Thread: flintlock musket

flintlock musket

Hi chaps
    I have recently acquired a flintlock musket and I know nothing about it ,so I thought I would ask the experts but they couldn't help either 😉 , no seriously is there any body on here that may be able to help if I were to send some pictures too?
    A brief description of the musket is overall length of 56 inches ,barrel length 40 1/2 Inches, no barrel bands as the barrel is pinned to the stock,proof marks on the top left hand side of barrel, proof marks on the frizzen, some proof marks to the rear of the action (cock)
    The barrel is clear and will blow through and looks like it may be 12 bore ish calibre, looks to be complete Cocks half and full with strong trigger pull ,
    Any info would be greatly appreciated
    Many thanks Graham

Pictures would go a long way in helping to identify the musket.

Are the proof marks English?

Measure the bore at the muzzle. If it is a 12 bore it will measure about .729"

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    Pictures would go a long way in helping to identify the musket.

Are the proof marks English?

Measure the bore at the muzzle. If it is a 12 bore it will measure about .729"
    Thanks for replying, I have sent some pictures to Stephen (loiner 1965 ) the barrel bore measures .700 I'm hoping Stephen might identify the proof marks
    Thanks again Graham

Quote Originally Posted by grezoor View Post
    Thanks for replying, I have sent some pictures to Stephen (loiner 1965 ) the barrel bore measures .700 I'm hoping Stephen might identify the proof marks
    Thanks again Graham
    It was proofed in Birmingham and a commercial barrel
    Send a pic of the outside of lock please
    Thats my humble opinion and I do struggle with some proof stamps as some are clearer than others
    Just got a restoration piece EIC SEA SERVICE PISTOL to restore and the stamps are quite rusty on that lol
    Last edited by loiner1965; 25-05-2016 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    It was proofed in Birmingham and a commercial barrel
    Send a pic of the outside of lock please
    Thats my humble opinion and I do struggle with some proof stamps as some are clearer than others
    Just got a restoration piece EIC SEA SERVICE PISTOL to restore and the stamps are quite rusty on that lol
    Cheers Stephen
    Pics incoming but there are no signs of makers name that I can see, it's a case of what it's worth really because it will be for sale at some point
    Many thanks for your help Graham