Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Fraudster ruin our chosen pastime

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    The stock on the 80 does look like a Vantage, but IIRC weren't later Venom stocks made by Macarri in the US and finished off by Venom?

It may be that this is a Macarri stock that was direct imported.

The straight trigger blade doesn't look like any Venom example I have seen.

Ahh!

I asked on a HW80 group on facebook, Someone replied that Venom used to do these blades!

I googled 'HW straight trigger blade', Nothing was returned really but on the HW80 mk1 group on FB, This is a Venomised HW80 with a similar straight blade, The owner said it was a Venom offering..

Cheers, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Venom did indeed do a straight trigger blade option, but they were a bit more elegant than the one on your HW80.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    http://mynetimages.com/80f22cbefe.jpg

What was being said about self proclaimed experts?
    I never said I was an expert, just another BBSer gobbing off on the thread!

Venoms of that era weren't all that, Airmasters were the tuners of merit.

See, see how I gob! They don't call me The Airgun Expert for nothing, in fact they don't call me the Airgun Expert at all....

This is an intriguing thread. Going back to the OP opening post it looked like he had brought a wrong un, ‘royally fleeced’ and had been told so by ‘the only man I know who can guarantee me a clean and straight answer on venom guns’.

Now it would appear that this is an early ‘Venom’ albeit without the Lazerglide

Given that it was inspected, so worn and faded bluing would have been obvious to the buyer at the time of purchase and the seller offered to take it back, I can’t see any reason to call the seller a ‘fraudster’ on a public forum.

Or is there more to this story…………

Hmmm

He lied about the gun and the spec
    He lied that it had been verified by a well known professional.
    That particular guy is furious
    He got a lot more than he should've for the gun
    He is an Airgun coach and should know better.

But then again...
    He did say he'd take it back
    But that horse has bolted.

This isn't a court of justice. And I'm not trying to have him swing from the gallows. I've not even mentioned his name. I was simply starting a debate around how fraudsters tarnish our sport. And even those that seem above board or should know better do it!

It's been a healthy debate though and I've learnt a lot from the more well versed on venom authenticity for which I'm very grateful.
    https://www.walnut.black

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    It just goes to show that something called 'Venom' can end up being put in a poisoned chalice. A special blessing brings a special curse.

Stick to BSA Airsporters. I don't think Venom or anyone else (with the exception of May of London and BSA with its ludicrous factory Century model) tried to turn that into a luxury good. The only time you will get tuning provenance is when somone says 'that Mad Mickey Fenton from off the estate put an Ox spring and a mixture of hydrazine and hydrogen peroxide in it, shot a hole through his new fridge freezer and his wife chucked him out - but I cleaned all that out now'.

The very best tuned rifles are made by Jon Budd. They might look like they have been used all through the Russian Revolution, the Russian Civil War, the Second World War and Afghanistan, but they are definitely the best shooters.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    The very best tuned rifles are made by Jon Budd. They might look like they have been used all through the Russian Revolution, the Russian Civil War, the Second World War and Afghanistan, but they are definitely the best shooters.
    Are you saying the cosmetics need work

To be fair, knowing that I'm going to be attacking them in a fairly drastic fashion (welding, angle grinding, chopping, drilling, sleeving etc), and that often it's yet another experiment, I do tend to buy guns that whilst solid, are highly challenged in the looks department, so as to minimise the loss of value should it all go horribly wrong. Once I've got my house, however (prorities), I'm going to take a few guns up to Richard or Shaun to get them properly blued. So there.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Now it would appear that this is an early ‘Venom’ albeit without the Lazerglide
    I can't comment about the action not having seen it, but, based on the photograph the purchaser has supplied of the rifle, the stock is consistent with a pattern supplied by Venom - despite a certain comment to the contrary.

I imagine it was entirely possible that someone could have acquired a Venom stock and fitted to an action.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

its a copy

I can't comment about the action not having seen it, but, based on the photograph the purchaser has supplied of the rifle, the stock is consistent with a pattern supplied by Venom - despite a certain comment to the contrary.

