Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose a 'scope

Help me choose a 'scope

Yet another scope question.

Hello, this is my second post if I include my introductory one. I have been having some good results with my recently aquired .22 BSA Lightning XL/SE/GRT in my limited space back garden range which is about 20 yards or so. Groups initially have been an inch but after some work I’m getting probably half inch or so.

The rifle came as a kit with the scope being a Hawke 3-12 X 50 AO IR. I cannot find this particular model on Hawke’s web site so I am assuming that it is a dealer special and it is produced to bundle the “kits” that I have together. Anyway, I have a feeling that the rifle is maybe over-scoped, therefore I am considering a change.

I may put this Hawke scope to one side and save it for a later purchase, (maybe a pcp and/or something purely target orientated), and get something a bit different for hunting purposes.

I have been having a look at a couple of 3-9 X 50’s, one of these is an AGS, (Webley), this one;

http://www.jsramsbottom.com/products...mm-mounts.html

And the other is a Nikko Stirling, this one;

http://www.jsramsbottom.com/products...-mounts-n.html

To me both these scopes seem to be good value and light years away from what was available to me back in the early 80’s when I last shot seriously. Do you think that my suspicion of the present scope / rifle combination being over specified is founded, and that the 3-9 X 50 is more in keeping with hunting, up to say 25 / 30 yards?

Thanks in anticipation.

Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post
    Yet another scope question.

Hello, this is my second post if I include my introductory one. I have been having some good results with my recently aquired .22 BSA Lightning XL/SE/GRT in my limited space back garden range which is about 20 yards or so. Groups initially have been an inch but after some work I’m getting probably half inch or so.

The rifle came as a kit with the scope being a Hawke 3-12 X 50 AO IR. I cannot find this particular model on Hawke’s web site so I am assuming that it is a dealer special and it is produced to bundle the “kits” that I have together. Anyway, I have a feeling that the rifle is maybe over-scoped, therefore I am considering a change.

I may put this Hawke scope to one side and save it for a later purchase, (maybe a pcp and/or something purely target orientated), and get something a bit different for hunting purposes.

I have been having a look at a couple of 3-9 X 50’s, one of these is an AGS, (Webley), this one;

http://www.jsramsbottom.com/products...mm-mounts.html

And the other is a Nikko Stirling, this one;

http://www.jsramsbottom.com/products...-mounts-n.html

To me both these scopes seem to be good value and light years away from what was available to me back in the early 80’s when I last shot seriously. Do you think that my suspicion of the present scope / rifle combination being over specified is founded, and that the 3-9 X 50 is more in keeping with hunting, up to say 25 / 30 yards?

Thanks in anticipation.
    Its really going to be down to you the scope you have might just be a old model that's why it is not on there website this also is a good scope http://www.jsramsbottom.com/category...copes-simmons/

I've used Nikko Stirling scopes on my air rifles for the past four years. At one time I had four rifles, and each of them had a 3-9x40 AO Mountmaster fitted. For the money they're pretty good scopes. I expect to get my FAC sometime in the next few months and already have another (same) scope ready to fit to what will be my new .22lr.
    HuMa regulated S200 .22...
    Artemis PP800 .177...
    Weihrauch HW45 .177

Why would you want a scope with a 50mm objective lens on handy little rifle like the Lightning? It spoils the balance and handling characteristics. A 32mm scope would be far more appropriate and also allow you to use lower mounts - an advantage in several ways. Don't be fooled into thinking bigger is better - when it comes to scopes, it doesn't always work like that.

As for magnification - 12x, even 9x is a bit of an overkill if you're only shooting at 20 yards. A good fixed 4x would be more than enough and if you want a zoom, consider a 1.5-5x or 2-7x....

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    Why would you want a scope with a 50mm objective lens on handy little rifle like the Lightning? It spoils the balance and handling characteristics. A 32mm scope would be far more appropriate and also allow you to use lower mounts - an advantage in several ways. Don't be fooled into thinking bigger is better - when it comes to scopes, it doesn't always work like that.

