Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phoenix

Phoenix

Well its the Phoenix this weekend. Who's going?

I will be going on Saturday. Was going to be helping my mate on his tables but he lost all his bookings due to the complete mixup that emerged by the change that took place. Anyway I will be taking up a few items, a Titan MPT, FAS 604, Airmatch 600, Crosman SA6, a new Webley MK VI pellet version, and a Weihrauch HW45. Taking a lovely Haenel 28 and a Webley MK 1 pistol for fenny. Hope the reduced size of the show does not affect it too much.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

I hope to be there Friday.

Not sure quite what to expect but hope to see some friends old and new as well as a few guns!

This may be the last ever Bisley fair

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

I'm a relative newbie here. What is the Phoenix and where is it? Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I hope to be there Friday.

Not sure quite what to expect but hope to see some friends old and new as well as a few guns!

This may be the last ever Bisley fair

John
    Hi John,

I hope the Phoenix, Imperial and Trafalgar meetings continue to include an Arms Fair even if the Pavilion is no longer available to host it.

Hope to see you there on Friday.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Mobiasstrip View Post
    Hello Steve,

The Phoenix is a shooting meeting arising from the old National Pistol Association event held annually before the 1995 breech loading pistol ban. The meeting is held at Bisley in Surrey each year and always includes a supporting Arms Fair with quite a few collectable air guns on offer. The National Rifle Association own the venue and have recently taken back the lease for the Pavilion building where the Arms Fair is normally held. Apparently, they have plans to renovate and change the use of the building, which may mean some difficulty in finding an alternative site for the Arms Fair.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Mobiasstrip View Post
    It's a prestigious shooting weekend, there are also exhibitors and traders-including some selling vintage airguns at massively over inflated prices
    Never go off half cocked....

All lies matter

Just got back and it is very hard to be positive about the NRA's organisation of this long running and popular event.

Compared to previous years, when the Pavilion was full of dealers, as was the marquee outside, the verandah and the tents outside, damp squib is possibly an overstatement.

Very poor show with only one classic airgun dealer in attendance. Lots of free space available for stands but most dealers who used to regularly attend were told the bookings were full

Very disappointing and an embarrassment

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22

The traders list published by the NRA was pretty long, and featured most of the usual traders... It could be that some won't arrive until the weekend, with Sat and Sun being the most popular days..??

Quote Originally Posted by Daryll View Post
    The traders list published by the NRA was pretty long, and featured most of the usual traders... It could be that some won't arrive until the weekend, with Sat and Sun being the most popular days..??
    Friday was always a popular day in the past with many traders having left by the Sunday. The fact remains the NRA discouraged many of the regulars by claiming bookings were full. Only part of the venue is being used this year.

Just as well public entry was free...

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Friday was always a popular day in the past with many traders having left by the Sunday. The fact remains the NRA discouraged many of the regulars by claiming bookings were full. Only part of the venue is being used this year.

Just as well public entry was free...
    Thanks for the feedback John, I'll still give it ago tomorrow, but I did think airgun dealers were sadly missing from the NRA's list of traders attending.

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    Thanks for the feedback John, I'll still give it ago tomorrow, but I did think airgun dealers were sadly missing from the NRA's list of traders attending.
    I used to love this show, which is why I am so disappointed with this year's effort. Nevertheless, I hope you and anyone else yet to attend enjoy tomorrow and find something I may have missed. On a more positive note, I did enjoy a chat with quite a few show regulars.

I did see a 1920s BSA Standard with what looked like an LSA aperture sight for £145. The sight was about all the rifle had going for it though, as the finish was almost in the white. A cut down rearsight was utilised as a foresight, the tap lever was loose and was flapping about like a pair of kecks in a gale (can I say that?), the stock plug was missing and the trigger guard was a replacement. The sight was probably worth £75 and to be fair to him, the dealer offered me the rifle for £125 but I wasn't sure if the rifle was worth the extra £50!

Another dealer was kind enough to show me a boxed Hammerli CO2 conversion kit, which was intended to turn a bolt action full bore into an air rifle trainer but he was reluctant to sell. I'll pass the pics I took to Garvin for the Vintage Airgun Gallery for those who may be interested in this classic piece of kit.

The only thing I bought was a 1980s Airgunaid catalogue - remember them?

My apologies for the negative tone of my posts on the Phoenix - when I think of how successful this event was in the past, it is very frustrating to see what the NRA have done with this year's trade show.

John

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Just got back from Bisley. There are probably only 1/3 to 1/4 of the traders there today than on previous Fridays. I suppose that some may have given up on Fridays and it will be more populous tomorrow but I am very disappointed - there's not much point in opening it at all on a Friday with so few traders present.

Anyone going tomo please report if there are more traders there.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Phoenix

I made enquires with regards to taking a table or two but was told it was fully booked so not really sure what's going on down there. Hopefully there will be future events when they sort out what they are doing we'll have to wait and see.

Oh dear
    Any breakfast about?