Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: F300S and F300SU ?

Quote Originally Posted by Herx77 View Post
    zooma. you don't by any chance have an original rear peep sight for a FWB 300s in your bits and pieces box?
    HERX77 .
    What that man ( ZOOMA ) hasn't got isn't worth having anyway.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Herx77 is offline "Instruments of the light"
    Would be interested if you would be willing to part with it? The one I have on the FWB300s at the moment is ok but unless I keep checking the tightness of the thumb screw it comes loose and liable to fall off the dovetails..
    Makes competitions interesting at times!.
    HERX77
    Fighter against the "Dark Arts" A stranger in an even stranger land.
    GC2+Leupold 14.4-34x45
    AA400 fac receiver+sidewinder 8.5-34x52
    Weihrauch HW77k fiddled with and doing what it wants to +Zeiss 3-9x36.
    Weihrauch HW90k
    Weihrauch HW97k learning from above,now sporting a Maccarri 77/97 target stock..+Bushnell 3200.Go on shoot one you know you want to
    Daystate mk3 RT Delux + bushnell 4200 8-24x 40Does what it should again & again.
    Fwb 124 + Optima was good is good!
    Webley Vulcan.

Herx77,

Have you tried 'blue' thread-locker (Loctite 240/242) ?

Does the cross-bolt engage properly in the slots on the receiver ?

The cross-bolt has a scallop cut out to allow easy moving when mounting ; before tightening, it needs to be rotated so the cut-out is upwards, to locate securely in the receiver slot.

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Herx77 is offline "Instruments of the light"
    Its not a true FWB300s rear sight. As for the clamp, when compared to what I believe is an original rear unit which has a centre milled slot along it allowing a longer contact area to apply the clamping force more efficiently over a longer section of the dovetails.This then allows a firmer lock without the tendency to come loose which mine does from time to time.
    To combat this I used bathroom caulk which holds and is flexible to absorb vibration.
    HERX77 .
    Fighter against the "Dark Arts" A stranger in an even stranger land.
    GC2+Leupold 14.4-34x45
    AA400 fac receiver+sidewinder 8.5-34x52
    Weihrauch HW77k fiddled with and doing what it wants to +Zeiss 3-9x36.
    Weihrauch HW90k
    Weihrauch HW97k learning from above,now sporting a Maccarri 77/97 target stock..+Bushnell 3200.Go on shoot one you know you want to
    Daystate mk3 RT Delux + bushnell 4200 8-24x 40Does what it should again & again.
    Fwb 124 + Optima was good is good!
    Webley Vulcan.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    As it happens I have a "brand new" one still in its original FWB hard (green coloured) foam box. It is so old it is probably a collectors item now apart from being a very handy item to anyone who needs a new sight for their FWB Match rifle.

I have had this for years (since the 70's ?) and have taken it out of the box a few times but cannot remember ever fitting it to a rifle as I have never had an FWB rear sight fail - but I must have thought I had a use for it at the time
    Still available - for a reasonable price !

This should appeal to the collectors as well as anyone that does not have the correct 300S/300SU rear sight fitted

There can't be many new and boxed FWB 300 rear sights kicking about can there?
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    There can't be many new and boxed FWB 300 rear sights kicking about can there?
    I suspect this is the only new and boxed FWB 300 rear sight available any where!

I would not use any thread locker, fit it in line as Russ suggests on the location groove, a simple spring washer helps to keep it tight through out a shoot. And the FWB sight always came loose if not checked, the trick with the FWB is to use a shilling (5p to the youth!) to nip it up, and check it through out shooting.

On all our rifles we always remove the sights after, and refit before use as the sights are the one of the most delicate parts of a rifle. But that form of clamp was never the most successful, and on the FWB is subjected to recoil as its on the moving bit, several manufacturers used that principle and they all came loose, the old Anschutz sight is worse, it still moves under recoil, and then its the opposite, once put on it can be a wrestle to get it off!

Its one of the charms of classic kit, modern sights with a simple claw (or two) don't loosen, we use them on small bore and heavy recoiling full bore rifles with no problems. Buy Bobs sight as a collectors piece, then if you are a regular shooter also buy a Gehmann compact (590), a superb sight at a budget price, as one to use, and it will never come loose.

Have Fun and Good shooting.
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Herx77,

+1 on Robin's suggestion of the Gehmann 590 : a lovely sight

I have one each on my HW99S & HW95 SuperMatch, and have found them to be excellent.

I have an Anschutz diopter sight (from a Model 54) on my TX200, and that has also proved to be excellent.

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

The modern Gehman sight probably is a better sight than the original FWB type.

If you want the sight purely for shooting then the Gehman would probably be the better sight - but if you want to keep the rifle authentic then the FWB original is the only option and good used examples can be found if you shop around.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.