Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phoenix

Bisley

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Oh dear
    Any breakfast about?
    I've heard the National Clay Shooting School up by William Evans does a good all day one!

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I used to love this show, which is why I am so disappointed with this year's effort. Nevertheless, I hope you and anyone else yet to attend enjoy tomorrow and find something I may have missed. On a more positive note, I did enjoy a chat with quite a few show regulars.

I did see a 1920s BSA Standard with what looked like an LSA aperture sight for £145. The sight was about all the rifle had going for it though, as the finish was almost in the white. A cut down rearsight was utilised as a foresight, the tap lever was loose and was flapping about like a pair of kecks in a gale (can I say that?), the stock plug was missing and the trigger guard was a replacement. The sight was probably worth £75 and to be fair to him, the dealer offered me the rifle for £125 but I wasn't sure if the rifle was worth the extra £50!

Another dealer was kind enough to show me a boxed Hammerli CO2 conversion kit, which was intended to turn a bolt action full bore into an air rifle trainer but he was reluctant to sell. I'll pass the pics I took to Garvin for the Vintage Airgun Gallery for those who may be interested in this classic piece of kit.

The only thing I bought was a 1980s Airgunaid catalogue - remember them?

My apologies for the negative tone of my posts on the Phoenix - when I think of how successful this event was in the past, it is very frustrating to see what the NRA have done with this year's trade show.

John
    Hello John

I have to agree that from an air gun perspective the confusingly organised Phoenix Arms Fair was a bit of disappointment this year. Fortunately, I continue to have an interest in historic firearms so still found quite a bit of interest to make it worthwhile.

I also picked up a Crosman 105 pump-up pistol from Keith which is missing its rear sight, so I will need to fabricate something myself. This model seems surprisingly rare in the UK, so I was happy to take it while I could as the sight is a relatively simple thing to make.

I also noticed the HBSA are promoting the Imperial Meeting Arms Fair in July, so hopefully that won't change due to NRA intervention !

Regards

Brian

I enjoyed it today.
    The weather and an excellent coffee van helped.

I agree there weren't many airguns but Fultons had some modern co2 pistols at excellent prices which I took advantage of.

Some excellent custom knives and some interesting bits off piste.

Traffic back South heavy but moving.

With work and more Traders it could revive.
    Plenty of room for outdoor stalls.
    I suppose we have to wait and see.

Bisley

Agree with Gingernut regarding the Coffee van, classic Citroen Van from 1974 the owner told me! The burger stall however didn't appear to know what had hit them. If you wanted a full English, Clays Cafe at the clay centre were doing a roaring trade.

Yes fewer traders, and airgun sellers woefully lacking, but still a good show.

Roll on the one in the tent on 9th & 10th July.
    Last edited by coburn; 28-05-2016 at 06:47 PM.