Thread: Southern Gun .30 calibre reloading

nbarker is offline Cannot shout, well thanks for indicating you prick anymore

Southern Gun .30 calibre reloading

I have an SGC in .30M1 carbine. Normally loaded with 110gn round nose heads using N110 powder.

I've been given several hundred 7.62x39 heads, namely 123 grain .30 cal heads.

I'd like to shoot my rifle at say 300m and I know I can do that with the 110 grain heads, albeit with significant drop and being round-nosed rather than spire-tipped.

It's been suggested that I could load the 123 grain heads into the .30M1 cases for use at this range/longer, being a bit more aerodynamic. They'd have to be single-loaded, as they wouldn't fit the magazine.

Is this possible and has anyone ever done it?
    --
    Neil Barker

No. 7.62x39 uses a .312" (7.92mm) bullet, whilst your .30 carbine uses a .308" (7.62mm) bullet.

Likewise, unless your carbine chamber is particularly long as well, so as to accommodate a spire point bullet, which is unlikely, you may have other issues even with correct calibre bullets.

You should mike those 123gn bullets.
    They could be 308 or 311. Depends what make they are.

A guy used to win the 100/200/300 yard gallery rifle comp at Bisley by doing this.
    I think he used 135gn smk`s.
    Many disgruntled marlin owners!

nbarker is offline Cannot shout, well thanks for indicating you prick anymore
    Thanks for the replies guys - perfect sense.

I'll forget that idea then!
    --
    Neil Barker