Thread: Webley Junior at Auction

Webley Junior at Auction

http://s864.photobucket.com/user/cin...tml?sort=3&o=0

Has anyone come across a Junior with a hole drilled in the cylinder like Item number 231?

Quote Originally Posted by trevor1 View Post

Has anyone come across a Junior with a hole drilled in the cylinder like Item number 231?
    Never seen that before. It looks like there are extra holes on the grips as well, so maybe done for mounting onto a board for open display, so if that was the case, maybe the hole in the cylinder was done to render the gun useless if stolen off the counter??? Just a guess

Lakey

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky

That's strange never seen anything like it until a few days ago when a Giffard came up at auction, that had a hole drilled in the trigger block for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Never seen that before. It looks like there are extra holes on the grips as well, so maybe done for mounting onto a board for open display, so if that was the case, maybe the hole in the cylinder was done to render the gun useless if stolen off the counter??? Just a guess

Lakey
    I would tend to agree with this explanation.

Hi Trev,

One of the Webley Juniors pictured on the factory display board during the 1970s appears to have had the same cylinder hole. Not sure why, as the pistol was fixed to the board via external clamps from what I can see. A black & white photo of the board appears in a 1970s issue of Guns Review as well as pg 155 of the 3rd edition of The Airgun Book by John Walter.

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

holy Junior

Yes John,and in one of John Atkin's articles on rare Webley bits and pieces,as well! I think it could even be the same pistol......If it is,it has been verbally described as a "sectionalised display pistol". Presumably the cut-out bits are on the left side?
    http://s864.photobucket.com/user/cin...csyr4.jpg.html
    On the other hand,it could just be an old Junior that has holes drilled in it to deactivate it!Regards,Trev
    Last edited by trevor1; 21-05-2016 at 10:19 PM.

Yes John,and in one of John Atkin's articles on rare Webley bits and pieces,as well! I think it could even be the same pistol......If it is,it has been verbally described as a "sectionalised display pistol". Presumably the cut-out bits are on the left side?
    http://s864.photobucket.com/user/cin...csyr4.jpg.html
    On the other hand,it could just be an old Junior that has holes drilled in it to deactivate it!Regards,Trev
    Hi Trev,

Yes, you are right - John pictured it too. If it is the ex factory Junior, it would be an interesting addition to any collection. More so than the ex so called Webley Museum pieces, which were only assembled several years before the factory closed and do not represent models that had been kept at the factory from new.

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22

Got it,scroll down link page for pictures

If you look at the back cover of 'Webley Air Rifles..." you will see an A4 full colour photo of a genuine Webley display board with the various pistols mounted and displayed. I would guess that the Junior discussed here either came from such a display board or was intended for use on one ?

Well done Trev.

That makes sense Slug gun.

John

Trevor, the sale included the collection of Brian Litchfield, he is noted as a retiring person but I wondered if you knew of him? I imagine a pistol with a hole drilled in it would only be of interest to a collector.
    I bought 5 Webleys (and very nice they are too) at the sale but did not attend.

That is probably the answer!

Hello Ray,well,fancy that.I know he has a photo of a skeletonised Webley in the Bruce book. No doubt this Junior belonged to him.He probably just replicated the holes seen in the UK Webley display Junior. Probably also accounts for the trigger on THIS Junior being silver..the UK display one looks to be black. Anyrate,thanks for the info. Glad you got some nice guns. I missed out on the Giffard which was cheap as French fries.........Trev