I imagine it was entirely possible that someone could have acquired a Venom stock and fitted to an action.
    stave pope said its a copy not a custom venom so that’s it .and buyer can return it so was not ripped off and the seller may have no idea he was selling a copy

Interesting - how does one determine a copy of the stock from a genuine? Did Venom serial number their stocks to allow for later ID?

Looks a bloody good copy of one of their stocks if that is indeed what it proves to be.

Serious questions not an attempt at sarcasm in case anyone is wondering.
    Last edited by rockdrill; 25-05-2016 at 01:39 PM. Reason: clarification

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    So to sum up...

* The Venon that wasn't a Venom is actually a Venom
    * The action with worn & faded bluing and cheap foriegn guard was not obvious even on inspection beforehand
    * The only man who can guarantee a clean & straight answer on venom guns doesn't know what he's talking about.
    * The seller who offered you a refund is a 'deviant' fraudster.

Somehow I actually feel sorry for the seller in this tale of woe - as it would seem he's acted honourably and offered a refund which is all you could expect of the man really and you've chosen to slag him off regardless - seems a bit harsh TBH...

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Can anyone shed light on this HW80?

I was told the stock looked like a Venom Vantage, It has a strange straight trigger blade that some folk seemed to think was a Venom product! I bought it some years ago, The last owner said it was stupidly powerful after they shoehored a massive Ox spring in It was so harsh it felt like I was getting an electric shock through the hands with vibration!

Pic 1

Pic 2 (Trigger blade)

I chopped all the preload from the spring and it shoots like a dream now!!

Oh- It's a leftie too! And the barrel is from a HW85!!

John
    The stock is the same shape as the one on my Vantage, a rifle that Mr Pope has dug around inside of and confirmed is a Venom Mine is chequered rather than stippled though and I believe made by CS in Sheffield.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    So to sum up...

* The Venon that wasn't a Venom is actually a Venom
    * The action with worn & faded bluing and cheap foriegn guard was not obvious even on inspection beforehand
    * The only man who can guarantee a clean & straight answer on venom guns doesn't know what he's talking about.
    * The seller who offered you a refund is a 'deviant' fraudster.

Somehow I actually feel sorry for the seller in this tale of woe - as it would seem he's acted honourably and offered a refund which is all you could expect of the man really and you've chosen to slag him off regardless - seems a bit harsh TBH...
    To your points...
    No, the stock is a venom but it took three pages of this thread to identify it as such. The inner is bog standard and untuned.
    The fact the action was faded was never in question. The guard only revealed crude casting when taken off!
    The man in question saw the photo you saw and gave me a quick answer. I only sent him the action.
    The seller lied about it being validated by a gunsmith as Lazerglide, and its provenance. His entire story and pitch was fabrication.

My point is that's naughty. Particularly when you put yourself up as a guardian of the sport and Airgun coach.
    Yes he offered a refund, which was the right thing to do, but he's not the one to feel sorry for.
    If id lost the plot and gone for an immediate name and shame rant then the gunsmith who he implicated would be the one really suffering!
    And thats the point isn't it. The impact of dishonesty.
    But we all have our views, I appreciate that...

Quote Originally Posted by splosh! View Post
    stave pope said its a copy not a custom venom so that’s it .and buyer can return it so was not ripped off and the seller may have no idea he was selling a copy
    So it ISN'T a Venom stock? I thought it wasn't because the grain pattern shows it to be an inferior piece of wood, and also it has a nasty gloss finish.

Will we ever get to the bottom of this? The HW35 in a 55T stock looks awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    So it ISN'T a Venom stock? I thought it wasn't because the grain pattern shows it to be an inferior piece of wood, and also it has a nasty gloss finish.

Will we ever get to the bottom of this? The HW35 in a 55T stock looks awesome.
    Yep it is. the Venom Hunter ads check out. It IS a venom stock!