Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Call for airgun licencing in England

Aardys is offline Formerly Old gun/git/ formerly oldcliff/formerly (watch this bleddy space)...
    how come if we are in the EU that we have restrictions on gun laws
    the rest of the EU, is far better than us , ????????
    so much for EU eh ..all one nation ,,, eer not
    only whats suits them ,
    Getting Old

Quote Originally Posted by Aardys View Post
    we all know that they will be banned one day ,, im just surprised we made it to 2016 and still have them .
    i sold all my valuable guns years ago. now i have a couple of cheap plinkers with no value ,
    gone are the days of a 1500 field target rifle ..
    the ban it brigade always get their way
    Who's side are you on here ?

It wouldn't surprise me if the CPL, dont cut and paste this straight into their next propaganda leaflet. Nice one !!!

What ever happened to all airgunners sticking together ?? Talk about Turkeys voting for Christmas !!

We're all doomed!

Sorry couldn't resist.

Oh well I suppose everybody is entitled to their opinion.

Fortunately the ratchet doesn't always tighten, as classic car owners will tell you:

Since 30th September 2013, motor cars, motorcycles and light goods vehicles manufactured or registered before 1960 have been exempt from the mandatory MOT testing.

The Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA) continues to offer tests on a voluntary basis, but only at the request of the vehicle owner.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Aardys View Post
    we all know that they will be banned one day ,, im just surprised we made it to 2016 and still have them .
    i sold all my valuable guns years ago. now i have a couple of cheap plinkers with no value ,
    gone are the days of a 1500 field target rifle ..
    the ban it brigade always get their way

LOL Its The Airgunbbs Morale Officer

http://www.cats.org.uk/news/new-camp...paign=advocacy

Scroll down for the campaign video!

I rather like the earlier suggestion of licensing cats, especially if they are killing "275 million other animals a year"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz49mpNCYNz
    Last edited by StephenJH; 26-05-2016 at 07:07 PM.

Aardys is offline Formerly Old gun/git/ formerly oldcliff/formerly (watch this bleddy space)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Fortunately the ratchet doesn't always tighten, as classic car owners will tell you:

Since 30th September 2013, motor cars, motorcycles and light goods vehicles manufactured or registered before 1960 have been exempt from the mandatory MOT testing.

The Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA) continues to offer tests on a voluntary basis, but only at the request of the vehicle owner.
    yeah this is true , firearms of historic value over a 100 years old are allowed .
    )
    Getting Old

Quote Originally Posted by StephenJH View Post
    http://www.cats.org.uk/news/new-camp...paign=advocacy

Scroll down for the campaign video!

I rather like the earlier suggestion of licensing cats, especially if they are killing "275 million other animals a year"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz49mpNCYNz
    Apparently the domestic cat shares 95% of its genes with a lion.

Hunting is therefore instinctive for them.

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    ...Hunting is therefore instinctive for them.
    So license them

To those that like the idea of licensing:

Imagine that you had to get permission for each and every air gun, justifying each one and paying a fee.
    Imagine you had to pay 05200 for a secure cabinet.
    Imagine you couldn't buy pellets mail order.
    Imagine airgun shooting sports were a fraction of the size, so everything costs twice as much and you have to travel twice as far to buy anything.
    Imagine your airguns are all certificated and any you justified with target shooting (only on approved ranges) are limited to 6ftlb.
    Imagine your local club becomes unsustainable as people leave the sport.
    Imagine having to get approval to shoot over land from the police.
    Imagine handing in all those air guns you can't justify with no compensation.

Licensing is pushed by people who don't like guns or shooting. They want to impose restrictions on you but won't give anything back. Licensing will do us no favours.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    To those that like the idea of licensing:

Imagine that you had to get permission for each and every air gun, justifying each one and paying a fee.
    Imagine you had to pay 0„5200 for a secure cabinet.
    Imagine you couldn't buy pellets mail order.
    Imagine airgun shooting sports were a fraction of the size, so everything costs twice as much and you have to travel twice as far to buy anything.
    Imagine your airguns are all certificated and any you justified with target shooting (only on approved ranges) are limited to 6ftlb.
    Imagine your local club becomes unsustainable as people leave the sport.
    Imagine having to get approval to shoot over land from the police.
    Imagine handing in all those air guns you can't justify with no compensation.

Licensing is pushed by people who don't like guns or shooting. They want to impose restrictions on you but won't give anything back. Licensing will do us no favours.
    I think you're painting a very worst case picture.

First off, I really don't think that the CPL will be successful; this is the 20th year they have run this campaign.

If licensing ever came in, it would probably be some face-value system that required very minimal input from the police. In fact, it would likely be something akin to the fishing rod licence where you pay a small fee in order to use rod & line over a year. In the case of airguns, much longer than that.
    The police are so over subscribed with 'real' firearms licensing that many areas, including Thames Valley force, that they're 9 months behind in processing applications. Adding airguns to this is simply too much for them.

They don't want licensing...and neither do I, but I don't think it's the totally negative nightmare scenario that you seem to suggest.
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Perhaps we should license cats. They kill wildlife, and crap in other peoples gardens, spreading disease like toxoplasmosis. Only responsible people should own a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    Perhaps we should license cats. They kill wildlife, and crap in other peoples gardens, spreading disease like toxoplasmosis. Only responsible people should own a cat.
    Cats can't shoot other peoples' pets therefore the argument is flawed.
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Reading these licensing threads over the last week, it pains me that we styggle to come together as a strong voice against those that wpuld see our hobby restricted, in any way. Like Snock said , 20 years in a row the cpl have campaigned yet we seem to sit tight and await the next barrage of media abuse and trust in the basc and others to sort it out for us, and hope we come out with our guns.
    Maybe its time we all start actively supporting a body that will run campaigns for 20 years in favor of relaxing legislation and making shooting sports MORE accesible and acceptable to the wider society.
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by snock View Post
    Cats can't shoot other peoples' pets therefore the argument is flawed.
    I didn't argue that they did - to suggest a cat could use a gun would be absurd, though cats (and dogs) do sometimes kill other pets and wildlife - sometimes even humans. Perhaps they should be licensed.