As for magnification - 12x, even 9x is a bit of an overkill if you're only shooting at 20 yards. A good fixed 4x would be more than enough and if you want a zoom, consider a 1.5-5x or 2-7x....
    I'm with wabbit man here..., but with a little more mag..., I think a good bench mark is 2-7 for .22 and 3-9 for .177. This is for pure hunting with a bit of room for some long range plinking
    As for objective., a quality 32mm will wipe the floor with a cheap 50mm.,
    So look for some quality glass I recon in a 3-9 as it is about the most versatile mag range, with up to a 40mm objective.

Take a look at the vantage & panorama ranges from hawk, panomax from Niko for the budget options & Nikon prostaff, Vortex diamondback ranges for a step up in glass quality

I forgot to add, that with a simple rifle like yours you may just like a simple scope... A fixed 4 or 6 (I personally think 6 is optimal) might also give you plenty of satisfaction
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

I've the same 3-12 Hawke scope - super scope, why get something less capable / versatile?

I used my Hawke for hunting, plinking and HFT.

No reason to change unless you're finding weight a problem and weight is seen a a good thing for target shooting. The Hawke isn't a heavy scope anyway IMO

I'd stick with what you have unless you pick a dicipline that it doesn't suit and I can't think of one....

The Hawke will be a pre 2015 model, because they had a big change around, of the three you mention I'd say it's by far the best (& the mountmaster the worst by a long way) but I agree that it probably is too much for that rifle.

The only real answer is for you to look through the ones you have in mind & then buy the one which suits your eye best.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    A 32mm objective is questionable and will probably lead to you trying to sneak a sideways peek while using a public lavatory. A quality 33mm is a much more manly size and will stop these unhealthy cravings.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    A 32mm objective is questionable and will probably lead to you trying to sneak a sideways peek while using a public lavatory.
    Have you bought that new Gaystate that you've been drooling over yet?...

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    Have you bought that new Gaystate that you've been drooling over yet?...

Haha! No, but Rhys did!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Thanks for your replies.

It's all falling into place now after reading and re-reading your comments. Yes, the rifle felt very agile in the flesh but since the scope was fitted it has taken on a awkwardness which I'm realising is the size of the lens's and length of the scope in relation to the rest of things, nothing seems to flow like cocking, loading, and sighting etc, if you know what I mean.

Sightline? there's a thing, when the scope was 1st mounted we could not get it zeroed so had to put the lowest mounts on and even now the elevation adjustment is nearly on its stops.

So, I'm leaning towards 3-9 x 40 AO as an allround compromise but not quite sure which make/model yet, possibly another Hawke or Nikko. Question, is the IR really an advantage in the real world?

Portzy,

For many, many years I used a Simmons Whitetail Classic 1.5 - 5 x 20 on my TX200.

For me, it was an excellent scope, and did absolutely all I needed : compact, clear & bright - superb

I only recently swapped over to a Hawke 10 x 42 Sidewinder 30 because I do a lot, lot more target shooting in the 50 to 60 meter range now.

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Haha! No, but Rhys did!
    Errrrrrrr..., I'd never have bought it if I'd known you drooled over it (and there my beautiful dream was lying on the floor, choking on its own blood breathing out for the last time as it drifted into its final sleep forever)
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post
    since the scope was fitted it has taken on a awkwardness which I'm realising is the size of the lens's and length of the scope in relation to the rest of things, nothing seems to flow like cocking, loading, and sighting etc, if you know what I mean.
    This is common. You'll see many people in gunshop waving a rifle around commenting on its handling/balance not really taking into account the scope they'll fit. Look for something fixed power, lightweight and best quality you can afford with 40mm or less objective. I usea Weaver k4 on Supersport/Lightning - 4x38 and just 9 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by POK! View Post
    I usea Weaver k4
    Lovely. My pal has a steel-bodied K4W on his HW80 - awesome quality....