Lye in 1982.

Thanks for the replies chaps.

I will try to post some pictures I took tonight of the stock and piston and spring guide. Can't remember which picture hosting site I used ages ago and even if I could I definitely can't remember the password

Too pooped to set up a new one now.

Would anyone be kind enough to host/post up 2 pictures (1 of the stock and one of the piston) if I sent them to you by email?

Many Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Would anyone be kind enough to host/post up 2 pictures (1 of the stock and one of the piston) if I sent them to you by email?

Many Thanks.
    use tiny pic

no registration required.

Thanks. Hopefully this is a picture of the stock?

And this is a picture of the piston

The spring that it came with it has 28 coils is 3.83mm/0.15" in gauge and is 26.2cm/10 1/4" long if that is any help. I must see if I can find the spring spec thread!
    Last edited by averageplinker; 18-05-2016 at 08:59 PM.

I have done a bit more digging with the vendor today who couldn't remember if the bent barrel that came with it was the original or if the original was put on another HW80 he has that had the bent barrel (if you follow my meaning)

I have sent both serial numbers to HW in Germany tonight to ask for a date for them. The numbers are pretty close so I am expecting them both to be from the 80s (how appropriate )

Nice one,these stocks were from ARH i think.They look like his style any way.

Please excuse my ignorance, who are ARH?

Air Rifle Headquarters.
    Jim Maccari in the States.Still trading today.

Thanks.

Here are the pictures I had found on the net/on here ages ago that I had forgotten about when looking at the stock before I bought it...

Venom 80 Hunter

Your rifle is a venom 80 hunter. Which was done in 1983. Ivan and Dave reworked the stocks on these, JM only did the later stocks ie webley venom custom shop stuff. A nice rifle of airgun tuning history. Mach 1.5

Thanks for all the info. She will get a sympathetic rebuild when I get hold of an o-ring or two to try out and I will report on her manners

Now where did I put that lump hammer to straighten out the barrel?

All the best

Rich.