Thread: Webley service stock bolt

Webley service stock bolt

Anyone got some hints on getting the out, just picked up a nice example of this rifle today, but the stock is just a bit loose and I can't budge the bolt to tighten it up..

Iain D
    FWB 700 Universal, FWB65, Anschuz 1913, BSA Martini MK5, CZ452

Quote Originally Posted by Iain D View Post
    Anyone got some hints on getting the out, just picked up a nice example of this rifle today, but the stock is just a bit loose and I can't budge the bolt to tighten it up..

Iain D

Put the stock in a vice, butt uppermost and protected by lots of towels

I bought a cheap very large straight blade screwdriver with a square shaped handle.
    Put the screwdriver in the bolt head slot, press down very firmly and turn the screwdriver using a large pair of pipe grips or a large adjustable spanner , gripping the square shaped handle
    Hopefully that should do it.
    Remove the bolt , clean up with a wire brush and coat the bolt thread with copper grease.

Sam

i) is the bolt tight in the wood but loose in the action? Common for bolt to rust in the wood. If so clamp wood firmly with surface protection.
    Get/make a driver with hollow ground tip which fits snug in the slot across full width. The detachable tips for power drive sets are excellent
    if good quality. Fit driver in slot then apply a few sharp hammer blows. If it moves at all apply blows alternately to action and bolt.
    till free. If no joy initially set vertical an pour some white vinegar into the recess and leave overnight then as before.
    Try tightening before slackening.

ii) is bolt loose in wood but tight in action? If so clamp action with surface protection then proceed as before.
    The vinegar can be replaced by other lubricants but may stain the wood irritatingly.

Good luck. Patience, patience, patience.

Iain D
    Eddie's advice on removing a BSA stock bolt here may be of some use - the Mk2 Service and BSA bolts are different but similar IIRC.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Eddie's advice on removing a BSA stock bolt here may be of some use - the Mk2 Service and BSA bolts are different but similar IIRC.
    This is a bolt that is stock in the action I think as there is side to side movement of the stock ( no cracks yet!), it is minimal but it is allowing the but end of the stock to move 1/4 inch left to right, the stock won't rotate io the bolt and I'm not sure if ther are any locating pins or edges to watch out for.

I picked the rifle up yesterday and from my limited knowledge looks to be all there, I was told it was found in a house clearance after his uncle had died, they had no idea it had been there. Not sure that the .177 barrel was an after thought as the numbers do not match, I asked that if they find any more barrels to get in touch as it would be good if possible ( highly unlikely ) to have a matching rifle.

Is there anywhere I can get some diagrams or strip down instructions for this rifle?

Many thanks so far gents for your valued input

Iain

This is a bolt that is stock in the action I think as there is side to side movement of the stock ( no cracks yet!), it is minimal but it is allowing the but end of the stock to move 1/4 inch left to right, the stock won't rotate io the bolt and I'm not sure if ther are any locating pins or edges to watch out for.

I picked the rifle up yesterday and from my limited knowledge looks to be all there, I was told it was found in a house clearance after his uncle had died, they had no idea it had been there. Not sure that the .177 barrel was an after thought as the numbers do not match, I asked that if they find any more barrels to get in touch as it would be good if possible ( highly unlikely ) to have a matching rifle.

Is there anywhere I can get some diagrams or strip down instructions for this rifle?

Many thanks so far gents for your valued input

Iain
    There's this diagram from Troubledshooter's gallery.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

There's this diagram from Troubledshooter's gallery.
    Many thanks, that at least gives me something to work from, hopefully when I get on a bit with this rifle I will post some pics and comments would be most welcome, then it will be the agonising choice of leave well alone or fully refurbish..I hate that part, both options have there merits. If it was all matching action and barrel then I would leave well alone.

Iain

Many thanks, that at least gives me something to work from, hopefully when I get on a bit with this rifle I will post some pics and comments would be most welcome, then it will be the agonising choice of leave well alone or fully refurbish..I hate that part, both options have there merits. If it was all matching action and barrel then I would leave well alone.

Iain
    I found this pic too which seems to show a locating peg.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

As said above, there should definitely be a tight fitting locating peg, so don't do any sideways turning movement of the stock if at all possible.
    The advice given in posts 2 & 3 should enable you to release the bolt.
    Good luck.

I found this pic too which seems to show a locating peg.
    That's one of mine. PM if you need any other info. J

Just to let you all know, I have managed to get the stock off in one piece, threads are all cleaned up and it is all back together .
    That's a cracking photo of the rifle disassembled and let's me see what too expect on the inside. The channel that the barrel slips through is sitting with a cant downwards on the right. As seen on the top of the rearsight leaf,must have a slight twist somewhere in the linkage.

That's for another day to sort that one out.

Iain