Thread: Gem question

Gem question

I bought another Gem last week, nothing remarkable but in decent condition with nice Eisenwerke trade marks. I've little interest in shooting it but like to check them out with a couple of pellets.
    It cocked nicely but on firing the trigger jarped my finger with a hell of a shock as the piston reached the end of the stroke. Looks like it's due a strip down to see why it's doing it, has anyone here had this problem? If so what do I need to look for?
    It's not possible to use it this way, the last time I felt anything this painful was getting the stick at school.
    Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by mel h View Post
    I bought another Gem last week, nothing remarkable but in decent condition with nice Eisenwerke trade marks. I've little interest in shooting it but like to check them out with a couple of pellets.
    It cocked nicely but on firing the trigger jarped my finger with a hell of a shock as the piston reached the end of the stroke. Looks like it's due a strip down to see why it's doing it, has anyone here had this problem? If so what do I need to look for?
    It's not possible to use it this way, the last time I felt anything this painful was getting the stick at school.
    Mel.

Hmmm...sounds like the piston is bottoming out or hitting something...Look at the cocking shoe and how it engages the piston, it is possible that the cocking shoe has been put in backwards...either that or the piston seal is knackered (if there is one fitted...it may not be original) or if there is no seal just a machine fit piston then it may have a leather or rubber buffer washer in the front end of the cylinder which is damaged or missing...guess you'll have to open it up and have a look, Mel.
    blah blah

Thank you Dave, It's gone on the shed list, along with a few more projects.
    Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by mel h View Post
    Thank you Dave, It's gone on the shed list, along with a few more projects.
    Mel.
    No worries

Been thinking some more and here is a simple test you can do without taking it apart.

If the cocking shoe is in backwards, there will be no free play in the barrel and cocking link...so if it feels like it is tight to cock from the very start of the cocking stroke, i.e. the barrel does not drop away when the barrel catch is released, so it must be acting on the piston straight away....then the chances are that the cocking link has been put in backwards - with the lug towards the back of the gun...if so then it should be the other way so that the cocking shoe sits over the rear end of the piston...you may even be able to see in through the cocking slot if this is so...a simple fix if it is, take it out and turn it around so that the lug is towards the front of the gun.
    blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by DCL_dave View Post
    No worries

Been thinking some more and here is a simple test you can do without taking it apart.

If the cocking shoe is in backwards, there will be no free play in the barrel and cocking link...so if it feels like it is tight to cock from the very start of the cocking stroke, i.e. the barrel does not drop away when the barrel catch is released, so it must be acting on the piston straight away....then the chances are that the cocking link has been put in backwards - with the lug towards the back of the gun...if so then it should be the other way so that the cocking shoe sits over the rear end of the piston...you may even be able to see in through the cocking slot if this is so...a simple fix if it is, take it out and turn it around so that the lug is towards the front of the gun.

Hi Dave,

Still have the large cardboard box filled with 'goodies'. Nothing has been removed.

If all is back to normal, and you want them back, please let me know. Failing health means that they will have to go
    into storage otherwise.

Regards,
    Eric
    Demic, miserable, grumpy old git! Feinwerkbau Sport Appreciation Society.
    I don't mind what sexual, religious or political persuasion you are, just don't impose them on me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Herpquest View Post
    Hi Dave,

Still have the large cardboard box filled with 'goodies'. Nothing has been removed.

If all is back to normal, and you want them back, please let me know. Failing health means that they will have to go
    into storage otherwise.

Regards,
    Eric
    Hi Eric,

You have PM
    blah blah