Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help Identifying This JEM? 1900's air rifle for repairs please.

My turn to not read properly, in fact I completely missed your updated post and just took a bunch of pics to show that I'd actually done all that! . Yeah I was thinking more of spraying on some Gas+ overnight then putting the metal tab in my large vice and give it a twist in the morning. I also work on old Harley Davidsons so freeing up frozen parts is a necessary skill with those! . I needed you input so I didn't break something like a hidden pin or key-slot etc.. Thanks again for the help! I'll get out of the way when it starts to give!

Huh, still can't post proper attachments, bummer, sorry about that!

Excellent! Now I actually know what I'm dealing with . The screw came out on it's own accord so I'll need to replace it with a larger wood screw as this where the normal disassembly process went to pot, not helped by me removing the main stock bolt as I hadn't realised the plate was on a thread. thanks again, I've left the plate and it's threads to soak overnight in Gas+ so should unscrew tomorrow.

Question

Got the spring stop plate off with no hassle, just caught everything that came out in a canvas bag but what did come out surprised me after what I'd been told to expect, ironically my ignorance (of antique air arms) that had thought there would be a rubber or leather seal to replace was actually on the money! There's a rubber "parachute" seal by "HOLD TITE" that looks a bit worse for wear and some gasket material washers in there too, all held together by a metal washer that seems to have been peened in place. Any ideas anyone? Is this a modern upgrade from a known kit or something? Ideally being able to track down a replacement seal would be my first port of call but I have no idea if this is a purpose made seal for Gem cylinders or just a lucky fit done by someone in the same situation as me in the past! As you have been so helpful and patient with my learning curve I thought someone must have come across this set up before and know how to get replacement seals etc.. Oh the pin from the internal slide that attaches to the bottom of the cocking lever seems to have vaporised as I can't find it anywhere, I can easily knock up a new one but wondered if this might have something to do with the spring no longer locking back (as it was an issue before I disassembled it). Sorry for all the pics but thought there may me ware & tear danger signs I'm not familiar with. Thanks again!

The seal looks fairly old, so may be original? ...and yes I have seen that sort of seal before...not sure if this was done at the EG factory though?...could be?...but then it could also be that the importer/retailer (Roberts) carried out some improvements to their range of these guns? ...as Lane brothers certainly did do to their "Jewel" Gem, touting them as being strengthened and improved in adverts of the time.

Anyway, if you want to replace it as it is?...looks like you'll have to cut the old seal off and try to slide the washer down the spigot then peen the front edges of the spigot back in to get the washer off, then go from there.
    blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by DCL_dave View Post
    The seal looks fairly old, so may be original? ...and yes I have seen that sort of seal before...not sure if this was done at the EG factory though?...could be?...but then it could also be that the importer/retailer (Roberts) carried out some improvements to their range of these guns? ...as Lane brothers certainly did do to their "Jewel" Gem, touting them as being strengthened and improved in adverts of the time.

Anyway, if you want to replace it as it is?...looks like you'll have to cut the old seal off and try to slide the washer down the spigot then peen the front edges of the spigot back in to get the washer off, then go from there.
    Cheers! Any ideas where I could get a replacement seal and breach seal? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by shovelchop81 View Post
    Cheers! Any ideas where I could get a replacement seal and breach seal? Thanks!

You will have to make them and leather is probably the easiest material to use. You can build up the piston seal with a stack of thin leather washers if need be...(I'm sure that is what I have seen on this type of seal before...) ...you can make them oversize and work it down to size with rough paper and a drill...or mould them on wet having first soaked them in luke warm water, then put a jubliee clip around then to squeeze them down to somewhere near the final size...you could do much the same thing if you cut a strip of leather, soaked it and wound it around the spigot, then use the jubliee clip to hold it while it dries...

I can make you the seals if need be?
    blah blah

So no Hold Tite seals over the counter then? Ah well guess I better learn a new technique then! Thank you again for all the info and if I fail miserably at this it's great to know your kind offer is there! At least I have lots of leather!

Sure, you can use rubber tap washers if you like ...but leather is just as easy to source and use, and better suited to this purpose because it is less likely to swell and go gummy if attacked by oils, etc,...
    blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by DCL_dave View Post
    Sure, you can use rubber tap washers if you like ...but leather is just as easy to source and use, and better suited to this purpose because it is less likely to swell and go gummy if attacked by oils, etc,...
    Talking of swelling seals I'll try the old silicon oil soak trick on the old rubber first, I doubt it'll work but worth a try!